How much do you pack for a few days on the road?

610547F8-FF40-434E-84A5-FC8D1D42592F.jpeg

So this is how much we use for a family of 4 (2 adults 2 elementary school kids) for a 5 days 4 night trip within California. Basically 2 carry on 1 check in size suit case, 5 gals of water, shoes, bags of food, beach blanket, toys, etc.

Had a discussion with The Critics previously about how big of a car do we really need, and it seems like I have enough to pack even more if I want to but he would have to bust out his crew cab to fit a stroller and a cooler together (won't fit an Accord or a Prius trunk).

What's your typical road trip payload like?

View attachment 112077

So this is how much we use for a family of 4 (2 adults 2 elementary school kids) for a 5 days 4 night trip within California. Basically 2 carry on 1 check in size suit case, 5 gals of water, shoes, bags of food, beach blanket, toys, etc.

Had a discussion with The Critics previously about how big of a car do we really need, and it seems like I have enough to pack even more if I want to but he would have to bust out his crew cab to fit a stroller and a cooler together (won't fit an Accord or a Prius trunk).

A couple thousand bucks…
and a snub nose .38

One hardshell carry-on case with a Dopp kit, underwear, clothes and one extra pair of shoes. Possibly one extra travel bag with gear for planned activities.

Actually, I do. If the chlorine is filtered it actually taste fine. You drink tea once in a while too right? It is just like a very "bland" tea.
Not the taste, although the taste from the plastic jug isn't too great, but temperature. Not very refreshing. For a road trip I just put some fake ice in a cooler along with some bottled drinks.

For two adults and two kids that’s pretty light if you take away the water. On our twice yearly beach trip 2 adults, 5 nights my Chevy Avalanche bed is full ( with bed cover panels in place) with 2 beach chairs, beach umbrella, cooler, one large wheeled suitcase, small overnight bag, couple of large tote bags for towels, paper towels, TP, linens, snacks from home, Bocce set, flip flops, sneakers, couple gallons of distilled water (for coffee) and more of the wife’s girlie stuff like curling iron, makeup mirror, etc. Oh, and a box fan for sleeping…:sleep:.

For two adults and two kids that’s pretty light if you take away the water. On our twice yearly beach trip 2 adults, 5 nights my Chevy Avalanche bed is full ( with bed cover panels in place) with 2 beach chairs, beach umbrella, cooler, one large wheeled suitcase, small overnight bag, couple of large tote bags for towels, paper towels, TP, linens, snacks from home, Bocce set, flip flops, sneakers, couple gallons of distilled water (for coffee) and more of the wife’s girlie stuff like curling iron, makeup mirror, etc. Oh, and a box fan for sleeping…:sleep:.
Do you camp or do you stay in a "hotel"?

Me for a week: a small backpack.

Wife and kids for a weekend? gimme a large station wagon…
Same here.
I went for a week long motorcycle trip, had 1 large bag.

Family (me and wife with 3 teenage kids) went 2 nights to visit inlaws (450 mile drive each way) and had the back of the mid size SUV full.
I had just 1 medium bag. Wife had 3 plus a food bag. Son had 1 backpack. Daughter had a large and medium size bag.

You drink warm water?
I only drink warm water. Spent so much time in need of water, and only warm water was available- I not only got use to warm water, but I prefer warm water over cold water.

Opposite when it comes to soda or beer. I want and always ask for extra ice in my soda, and for a beer I put the glass and the bottle of beer in the freezer for 15 minutes before pouring the beer out of the bottle and into the glass.

How weird is that.....

We have a Cruze - wife and I would basically fill up the trunk for a 7-8 day trip, including groceries for the week when it was just the two of us, maybe a bit in the back seat. Basically a large duffle bag each and plenty of water, cooler and groceries. With kids, trunk does not fit much more than a stroller, probably no more than 2 bags - joys of an economy car. First family road trip will be interesting, or we'll just rent something for the occasional trip.

Back