How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Toro mower a couple of months ago. Break in oil change at 5 hours, I refilled with Delo 10w30 and that oil has about 5 hours on it. I checked the oil after I mowed earlier today after it cooled down and it was about 1/4 quart low. That seemed a bit much for such a new mower. It didn't use a drop of the factory fill. Will it slow down after its broke in more? None of my old mowers used that much oil.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Try using a straight 30

That's what I topped it off with.

Glass being 1/2 full is that it isn't broken in yet. I usually check the level before I mow. B+S used to advise 30w. THe use of other viscosities was OK but warned to expect oil consumption. Whatever you use, keep an eye on the oil level.That's OPE 101
grin2.gif

Its not the requiring of oil, it just seems like you have defective equipment or you did something wrong. Like when someone says it doesnt burn a drop like its not a thing. Then you come along and try to put everything in mint condition and it is using oil. 1 minute and a $7 quart of oil every 5,000 miles or a few times a year seems like nothing and kind of is (to us at least).

It may be extra work and responsibility but at least it happens to us who check often and not to those whose hood doesnt get unlatched until the next oil change or when something goes kaput.

It bothers me to make something worse when never having bothered it was working out fine, but this may be a side effect or by product in trying to get highly tuned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
Bought a Toro mower a couple of months ago. Break in oil change at 5 hours, I refilled with Delo 10w30 and that oil has about 5 hours on it. I checked the oil after I mowed earlier today after it cooled down and it was about 1/4 quart low. That seemed a bit much for such a new mower. It didn't use a drop of the factory fill. Will it slow down after its broke in more? None of my old mowers used that much oil.

Which engine and what is the oil volume requirement?

Seeing inside many a Briggs and Stratton motors over the years I'm surprised they don't all use oil at a copious rate. If there's a corner to cut or a penny to save, Briggs has found it.

Something doesn't sound right. Did you have the mower level, and in the same spot both times you checked it? Are you sure you had it full when you first topped it off after you changed it? After I change oil on small engines, I always fill to "full". Then run the engine for 5 or 10 minutes. Allow it to settle and cool off, then check it on level ground.

A 1/4 quart is 8 ounces of oil. That's a lot for a small single cylinder, 4-stroke gasoline engine to consume in just 5 hours. I would think if it did burn that much, you would see some evidence of it by seeing blue / white smoke from the exhaust, along with a fouled spark plug. That, and the fact you said it didn't seem to lose a drop of the original factory fill, makes me think it isn't burning it. Engines either burn oil, or they don't. I'm betting it didn't burn it. You most likely didn't have it filled all the way for whatever reason, (trapped air in the crankcase, or not on level ground).

Now that you have topped it off, I would keep an eye on it over the next several hours. If it is burning that much oil, there should be some positive evidence of it.

I recall having a similar observation with a B&S V-Twin. What I've since learned is that it can take two or more days of sitting on a level surface in order to get an accurate reading. I suggest that you check the oil before starting, after the machine has been idle for a few days. Odds are that there is no significant oil consumption.

I always check oil after letting engine sit overnight. I’m leaning with Astro_Guy

I don’t think you have an engine problem. Top it off and make sure its full. Give the oil time to settle out. Mow and let it sit overnight and check the oil level the next morning.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Which engine and what is the oil volume requirement?

Toro 24.5 engine. Manual said 10w30 or strait 30 weight or synthetic 5w30. The oil I used was 10w30 semi synthetic.

Last edited:
I have a 10 year old toro recycler mower, I have used 5/10w30, 20w50, and sae 30 and it runs like new, no oil loss. Right now have a mix of 10w30 and 5w20HM. Starts in less than 4 pulls. Your engine should be broken in by now. Keep using 10w30 and keep an eye on the oil level. Oil use should stop

Last edited:
According to the manual, that engine has an oil capacity of 2.4L, so using a 1/4 of a quart during break-in doesn't sound excessive. Just do as the others suggested as far as properly checking the level and keep an eye on it.

Ok gentlemen. I have mowed a few more times since the last time I had to add oil. I have let the mower sit over night after mowing and oil has been right on the full line. When I checked it and it was low it had sit for hours so I don't know what happened. I installed a hour meter to keep up with service so time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back