How many times do you get dress shoes resoled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got in storage the same pair of "buck and wing" shoes my Great, Great Grandpa had when he was in the log cabin.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I generally resole shoes about 3 times. I now have 6 pair of leather-soled shoes, which I used to wear in rotation. I never wore the same pair 2 days in a row and used wooden shoe trees to keep them dry and in shape. I don't wear these shoes as much since I "retired". They were in the $250 - 275 range (though I haven't bought any in some time).

I threw out the shoes used for obstetrics. Anyone who has ever attended a delivery will know why. Shoes would work their way down the list and finish life as designated obstetrical shoes. I carried around the designated pair (in a bag) in the trunk.

I have one pair that had to have a major repair (a good name brand, where the upper separated from the sole on one shoe). I had a lot of trouble finding a cobbler who could repair them. The repair works well but is kind of ugly on close inspection. I've resoled them once but won't resole them again. I generally wore that pair on wet or snowy days.

My oldest pair was bought in Exeter, England in 1985. They're still going strong.

I checked the current prices and these shoes are more like $500 - $525 today. Wouldn't it be nice if inflation was your friend.

I used to wear cheap shoes, but better shoes look better, are more comfortable and (by having them resoled multiple times) provide reasonable value as well.

I have a pair of cheap dressy shoes that I originally bought to wear on wet or snowy days. But (though a well known brand) they are complete c--p. I wish they'd wear out so I could throw them out. Maybe I'll give them to goodwill to get rid of them.

Originally Posted By: toby7878
what does this have to do with oil

This thread is in the General and Off-topic section. You are probably in the wrong area of the website if your looking for oil related stuff here.

Link to passenger car motor oil is below..

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/Passenger_Car_Motor_Oil_(PCMO)

I don't wear dress shoes anymore, business casual is the order of the day.

Yes, the youngsters wear expensive dress shoes with their casual (leaning a bit towards dressy these days) as they haven't been in the business long enough to realize that they are not going to be given any extra credit in their performance appraisal, promotions, raises, responsibility or annual bonuses for dressing up. At least in my business anyway, it is strictly based on performance.

I'm still in a suit job in a trade that's conservative enough that as recently as 5 years ago I was not permitted to wear anything but a solid white, point collar shirt every day, and had to wear black lace-up leather soled shoes...a light blue shirt, slip on shoes or heaven forbid shoes that weren't black, would get someone sent home to change.

One piece of jewelry on each hand, no big gaudy watches, no gaudy belt buckles, belt had to be black as well, suit could be solid charcoal, navy or black, blue & gold company tie M-W-F, gold & blue ties on other days unless you were driving a coach or limousine, then the chauffeurs wore silver ties, and professional pallbearers wore black and silver ties.

Things are a smidge looser today...but not much.

Never. I have enough pairs to spread the wear around and don't wear dress shoes all that often.

When I wore a suit and tie to work everyday about 4 years. Now the last pair I bought in 2010 are hardly worn they'll likely bury me in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back