How many people go with Amsoil 25K changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

But 10K, 15K, 20K sound rediculous considering the thermal breakdown, soot, acidity, silicon, etc. issues you are sure to encounter.

Unfortunately ..few ever go that far to determine what happens. I did (10k with analysis) and will go even further next time.

quote:

RARELY if EVER does Amsoil make it to 25k miles with what I would call, good results.

In all fairness to Amsoil (I haven't tried it yet) I don't discount their claim for 1 year/25k miles. Take a look at many dynos for the recommended OCI ...do they fair as well or about the same?

You've got to keep in mind that we look (here on BITOG) in "ideals" ..not the practical world. Amsoil will probably give as good if not better service in a vehicle that "could" be maintained under the manufacturers OCI. Naturally conditions and restrictions apply. Would you subject your engine to anything that it would not experience with dyno over a 6 month/12k mile (or 7500 miles?) OCI ..probably not. Would you experience any substantial increase in costs in the vehicle over the life of ownership?

That is, how could anyone "here" accept a 25k/12month OCI ..when they would never accept a 6 month/7.5k mile OCI with dyno? I imagine that the UOA between the two would be about the same ..i.e. "normal" wear. Normal wear that would not appreciably degrade the performance of the vehicle over the typical term of ownership.

I ran my 92 Toyota 22re at 25k oil changes with the 10w30 ATM and a bypass. Also went as long as 4 years without changing out the oil. Now at about 110k.

I will probably have only 20k miles and 2 years on 15w40 in my 2000 Excursion diesel when I change it out for the Series 3000 5w30. I will probably do analysis at the same time. Look for it next Novermber/December.

Daryl it's not a marketing scam. There are some caveats for sure.

I certainly don't recommend it on a new car, a car with "issues". I don't recommend it without at least one oil analysis. And I certainly recommend building up to it.

AND Amsoil does NOT recommend 25K or 1 year for ALL cars, ALL engines, or ALL oils.

Some cars it's less the 10K or even 6 months.

I went 20K miles/13 months on my $28,000 Volvo. BIG FRIGGING WHOOP!!! The oil was in pretty good shape, actually. Didn't wear any more (via wear metals in the oil) than if I was dry starting it every 3K miles, and looking to dispose of 30+ qts of used dino oil.....

I change mine every 6,000 with AMSOIL but both my vehicles are still under factory warranty. I am still happy with the cost as I am skipping one oil change plus my time to do it. Plus getting a better oil.
2003 Dodge Ram 4.7l
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8l

[ March 25, 2004, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: RANDYZ ]

quote:

Originally posted by Darryl:

I have 2 high flow air filters (S&B) that I rotate every 3,000 miles, could they go longer? Yes...... But what fun would that be?

Darryl

For one thing, you would be getting a **** sight better filtration if you ran them 40,000 miles between cleanings like S&B recommends. Would getting maybe 30% as much dirt into your engine as you are getting now be fun?

I have a low opinion of Amsoil the business (the product is OK), but running 25,000 miles on Amsoil with UOAs saying the oil is good makes a lot more sense than delibertly keeping an oiled air filter operating at it's most inefficient cleaning condition.

[ March 25, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

I tend to agree with Darryl. Even if the oil survives the 25,000 miles in some sort of basic-liquid-ish form, I think the idea of intentionally going that far is asking for trouble.

Classic case of penny wise, pound foolish.

"Hey dipstick, change yer oil!"
mad.gif

Pushing any oil this far really is a form of abuse. Sure, some engines will survive this kind of mistreatment, but that doesn't make it right.
nono.gif

--- Bror Jace

XS650:

I have lived in the So Cal high desert my entire life, I have raced on and off road, 2 & 4 wheel since age 6.

I have used K&N style of filtration for conditions that you cann't even imagine (trust me, PLEASE!!).

The myth that these style of filters will destroy your motor is almost as funny to me as 25,000 mile OCI's.

Sure, if you wrap 10 socks around your filter it will filter better, but at what cost to to air FLOW??

Keeping a fresh air filter on a performance machine is a GOOD thing, if you spent any time at the track or better yet INSIDE your own motor, you would know this first hand.

I will admit that a constrictive paper style filter will filter out more crud than a high flow style filter, but the differences are too minute for me to give it a 2nd thought.

The next time anybody goes to Baja, check out whats being run on the intake side of the motors.....Here's a hint, it's not made from paper.

Darryl

patriot.gif

I recommend the following, for the Amsoil 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30/10w-40 synthetic oils:

For V-8s and very high performance, four cylinder engines - 12,000 miles/1 year
For V-6's - 15,000 miles/1 year
For non-turbocharged, four cylinder engines, with modest power levels - 20.000 miles/1 year

In all cases, I'd change the Amsoil SDF oil filter and topoff the crankcase after six months ...

You will get excellent long terms results if you follow those guidelines ....I'd feel entirely comfortable running those change intervals without the benefit of oil analysis.

Tooslick

quote:

Originally posted by Darryl:
XS650:

Keeping a fresh air filter on a performance machine is a GOOD thing, if you spent any time at the track or better yet INSIDE your own motor, you would know this first hand.

Darryl

patriot.gif

quote:

The myth that these style of filters will destroy your motor is almost as funny to me as 25,000 mile OCI's.

Do you use red herring oil on your filters, you seem be tossing a lot of them around.

I didn't say or imply that oiled cotton gauze filters would dust an engine in 25k miles, why toss that red herring into the conversation.

quote:

I will admit that a constrictive paper style filter will filter out more crud than a high flow style filter, but the differences are too minute for me to give it a 2nd thought.

Who compared oiled cotton gauze filters to paper filters, why toss that red herring into the conversation?

quote:

I have used K&N style of filtration for conditions that you cann't even imagine (trust me, PLEASE!!)."

If the conditions you are talking about are worse than operating in dust that limits visiblitly to less than 10 feet for 200 hours without air cleaner maintenance, than you might have something there. That was in serious off road vehicles, not toys.

quote:

Then you should tell K&N and S&B that they don't know what they are doing when they say to run their filter 40,000 miles between cleanings under normal conditions. The truth is they do know what they are doing because the cleaning efficiency starts going way up about the time you clean yours and start over with your filter passing the most dirt it will pass.

quote:

Sure, if you wrap 10 socks around your filter it will filter better, but at what cost to to air FLOW??

Who said anything about 10 socks? More red herrings. The air restriction increase between a fershly oiled cotton gauze filter and a well used one isn't very much, that's one of the reasons K&N and S&B tell you to run them a long time between cleanings.

quote:

The next time anybody goes to Baja, check out whats being run on the intake side of the motors.....Here's a hint, it's not made from paper.

Some Baja racers don't run cotton gauze filters on their road cars because of what they see in off road racing.

Oiled cotton gauze filters are popular in off road racing because the have a very good combination of filtration and dirt holding capacity, not because they are the best filters.

red herrings??? English por favor
rolleyes.gif

We'll discuss air flow vs filtration in the appropriate forum.

red herrings?????
dunno.gif

Darryl

Been using AMSOIL for over 25 years now. On non-turbo engines, ran for a year and up to 30,000 miles. In the turbos, normally a year or 10,000 miles. In the older cars that just sort of hang around, maybe 3-4 years between drains.

In that time, I've been rear ended, brake masters have failed, A/C units leaked, oil pressure senders have gone bad, belts have broken, coolant hoses have needed to be changed, cars have been rear-ended, stones have broken windshields, sheet metal has rusted out, and pieces just broke. I'm sure that none of these things would have happened if I hadn't had AMSOIL in the cars.
Oh yes, and a daughter stopped a pickup with the side of her car after going through a stop sign.

Yet to have a lube-related problem in engine or transmission. And, seldom use oil analysis---.
Daughter and husband did lose a Saab automatic transmission due to cause which was lube-related.
He neglected to check level, and there wasn't any in the final drive.

Buster, I tend to agree with you. My motor is a good candidate for this sort of thing. Low power density, big sump, low rpms, etc. While my wear rates/1000 miles were low, the oil was exhausted by the end of this interval.

This is my first post in this site, its very similar to a camaro site I frequent for my 69 camaro.
First I should say that I was employed by Amsoil for 3 years in the late 70's in dealer training and correspondence but I also have used Amsoil since 1976 in every car, truck, boat, rv, 4 wheeler lawn mower, chain saw, ice auger, leaf blower Ive ever owned.
In that time, Ive always gone a full year with depth filter change at 6 months on my cars. On several occasions I had it lab tested and it was found to be good for " continued use" after a year, but I changed it anyway.
The oils WILL perform as advertised in mechanically sound engines. The company warrants that in writing. Ever see that on a petro oil can?
The debate on extended drain intervals has gone on ever since Amsoil first used the 1 year, 25000 recommendation in 1973. Alot of folks dont want to believe it since it flys in the face of the 'norm'.
And thats ok, different strokes for different folks. However, with disposed oil becoming such a huge problem, even engine makers now are moving to 7500 mile oil changes with proper quality lubes. European cars have long been at 7500 mile change recommendations. Do they drive differently? No.
The dino oil folks have alot of folks convinced that frequent changes are necessary. Well yes they are, for petro oils, 3000 miles is their good life. It also sells another change of oil.
Think of 20 quarts of oil dumped into the used oil system versus 7 quarts of Amsoil in one year. To me that smacks of waste of both the oil resource and time and money, not to mention the reduced gas mileage and higher wear and tear on the mechanics of the engine.
There is no question that Synthetics are capable of much longer service life, much less friction and better cold or hot temp performance. They are made that way. Syns keep the jets flying over our heads every day. The labs can make an oil do just about anything but it costs money too.
Those that like to buy, change, dump and drive and then repeat 4 times a year are not 'wrong' for their method of maintainence. But the once a year change with proper filtration DOES work. Fleet tests of taxi's, school buses, semi truck fleets and millions of users have proven it over and over again that SOME 100% synthetics like Amsoil are capable of longer life.
Im a moderator of a similar car sit board and I enjoy the learning that Ive done over the years there. On the topic of Synthetics, Ive seen it all, heard it all and will be more than happy to swap usefull, factual and correct information with anyone who asks.
Hope that helps anyone with questions about one year oil changes. Go for it. Its your money.

smile.gif

I have realized that there are 2 groups of people on this board.

One group who loves (and takes pride) to see just how close to the edge they can get, in terms of oil life, and still keep their motor alive. They get alot of satisfaction in saying, "My oil has 'X' amount of miles on it and look, I still could have gone farther".

The other group (me
grin.gif
), wants the best oil and filter changed at modest OCI's. We get satisfaction from saying "My motor gets nothing but the best, as often as it takes..**** the money".

I have 2 high flow air filters (S&B) that I rotate every 3,000 miles, could they go longer? Yes...... But what fun would that be?

Darryl

Can't say extending the oil past 7,000 miles was easy especially if you are dino 3,000 mile changer...I kind of got used to it going past 10,000 miles on a 97 3.0 Ranger...but the Amsoil synthetic oil still lubed ok. I got 80,000 miles and the Amsoil 0-30wt runs silky smooth, quick with the peddle and jumps better than ever. I try not to drive hard with it and I think a lot has to do with the driver and driving condition. Going to have a Terry Dyson oil analysis at 5,000 miles just to check what's up in the engine...but I notice my engine never really heats up like dino oil would....with all pro's and con's I think synthetic does more positive than negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back