how many plugs are in your tire?

I've had two in the same tire before. I actually have one now because I'm shortly upgrading to the new NT-05s. One thing is for sure, once there's a plug in there I limit any sort of top end activity (not that I do it often anyway).

gonzo

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I've seen 3 or 4 in one tire. If done properly, not a problem, really.
I feel better now.

I'm pretty sure I have been up to three and wasn't short money at the time. There is nothing wrong with three internally installed plugs done right.

Win

I thought plugs destroyed the speed rating of a tire? I have one in a tire on the S-10, and a bunch in the John Deere, but I would not tolerate a plugged tire on one of the Pontiacs or Jags.

Originally Posted By: Win
I thought plugs destroyed the speed rating of a tire?
Old ladies rule of the thumb is to reduce the speed rating by one grade on a motorcycle tire when it's plugged. I would be less concerned on a car tire. That assumes a well installed internal plug. I would be as paranoid as you are for externally installed rope plugs.

Back when I had just gotten my 2nd car I was broke & desperate. Bought a used tire. Looked at the tread but didn't look inside it. Got a nail in it and went to have it repaired. The guy pulled it off then told me there was no way he was going to patch it. It already had 16 patches in it. After that I inspected any used tires much more closely.

On the slimy rope plugs we've had up to 4 or 5. The most in a single hole: 2

Had an external rope plug for years in a pep boys tire on my dakota dump runner. No issues. Wouldn't do it on an MC tire, wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride afterwards.

Before I satrted doing business at Discount Tire, I had at least one maybe two of the external DIY rope plugs for many many miles. Worst that would happen is after some time the tire might develop a slow leak at the plug site. The closer to the edge and if up front, in front drive vehicle, the shorter they would last. Now though, I'd take it to DT to get it fixed from the inside or replaced.

I've had two in two tires on at the same time. That's external, too. I ran over a board with two nails in it. It got both my front and back tires on one side. I've had no problem ever with plugs. However, in that situation, I used it as an excuse to go to tire rack and by a new set of General Altimaxes.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Before I satrted doing business at Discount Tire, I had at least one maybe two of the external DIY rope plugs for many many miles. Worst that would happen is after some time the tire might develop a slow leak at the plug site. The closer to the edge and if up front, in front drive vehicle, the shorter they would last. Now though, I'd take it to DT to get it fixed from the inside or replaced.
The Seconded day of owner ship with this Taurus, i ran over a screw on the front tire..... Went and bought a external rope plug kit, put it in, and did not have problems..... 4K miles now. But i should carry an extra, just because.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
What's the rule of thumb for us old men ??...
Drive fast enough not to block the traffic, but slow enough to be safe with any tires.