How Many People Bring Their Own Oil To Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many people bring their own oil to the dealer when car is under warranty to avoid problems with the warrantee?
Do you watch and make sure they use the oil you bring?
Sometimes the people that change the oil can be sneaky...

Last edited:
I bring oil and filter to my mechanic, I don't do oil change at dealer unless it was free. Chance for oil related engine brake down during warranty period of 3 years/36k miles is less than 0.01%.

but what if you do have a problem? will they try to blame the oil or the person that changed it? i like having dealer invoices just in case...
What about some of these car companies that have 100,000 mile waranties

Last edited:
They will likely blame the problem that occurs on something oil related on you unless you have EVERY receipt from the dealer for oil changes. and like stated before, an oil related failure before 36k miles is below .1%.. [censored] even at 200k on my civic I'm really not worried about an oil related failure..

I do. When I'm lazy, I just bring it to the Nissan dealer and have them change the oil and filter for $9.95 if I supply my own oil and filter.

I will on the next change on the CTS. The dealer charged me $85 for Mobil 1. He said his cost of the oil went up a lot. He said if I bring it he'll change it for just the labor cost. I change the Ford and Chevy myself. I don't want to mess with the 100,000 mile warranty in the high feature engine. I change the filter between oil changes myself since I live near the ocean and oil seems to get gritty on all our cars.

I always bring my own oil if I don't do it myself. Dealerships can get the oil you want, but they pay retail for it, then mark it up so that they make the same money per quart as they do on the bulk oil. For instance, they can gat Mobil 1 EP for 8.19/quart from autozone, then they mark it up to 10.50/quart.

I never have and hopefully never will have a dealer change my oil. For those who do bring their oil to the dealer, just make sure the oil you bring is the oil that actually makes it into your car. As long as you keep invoices, use the proper grade oil, with the proper specs, and show proof that the oil was changed as per the OM you'll be fine in the event of an oil related engine failure. If you use an oil that is not spec'd in the OM or deviate from the recommended OCI, good luck.

$25 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1
$5 for a filter
=$50 for labor

I really hope the engine got a happy ending with that oil change.

You should not have any warranty issues changing the oil yourself. Just keep a log with the exact mileage it was changed at and the receipts for the oil you purchased. It would rest on the dealers for them to prove that your oil change practices caused the failure of the engine.

Not to thread hijack but it's a huge misconception that the dealers have to do all the work on your car in order to keep the warranty. That is not true, as a matter of fact there are laws preventing that from being the case.

Talk about being dumb. When I bought my Tacoma in 2002 I got suckered in getting prepaid maintenance coupons for up to 55K. Basically it was oil changes, tire rotation every 5K. At 30K they did change my spark plugs and gave me a air filter since I was using a TRD aka AFE air filter. Even then I brought in my own oil. Redline 5W30 is what I used till 35K and after that it was Amsoil.

While it is under warranty, yes I do. The dealer is less than a mile from my home, they only charge me $10.00, and I get to stand there and watch. I bring my oil and filter and they do the work on all the 27 point inspection. I get a nice receipt that shows I provided a dexos approved oil and that they checked everything the manual says to check.

Perfect warranty safe transaction with no hassle. I also only buy my oil on sale. I got the Mobil 1 EP with an EP filter plus a quart for $36.50. Add the $10.00 the dealer charges, the security of having the dealer do everything and have a record of it for warranty purposes, and the convenience all for $46.50? You bet.

Last edited:
Maybe I have too much brain damage from hanging out on car forums, but in doing so, and personally knowing people who worked at dealerships, when the customer brought their own better oil in (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc) unless the customer stood there and watched, the percentage of those oil changes that were performed actually using the customers oil.... lets just say, the percentage was pretty low.

I have the dealer do it with my oil & filter. $10 labor and that includes checking the vehicle over as the other guy above talks of. My dealer also tops fluids off as needed( i.e. washer, brake, etc... )and also checks and sets the tire PSI as part of that $10. They also dispose of the old oil and filter at no charge so I don't have to do it. It is a no brainer to me.

My dealer is 100% honest and decent. They absolutely use the parts I provide. For $10 and 30 minutes out of my life this is a great deal IMO. I have no great desire to do OC's. Have done them before but for $10 someone else can do them no problem IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: quint
Maybe I have too much brain damage from hanging out on car forums, but in doing so, and personally knowing people who worked at dealerships, when the customer brought their own better oil in (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc) unless the customer stood there and watched, the percentage of those oil changes that were performed actually using the customers oil.... lets just say, the percentage was pretty low.

That has been my experience as well, and backed up by working at 5 different dealerships and having buddies in the shop. Maybe other parts of the country differ but in NY ripping off people seems to be the norm.

Unless I'm having a MAJOR problem that's covered by warranty or recall, the last place on earth I'm taking my car is the dealer... I'll change it myself and just keep the receipts...

Somtimes I do. Currently, because my back is healing, I've let both the dealership and my local shop do the oil changes. The local shop lets me watch, and the local is honest and will let me watch if I ask.

I bring my own oil and filter, but not just to avoid warranty issues. Even when my car goes out of warranty, the dealer will be easier to hold accountable for lapses than independent shops. I have no mess, no oil to dispose of.

Like NHHEMI, my Honda dealer has been honest about using the supplied oil and filter. If they ever did fail to use the RLI oil I brought and switched to Honda oil, I would easily discern the loss of smoothness. Incidentally, RLI is not API certified, but they only notice oil viscosity and OCI. They regularly show me the P1 filter they remove.

Dealer technicians who steal customer oil should be fired and arrested for theft. It's no different than directly stealing the customer's cash from their wallet. Dealers who fail to crack down on this issue should be reported to their company headquarters and the Better Business Bureau. This kind of corruption needs to be stopped dead.

All maintenence, including oil changes were free for the first 50K miles on my turbocharged Audi. But the dealer would use dino oil with a 10K mi OCI! So I always supplied GC for the oil change. The car is still going strong with very few problems after 100K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back