How much longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had our 2005 Pontiac Vibe since new (now at 195k km/121k miles). I had done several UOAs in the first 5 years or so and all seemed good. For the past 5 years or so the OCI has been about 1 year (no detectable oil consumption).

This May 2019 will be the one year mark for this current fill of oil (M1 0W30 AFE). But I now see that in this year the car has accumulated less than 5k km/3k miles. But I would bet none of this mileage has been on a HWY.

So what say you regarding the OCI for this car given this driving routine ie still once a year or ?

i just changed my aunts 99 cheroke's 4.0 6 cyl oil, 6 qts with less than a thou on it, it looked very thin for a 10-30 + smelled a bit gassy ALL short winter trips!!! oil is cheap engines are not!! been changing every 6 months for years + although it being a 99 it seeps quite a bit its dead quiet + runs great with only 99 thou on it. it works + she loves its great visibility + after shopping a bit decided its a keeper!!

Keep changing it like you have been. Shortened city trips might spell fuel dilution and judging by the age/miles, your oil might even contain x-amount of coolant.

I like to change it once before the hot months of summer and once before the cold months of winter. That way I'm not stuck in any extreme changing oil.

Yeah id change it once a year. You could switch to conventional even. The 1zzfe is easy on oil. I have an 07 Corolla at 266k kms. I have done 10k kms and oil could of gone further, granted it didnt exceed a year.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Change at 5K anything less on AFE is a waste of time and money.

Changing oil once a year is not going to break the bank though, and if there is a lot of fuel in the oil due to the short trips it could save you the cost of more expensive repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back