How much FREE quality motor oil would you take/stock?

As a purely fun thought exercise containing magical stipulations, and nothing more, how much free quality motor oil would to take and store. It can be any brand name oil sold at Walmart, Autozone, Napa, and similar retail outlets. But the stipulations are is that it must only be used by you or immediately family, and never be sold, traded, or used for any profit whatsoever. It's purely for personal consumption and must be stored on your premises and used only for your family or privately owned business vehicles. It will magically vanish if you charge a penny in value to anyone for any oil. You can have as much as you'd like to take with you in 1 trip to/from the store. It must be picked up today by the end of the day.

How much would you take? And would it impact the oil brand choice or the types, brands, and numbers of cars you drive and your OCI frequency habits?

As a purely fun thought exercise containing magical stipulations, and nothing more, how much free quality motor oil would to take and store. It can be any brand name oil sold at Walmart, Autozone, Napa, and similar retail outlets. But the stipulations are is that it must only be used by you or immediately family, and never be sold, traded, or used for any profit whatsoever. It's purely for personal consumption and must be stored on your premises and used only for your family or privately owned business vehicles. It will magically vanish if you charge a penny in value to anyone for any oil. You can have as much as you'd like to take with you in 1 trip to/from the store. It must be picked up today by the end of the day.
How much would you take? And would it impact the oil brand choice or the types, brands, and numbers of cars you drive and your OCI frequency habits?

Lucky guy!

You can stock a lot more and even move it from Europe when the government pays for your moves.................

Not as much as you just did because I dont want hundreds of jugs laying around plus you can always find deals some where

I bought more than 400qts in 2014 AutoZone sale (plus AZ employee discount at the time) and I just ran out of that particular stash recently when used the last M1 AFE 0w30 in 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. It's nice having a stash, but I wouldn't do it again. Not to that extent at least. Currently got around 40qts from other deals and sales, and feel like that's plenty to keep on hand and just replenish on the go as needed.

Well, considering I already have 150 qts sitting on my shelf at an average cost of $0.51/qt, not sure.
If I could sell my current stash and then get more "free", I would probably take another 150 qts.
I have had up to 200 qts at one time, but that was a bit much.
With 7 vehicles I regularly service plus a extra vehicle here or there, it would last me 2-3 years.
Would filters come with the oil as well?

It would not adjust my oil change intervals.
I would probably grab 130 qts of some 10w-30 name brand synthetic (Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol etc) and then 20 qts of name brand 10w-40 synthetic oil for my motorcycle.

I still have a good 20 quarts sitting in my garage now, down from 50 or so...but I have a ton of space to add 100’s more...if I ran out of room I’d could always ask a neighbor to store it for me. So, I’ll go with one million.

I ordered 6 cases containing 3 jugs each. 5 litres each jug. Basically enough for the car's lifetime if I'm not too zealous. Picked it up an brought it home in one go, stored in the basement. Nobody is getting their hands on any of it. It wasn't just some oil, it was THE oil I wanted. Not free though....

I would take 20 cases of the 5 quart jugs. I would change oil every 3000 miles if it were free. I have lots of room in the basement furnace room. I would take more but my wife would literally have a meltdown. She is not a hoarder at all and doesn’t like any type of clutter. She would give it away and my stash would disappear due to breaking the OPs rules.

Right now, I don't need any. I have plenty. Say I didn't have any though, I would take 18 cases of something like Rotella T6 MV or perhaps T6 5w-40. The T6 MV only comes in 5w-30 and I feel our vehicles all do better on an xw-40 oil. That would be enough for about 4 or 5 years in our current vehicles. I don't see any one of them making it much past that as they all have well over 200K on them. Who knows, though. They could all go even longer.

Back