How many of you stock up on oil products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stock includes:

2 Napa Gold filters (my cars)
2 ST filters (for brothers civic)

16 quarts of Chevron Supreme 5W-30 (found a stockpile at Wal-Mart for $1.08)
fruit.gif

24 quarts of Havolne 5W-30 ($1.22 sale price at Advance Auto)

5 quarts Havloine Synthetic ($3.48 sale price at Advance Auto)

10 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V for next Tranny flush

If my wife sees all of that oil, She will ..
freak2.gif

I began to stockpile when Mobil 1 5-gallon jugs started to seasonally appear, then vanish from the shelves the next time I had to change oil. I refuse to pay $4.77 per quart; I will pay $3 or so per quart in the jugs, so during the next seasonal appearance of the jugs, I bought extras. Then the Target stores sold out their Havoline Dino, the KMart sold out their Motorvator, and the Big Lots sold out their Havoline Synthetic. I love deals, and I bought lots of each. Enough for multiple changes for my 4 cars. Next month's oil changes to the summer viscosities should reduce my stockpiles. I've got some extra filters for the Chevy beater, from the KMart clearances, but typically I promote the just in time method, and buy it as I need it.

I have about 4 jugs of M1 10w30 from the sale at wal-mart.

1 jug of 5w-30, no reason.

6 M1 filters.

1 ST filter.

I love stockpiling car stuff.

I used to negotiate deals on Mobil 1 0W40, buying 20 or 25 litres at a go. However the retailers seem to be getting relunctant! Unfortunately I never found it in drums.

I never buy other service parts more than a week or two in advance, as our local (Mazda) dealer has strict conditions for returning them - if I total the car in the meantime, I will be stuck with a number of useless parts.

Regards
SEC

I have in my garage :

3.5 litres of Shell Helix Ultra 15w50
6 litres of Mobil 1 5w50 (Tri-synth)
2 litres of Castrol Formula R 5w30
10 litres of Motul 8100 0w40
10 litres of Mobil 1 SS 0w40
6 litres of Mobil 1 SS 10w30

For Christmas on my wife's side of the family we draw one name and have a $25 spending limit. I asked for 2 M1 oil filters (won't buy them myself, too expensive). What I got was 2 Fram oil filters
frown.gif
an a 5 qt. jug of M1 10W-30. So I will be using that jug to juice up my 5W-30 oil changes. I figured you guys would appreciate my dilema. I guess there really are people out there that pay no attention to oil related products. Shocking.

I usually buy oil & filter right before needed for the change especially for the car still under warranty. I think I will use the Frams this summer since there is no ADBV.

We had another thread about this same topic about a year, maybe a year and a half ago. I'd do my usual "Search Nazi" routine and ask everyone to please search for it ... but I can't imagine how you would.
dunno.gif

Besides, it had links to lots of pretty garage pictures in it which probably wouldn't work anymore.
frown.gif

Last time I did and inventory I had about 60-70 quarts of oil and a dozen filters. Mostly Schaeffer in various weights from 5W30 to 15W40 as well as some Chevron Supreme and about 20 quarts of Amalie 40 and 50 straight weight oils for our antique cars. Dad has a '26 Model T, Model A Roadster, '38 Chevy hot rod, '48 Mercury and a '55 T-Bird.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

At one point I had 4 or five gallon containers and countless quart bottle of everthing from M1 to Delo to Penzoil all of various weights. A bit of Royal Purple, some Redline coolant additive, GC, and Motorcraft. Too much. So I'm reducing my stock and trying to stick with a one brand of synthetic for my truck and one brand of conventional for her car. When I find the the perfect synthetic and the perfect dino, I'll be all set.

As far as filters, I've been having trouble with the cheapo STs and Motorcraft making my engine tick lately. I think the Motorcraft filters have been swtiched to a different manufacture, they look different. Switched to Napa Golds but they are pretty expensive to stock.

9 - 5qt containers of 5-30 Mobil 1 in stock along with 59 - FL400s/1516 Motorcraft/Wix-napa filters
(neighbors Ford uses same filter when they need one) Also have 22 Penske Ph2825's if anyone is interested in them? same filter as the FL400s/1516 but has NO bypass in it.

2 5qt. jugs of M1 10W-30
1 5qt. jug of Pennzoil 10W-30
6 qts. of Chevron Supreme 10W-30
2 qts. of Schaeffer's 10W-30 (from Tim Mills)
4 qts. of Schaeffer's 5W-30 (ditto)
8 misc. qts. of 30W for lawn equipment
6 ST and 1 M1 oil filters

Is there a problem.........?????????????

1-4qt jug Chevron 15w-40 Delo 400
1-5qt jug Mobil 1 5w-30
1-5qt jug Mobil 1 15w-50
2-5qt jug Castrol Syntec Blend 5w-30
1-5qt jug SuperTech 5w-30 "full" synthetic
4-qts Havoline 5w-30
1-qt Mobil 1 10w-30
1-qt Supertech 20w-50 dino
6-SuperTech 7317 oil filters
7-SuperTech 3619 oil filters

Nope, no stock here! lol

Found out that 88 cent funnels in the Auto section of WalMart keeps the 2 and 4 year olds busy for the entire purchasing experience...keeping the crying and whining far away.
smile.gif

I usually keep one oil change ahead in my garage's inventory. Now, I however got a great deal recently on Subaru oil filters for $60 for a case of 12 so that will be in the garage for a while. Of course, the wife and I both drive 2.5 liter Subies so it's the same oil filter. Brian

Gotta revise my list as I just changed my wife's oil in her 3.0L Aerostar so I am less 5 qts Maxlife 10w40. I added a Fram Sure Drain while I was under there and took off the last FL400S filter and installed a bigger FL1A in its place (not to worry, I checked it out, it all works). I also have to confess not listing my additives. So here is the revised list:

12 qts Valvoline Maxlife 10w30
8 qts Valvoline Maxlife 10w40
6 qts Valvoline Durablend 15w40
4 15 oz bottles STP Oil Extender
2 15 oz bottles Rislone Winter Start
1 15 oz Valvoline Maxlife Engine Protector

The Rislone Winter Start is left over. I won't buy it anymore as I think it is simply synthetic oil. The STP I could not resist. Picked it up when I took back my stockpile of Rislone Engine Treatment. BITOG info got me to quit the Rislone, but it was no fun going home empty handed and I had just bought a case of Maxlife oil a few weeks before, so the STP stuff seemed like the right thing to do, especially since they don't make it anymore.
fruit.gif

Castrol (GC) 0w30
Delvac 1 5w40
Delvac 1300 Super 15w40
Rotella T Synthetic 15w40
Chevron Supreme 5w30, 10w30, 10w40
Havoline Supreme 5w30, 10w30, 10w40
Havoline Supreme Synthetic 10W30
Exxon Superflo 5w30
Valvoline Maxlife 10w30
Supertech Synthetic 10W30
Mobil 1 5w30, 10w30
Chevron Mercon V ATF
Redline D4 ATF
Mobil 1 ATF
Amsoil Universal ATF
Chevron Delo ESI 80W90
Mobil 1 80W90
Lubrication Engineers 75w140
Amsoil 75w140
I'm sure there is more I just can't remember it all now
smile.gif
For filters I have everything from Fleetguard Stratopore to SuperTech (and everything in between)!

When I add it all up there is about 50+ gallons of oil plus about 40 or 50 filters. I maintain eight vehicles regularly plus the odd friend or two here and there. I pick up most of the oil on sale.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
... and we have ourselves a winner!
grin.gif

ssmokn, you rule!
bowdown.gif

--- Bror Jace

I agree! Ssmokn, may I shop at your house rather than going to WalMart? You have a greater stock than either of the closest Walmarts to my house. In fact, neither of them have ANY 5qt jugs of M1 or Castrol products. I have to drive 30+ miles to go to another Walmart that actually carries a decent stock of oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Everytime I'm confident it's here to stay, something seems to happen to make me doubt it (such as how my local Walmart hasn't restocked in a few weeks now and the shelf is empty)

Patman,

Tha Canadian Tires here in Montréal seem to have a steady supply of it at something like 6.66 w/o tax.

cheers,
canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
... and we have ourselves a winner!
grin.gif

ssmokn, you rule!
bowdown.gif

--- Bror Jace

I agree! Ssmokn, may I shop at your house rather than going to WalMart? You have a greater stock than either of the closest Walmarts to my house. In fact, neither of them have ANY 5qt jugs of M1 or Castrol products. I have to drive 30+ miles to go to another Walmart that actually carries a decent stock of oil.

I've been know to help a guy out now and then
grin.gif

I never planned on stocking up this much but when I see a deal I tend to grab three or four cases. I almost bought a case of Pennzoil cheap today but this post made me realize how much I have and I passed. Is that the first step to recover? I have three large steel cabinets just stocked full of oil with a more in unopened cases stacked up neatly next to the cabinets.

Maybe I should open my own quick lube -- NOT!

I currently have 10 quarts of GC, 8 quarts of Mobil 1 (2 5w30 and 6 10w30), and 18 quarts of havoline/chevron 10w30. I also have 24 quarts of chevron ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back