How Much is Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After changing my oil I accidently overfilled it. Its only about an 1/8th inch above the full mark, should I worry?

In a word, no.
wink.gif

Well, if the oil is two inches thick in the bottom of the pan, an extra 1/8" is an additional 6.25%. So, if the capacity was 4 quarts for a change, than that's an extra 8 ounces or, 1/4 quart. If your car uses a quart every 3000 miles, you'll use the overfill in 750 miles.

Most of my Fords have a statement in the owner's manual saying that it is OK to have the oil above the hatchured safe zone, but not past the F of the word FULL. The F is about 1/2-inch above the hatchured area. I usually keep it 1/4-inch above, but have had it nearly to the F in my overzealous topping up.

How much do you guys think is too much? I'm thinking I should just put a little extra in my 4.0 jeep engine until it stops putting most of it on the freeway.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
How much do you guys think is too much? I'm thinking I should just put a little extra in my 4.0 jeep engine until it stops putting most of it on the freeway.
smile.gif

Sounds like you have a leak and need to keep it high to get from point A to point B while not getting too low. If it's that bad you need to fix the leak. As for how high can you go, check the owner's manual, look at the level after an oil change as typically I see it 1/4-inch above because they will allow a quart for the filter (Motorcraft FL-1A), but it only holds 3/4 of a quart. Certainly you are running too much if oil consumption increases, it starts leaking out seals, or the oil starts foaming from being beaten by the crankshaft. Foaming can destroy your engine because it leads to air entrapment in the oil pump and lines--bad news. But I would think these are caused by extreme overfills.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
smile.gif

Sounds like you have a leak and need to keep it high to get from point A to point B while not getting too low. If it's that bad you need to fix the leak. As for how high can you go, check the owner's manual, look at the level after an oil change as typically I see it 1/4-inch above because they will allow a quart for the filter (Motorcraft FL-1A), but it only holds 3/4 of a quart. Certainly you are running too much if oil consumption increases, it starts leaking out seals, or the oil starts foaming from being beaten by the crankshaft. Foaming can destroy your engine because it leads to air entrapment in the oil pump and lines--bad news. But I would think these are caused by extreme overfills.

It definately requires some fixing, but it's not undriveable - yet. I don't drive too many miles, so it's not that hard to add some more oil, I've usually got the hood open for something else anyway.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back