How many of you stock up on oil products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I try to have enough oil around for two more oil changes and at least that for filters, but usually double that. In the cars I personally drive I keep an oil change and filter in the trunk for a 'just in case' situation. So I have 2 changes of ST 10w-30, a change and a half left of MaxLife and two changes of Delco 1300, plus some random bottles of GTX, Shell and RP 5w-30.

I just bought another 2 cases of filters, so 12 filters of the car that I don't drive, 14 filters for my toy car and only 6 now for my beater.

Do most here buy enough oil for only their upcoming change?

I too have the illness. Right now I have enough oil on hand for about 5 oil changes. That's about the most I keep on hand...

I have a LOT of GC on hand, but at $3.60 a quart, I bought even more.
grin.gif
I could always use it in someone elses car.
cool.gif

I use to stock up but then I get upset when a new oil comes out and I don't want to use my old stock but the new product instead.

Case in point the new Mobil-1 0W30R and the 5W40 SUV oil.

I try to have enough on hand for at least two changes, usually more. I buy filters by the case, a box or two of 6 qts of M1 when I go to Costco if I'm down to about two changes worth.

One Sunday evening I decided to change my wifes oil. I got to putting the filter on and realized I didn't have one. The old won was damaged so I ran to the store trying to find a filter. Of course sunday night, everything closes early and the two closest wal-marts were out of her filter(ST3387), except in Fram.
gr_eek2.gif

I ended up buying the longer filter, and told her to "drive slow" the next day until I could pick up a new filter. The longer filter stuck down below the subframe about an inch.
mad.gif

From then on I keep plenty of filters in stock.
wink.gif

-T

I have thirty ST filters,two 5 quart jugs of Mobil1 10w30,three quarts of Amsoil 10w30,two quarts of Amsoil 5w30,one 5 quart jug of ST 10w30,and five quarts of ST syntetic 10w30.Yep im a oil freak now.

quote:

Originally posted by AtlasFBG2:
I have thirty ST filters,two 5 quart jugs of Mobil1 10w30,three quarts of Amsoil 10w30,two quarts of Amsoil 5w30,one 5 quart jug of ST 10w30,and five quarts of ST syntetic 10w30.Yep im a oil freak now.

Impressive. I
worshippy.gif
in your general direction.

We should have an award for who is the sickest person on the board. I have enough GC for 6 oil changes and about 14 oil filters.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
We should have an award for who is the sickest person on the board. I have enough GC for 6 oil changes and about 14 oil filters.

Pscholte has 140+ quarts of GC, so he wins the prize there!
smile.gif

I've got 50L of GC, mainly because I've been worried they might take it away on me. Everytime I'm confident it's here to stay, something seems to happen to make me doubt it (such as how my local Walmart hasn't restocked in a few weeks now and the shelf is empty)

I currently have eleven ST3614 filters, but I keep three Saturns running. I'm thinking of working part time this holiday at Walmart, just to get the 10% discount, so I can buy filters for $1.77. Then I'll REALLY stock up.
fruit.gif

Oil supply is a shameful odd lot of 10w30 superflo, etc., from various sales at Rite-Aid.

I have enough for 1-2 oil changes on my 3 vehicles. They take a total of 14 quarts. I think I have 2-4 filters for each and about 25 qts of various oil in the garage.

What is GC?

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:
Do most here buy enough oil for only their upcoming change?

cool.gif
Yes. Once I helped set up a just-in-time ordering system at a place I worked.
grin.gif
I don't mind buying it on sale if I know I have a change coming up in a week or two.

I'm no where near as guilty as the rest of ya.
Usually have 12 qts of oil ( 2 oil changes ) and pick up my filters the day before my oil changes.

I never keep more then two oil oil changes worth at any given time. I normaly buy my oil the day before I change it. If I have to mail order then I do it two weeks out. I do keep extra filters around though. I am useing those weird Toyota filters and I got a discount if I bought 6 at a time! Normaly I would only keep one extra on hand.

I have 3 cases of Amsoil and 3 gallons of Rotella T synthetic. Filters for my car and truck I get as I need them, but usually keep a few filter for my bikes on hand. I have a few odd quarts sitting around that will go in to the lawn equipment.

I've always kept some extra oil around in the shop.

Current vehicles in use are 3 Toyotas, 1 Mazda. 89 Cavalier is out on loan to a friend.

Two of the Toyotas, Camry and Sienna are the 3.0L 'Sludgeable
grin.gif
' V6's.
In the winter they get one or two Dealer Oil Changes in winter as soon as it reaches 5000kms. Saving 29.99 is still too cold for me!

From Spring to Fall I fill them with 50%Walmart Synthetic 5W30 and 50% Quaker State 5W30.
I keep a gallon jug of each oil with 6 Toyota oil filters.

Third Toyota us the 2.2L "Sludgeable
grin.gif
" I4, the one I drive most, an average of 1000kms each week, so it is filled with Rotella. I always keep 2 gallona of Rotella Synthetic 0W / 5W -40 on hand and 2 Toyota Filters for this car.

I
grin.gif
because it is a good excuse to change the oil.

offtopic.gif
I buy one each time I change the oil to be able to show a reciept, plus I get a good discount at my dealer. I also buy Air filters 6 at a time as all three use the same one. Denso-USA makes them and seem to be built much better for tapping
rolleyes.gif
than the Wix type I tried once for the same price. I make it a habit to "tap" the air filter on the driveway to shake out any loose dust and clean the air box of bugs, dirt and sometimes seeds.

Note: I find that a clean Intake air helps keep the engine, AND oil cleaner!!

The Mazda Protege is my wife's car and has 3L of Castrol 5W30 synthetic always on hand, 1 oil filter and 3 Air filters.
I found it very hard to find Air filter under $20CDN. Fram's orange material #5955, $16CDN at Walmart, seems to be better than the paper elements sold at most parts stores (According to my 'tapping' habit
rolleyes.gif
)

Please do not
nono.gif
the use of FRAM, I know of no better alternatives to date
dunno.gif
. Suggestions are Welcome.

Guilty as charged. Enough for 7 oil changes on hand. Good news is...I have three cars to use it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back