How many quarts does it take

Status
Not open for further replies.
to perform a flush (machine based fluid exchange) properly on a 2007 Ford Escape ATX? The manual says the ATX holds 10.2 quarts.

I would say 10.2 is correct.
grin2.gif

I would use 50% more than the unit's capacity. Therefore, 15 quarts would be the correct amount.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would use 50% more than the unit's capacity. Therefore, 15 quarts would be the correct amount.

Why?

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Why?

I didn't know exact amounts, but typically it is good to run a bit more through it than capacity to help insure as close to 100% fluid exchange as possible. I just didn't know if that was 2 quarts or 10 quarts extra.

At least the amount of the total system capacity. You could run 30qts through there and you still have some intermixing going on. I'd grab a 12qt case and be done with it.

Joel

There is some mixing of the new fluid with the old where they meet. The extra amount is to ensure most of the old fluid is flushed out. I'm not sure if you need five more quarts. I use two more. It depends on the application. Let the color of the fluid coming out help you determine when to stop.

It also helps to shift through the gears while flushing. It's satisfying to watch a wave of old fluid get flushed out through the clear hose when you shift through the gears.

If done properly a few extra quarts will remove 99% of the old fluid. The minute amount left over does not affect anything.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Why?

If you drain the pan before the flush and fill it, there will be little mixing of old and new ATF. If you do not then there will be some mixing thus the need for more QTs of ATF than the system holds.

As the cost of the ATF goes up (Amsoil is $8-$9) then its really cost effective to drain the pan first and not blow through a lot of extra expensive ATF to flush completely.

If you do the cooler line flush yourself, and if no drain plug, then an option is to run engine until you see air bubbles and then add new ATF and begin flush. If done this way there will only be maybe 1 QT of old ATF to mix with new, not 3-5 QTs.

*crunch*

Three.

>o.0
The world may never know.

Seriously, if it takes 10.2, remember quite a bit is in the TC and won't flush as easy. 12-15qts will be more than enough for a gentle flushing, and you might not even use that much before you're satisfied with what's coming out the line.

Start with a drain/refill or pan drop 1st and top off. Perform your flush with 10+ quarts of your favorite ATF depending on your 'budget' and ATF chosen. And be done with it.

For anyone that wants to know why more is better, take a 12 ounce empty glass, add 1 ounce of milk(your dirty ATF), put glass with milk into a container in your sink, slowly run your tap until that milk is overflowed out and nothing but clear water is left in your glass. Now, measure the amount of the milky container's water that your glass overflowed into.

This is why I drain/refill my ATF pan at relatively short intervals, like at every or 2nd oil change, or minimally once a year within reasonable mileage/cost intervals.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Start with a drain/refill or pan drop 1st and top off. Perform your flush with 10+ quarts of your favorite ATF depending on your 'budget' and ATF chosen. And be done with it.

For anyone that wants to know why more is better, take a 12 ounce empty glass, add 1 ounce of milk(your dirty ATF), put glass with milk into a container in your sink, slowly run your tap until that milk is overflowed out and nothing but clear water is left in your glass. Now, measure the amount of the milky container's water that your glass overflowed into.

This is why I drain/refill my ATF pan at relatively short intervals, like at every or 2nd oil change, or minimally once a year within reasonable mileage/cost intervals.

Once I flush to a fluid I am 100% comfortable with, I then hope to drain/fill with the same fluid every other oil change or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back