How many use a new drain plug washer every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr.T, I'm surprised to hear the filter gasket comes seperate from the filter. Does BMW use Bosch filters? If not, then I'm sure Bosch makes a filter that works for it.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Dr.T, I'm surprised to hear the filter gasket comes seperate from the filter. Does BMW use Bosch filters? If not, then I'm sure Bosch makes a filter that works for it.

He's probably talking about a cartridge type filter. My Mercedes used a cartridge filter, and there was new o-ring for the cannister top in every filter box.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I wanted to get a quick drain valve for my Audi, but Fram didn't make a size that fit. When I asked a buddy in Germany to find a quick drain valve, he was told that they'd become illegal for safety reasons. Go figure...
shocked.gif

some crooks could reach under and drain out all the oil i guess.
rolleyes.gif

well, just as easy to pour sugar in the tank or slice a tire, cut a brake line, cut the fuel line, cut a coolant hose or pull a drain plug. Extremely extremely unlikely.

quote:

some crooks could reach under and drain out all the oil i guess. [Roll Eyes]

My car (and almost all new cars) has a belly pan. Good thing about it: Less dirt on the engine, and there are no more ferrets chewing on wiring.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
Depends - if its a Nylon "crushable" washer, I replace every time. Otherwise, if its copper or other metal, I use until it leaks, then replace.

Ditto - don't recall ever having to replace one, and no leaks, 'cept when I, like Bob, forgot to put it back on once; then it was a really minor leak, like a drop a day.

mine had aluminum washer that was seriously chewed up, like half the washer was gone. and slivers of washer was comming off. i replaced with a brass one and never looked back.

My 94 Impala SS has a steel washer with a nylon insert. In 8 years I have replaced it once, even though it wasnt leaking. I do check to make sure it isn't leaking. The LT1 engine does have several other leaks, Im embarished to say.

quote:

Originally posted by timzak:
Who changes their drain plug washer every time? Who has the oldest original washer still in use?

I have never had to replace an oil plug washer.

I have a 1990 Honda civic with 140k miles and the original washer. The car does not leak or burn oil.

I have a few other cars & motorbikes all on the original washers but they are not as old.

I shell out the $0.19 every time. I'm the kind of guy that when the service manual says "(Replace)" I replace. When I place an order with online parts dealers, I just tack a bunch of washers onto the order, along with a couple of the big ones for the manual tranmission fill.

When I changed my shocks, I went to the dealer to get replacement locking nuts for the mounting bolts. Dealer didn't have all of them in stock. Makes you wonder how closely their service department follows the factory repair procedures.

man u guys are talking about 10 cent or 35 cent washers. my washers from honda costs 1 dollar...what a rip (aluminum). i just went in my bottle-o-washers and put it on my car. i always noticed a leak...but thats cause my threads on my oil pan arent the best.

i wonder whats a good washer.

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
my washers from honda costs 1 dollar...what a rip (aluminum).

Your dealer is ripping you off. Majestic Honda (a dealer that sells over the web) lists "list price" as $0.27. They sell for $0.19. I'd print the price list from Majestic and ask them why they're charging three times list.

I feel so guilty, I've never replaced a drain plug washer. I never even thought about it until now. I need to stop looking at this site, the fastidiousness is starting to rub off on me.

I've never bought a new washer for any of the drain plugs on any car I've owned, but I often have spent 89 cents on a new funnel and then thrown it out after the oil change was done.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
OK, I'll bite. Why?

I guess I just didn't feel that I could clean them out well enough in the past. Although then I discovered that spraying brake cleaner on them was a super easy way to clean them, and then I just wipe a clean rag through it quickly.

I have done every oil change on my cars, and my parents cars since 1968. They include VW, BMW, Olds, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, IH, and Chrysler.

I have NEVER changed the washer, and have never had a leak.

My Honda civic manuals take and the website both specifically have a small section on this. Basically they state the crush washer is one time use and not to make the seal by overtightening the drain bolt as this may eventually strip the threads. At around $0.19 per washer from Honda I just change it.

[ July 07, 2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: harper ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back