how many sidewall Ply's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I nopticed my Kumho 795 touring tires have only 1 sidewall ply.. Is that ok for regular old driving or am looking foward to an easy sidewall blowout ?

One ply is enough if designed right. Keep 'em full of air and don't scrape too many curbs parallel parking (even though the tire should have protection against that).

As said, 1 ply is the norm and most passenger car tires have this. I don't know about truck tires though.

Usually only high performance tires have more than one ply (two usually) to increase sidewall stiffness and improve steering response. Materials vary, like polyester, nylon, rayon, steel, etc. depending on how much strength is needed.

Blowouts usually have nothing to do with sidewall construction as far as I know, although if you run your tires underinflated/overloaded it increases the chance of this greatly because of stresses like heat.

What tire model are your wife's BFGs anyway (out of curiosity)?

quote:

Originally posted by goodoleboy:
They are BFG traction T/A mounted on a 2000 accord V6..

Ah, well that explains it then - that's a high performance (all season) tire, and is probably reinforced, which is why people seem to like its handling.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back