How many of you stock up on oil products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I got in on the Rite-Aid Havoline sale yesterday buying a case of 10W-30. So that brings my current supply of stockpiled oil to:

4 cases of Havoline 10W-30
1 5 quart bottle Mobil 1

As far as oil filters, I use OEM Toyota's on my 94 V6 pick up. I find occasional deals on them online and currently have about 12 of them on hand.

I do quite a bit of highway driving, 70 mile round trip daily commute to work, so I go through oil and filters rather quickly.

12 qrts of Schaeffers, 17 quarts of Amsoil, 2 1/2 gallons of LC and 2 1/2 gallons of Neutra plus 3/4 gal of Amsoil PI.

Don't ask about the car care products please.

somtime around a year ago i went to all the targets in the area buying up all of their havoline. i had over 70 quarts of the stuff, and now currently i only have half a quart left. at the time it cost 64 cents a quart, and sence i service so many cars in the family i figured it would be money well spent.

current stock is 1/2 quart of delo 15w40
1/4 quart of shell 10w30
1 quart of havoline
and a single motorcraft filter.

i need to find another motor oil sale so i can stock up again. anyone know of any good deals going on for cheap oil? that target 64/quart deal was probably hard to beat.

i am not in favour of keeping oil filters hanging around. i have a feeling they can dry up. i once found a new oil filter in my dads garage that he said must have been 10 years old, i took it apart and the media crumbled in my hands. so i like to grab the freshest filter out of the store that i can. on the other hand, motorcraft filters for my application are hard to come by cheap, so i buy them whenever i can but i wont buy one if i already have a couple kicking around.

I have:

16L German Castrol
8L Pennzoil 5w-30
8L Pennzoil 10w-30
4L Tech 2000 (Walmart) 5w-30 synthetic
4L Esso XD-3 15w-40 HDEO
4L Mobil 1 15w-50
2L Mobil 1 5w-30
2L Mobil 1 10w-30

Enough oil for about 12 changes in my cars. Thinking of buying a case of Amsoil ASL 5w-30 that a friend is selling for $5 CDN a quart!

As far as filters go:

8 Factory VW (Mann+Hummel) filters
3 K&N for VW Passat
2 Factory Nissan filters
10 Baldwin B113 filters for the Nissan

Do I qualify as a
freak2.gif
?

I bought a case each of Castrol GTX 5w20 (Ranger 3.0) and Chevron-Havoline 5w30 (Cavalier Ecotec) when I caught them on sale. It takes surprisingly long to get rid of, even at 3 to 4K intervals. When they are depleted, I will probably just keep enough on hand for 1 future oil change. Its no fun to not be able to justify buying oil for months at a time.
frown.gif

I have four 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 for my wife's Explorer. 18 qts of Motorcraft 5w30 for my F-150. A case of Supertech 15w40 for my old beater 82 LTD. 10 qts of Havoline 10w30 for my 65 Mustang and about 20 oil filters total in the shine of various brands for the bunch. Still no Fram or Fram made filters. This is not to mention gear lubes, grease, transmission fluids, fuel stabilizers etc. I like to be able to change oil when I want to. My wife says I have too much. I feel like such a rookie compared to some of you guys though.

Well I have to say I am an oil freak too:
5 quarts of Valvoline Durablend 10W-30
4 quarts of Valvoline Allclimate 20W-50
3 jugs 3.78 litre (1 american gallon I think) of Pennzoil dino 5W-30 (sale at wallmart CAD$ 5.68 not bad eh???)
1 3.78 litre jug of Pennzoil dino 10W-30
1 5 litre jug of Havoline dino 10W-30
1 4.4 litre jug of Havoline synthetic 5W-40 SJ
4 litres of Agip synthetic blend 10W-40
2 litres of GC 0W-30
1 litre of Petro-Canada syntetic blend 5W-30
1 quart of Pennzoil 20W-50
1 litre of Agip dino 10W-40
1 litre of Mobil 1 10W-30
1 litre Motomaster (Canadian tire) 10W-30 syntetic blend.
Should I seek attention or is it OK??

Hmmm, right now I have four gallons of Delo 15W-40 for the older cars in our little collection (I guy 6 gallon cases at Costco). Also have 12 quarts of Pennzoil synthetic 5W-30 from a K-mart going out of business sale which will cover the next three oil changes in the family minivan. Two oil changes worth of Motorcraft 5W-20 on hand for the next two oil changes on the Honda. Ten wix filters for the minivan (buy 'em in case packs of 12 to save $$). Two Wix Honda filters. Two filters for my old Caddy. Four Volvo filters for the two Volvos plus some odds and ends for the tractors, etc. Considering that we have seven cars plus a diesel tractor this is about my "normal" stocking level.

This AM a family friend was by to visit. She was on her way to get the oil changed in her Honda and I offered to do it while she visited with my wife and daughter. Everyone had a nice visit and in about 20 minutes I had her on her way. She was pretty impressed that I had the correct oil and filter on hand
smile.gif

I'm always looking out for a good "deal" ... for which I credit/blame my mother
smile.gif
. I also like having the materials on hand to do routine maint. things like oil changes. So, I generally keep the next 1-2 oil changes worth of oil and filters around.

John

I have:
17 qts Valvoline Maxlife 10w30
8 qts Valvoline Maxlife 10w40
6 qts Valvoline Durablend 15w40

Will be doing two oil changes soon, so the 15w40 will be used and 5 qts of the 10w30. My current load of Maxlife 10w40 will pass the 3000 mile mark tomorrow and I plan to draw off a sample and mail it to Blackstone (my first UOA ever
smile.gif
). So I expect to have a UOA on it posted to this site in the next week or so.

EDIT: In support of pepper32's point below, I just can't resist every time I open a bottle of oil I have to sniff it. Ummmmmmmm!
freak2.gif

[ March 23, 2004, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

With Pennzoil at $8.47 for 5 qts at Wally's now, I am wishing I stocked up 3 months ago at $6.77. By sticking to something available many different places, I am under less pressure to hoard. Not being able to find it isn't on my radar. That option may be more now than it is worth. Unfortunately, the nearest Pep Boys' is about 1 1/2 hours away. I think I may start hoarding Pennzoil when I am that a way for other reasons. Usually it is because I am taking the dog somewhere, but they have been nice about bringing in my foster puppy.

I usually pick up stuff when I see a good deal or price. I only have a few MG filters left (changed once per year) and no filters for our cars. The wife's Saturn is getting traded in before her OCI is up and I just used the last filter for my GP. I'll pick up a couple filters for both my car and her new vehicle (currently targeting a Trailblazer) when I see a good sale.

I tend to only buy one oil change's worth of oil when I find it on sale sometime after I just change the oil. With all the extra liquid gold I used to keep around I felt obligated to use it up and change the oil needlessly soon. I usually keep one or two filters around since sometimes they are harder to find on sale if at all.

I just picked up 7 quarts of M1 Truck and Suv for my next change at $3.99 qt and It's alreardy calling on me to use it up now! only 1000 miles left on old M1 5-30.

I used to buy by the case on sale when I ran GTX in everything.

Now, I keep no horde or stock pile at all. I just have enough for top up if required.

I buy by the 5 qt. jug and pick up a filter as needed.

I don't want to be stuck with a big stock if something better comes along.

You guys will freak out if GC becomes standard and cheaper!!

I usually keep just 2 new oil filters (UPF44's) and 13 qts of M1 10w30 on hand. That is enough for an oil change on my 2 vehicals.

I have in stock 5 qts Mobil 1 10W-30
5 qts German Castrol 0W-30
5 qts Pennzoil HM 10W-30
4 qts Pennzoil LL 15W-40
3 qts Pennzoil HD 30
17 qts Pennzoil 10W-30
8 qts Pennzoil 5W-20
3 gallons Polaris Blue 2 cycle
1/2 gallon Polaris Gold 2 cycle
2 qts Proline SAE 40

And probably 14 oil filters for various vehicles (I maintain 5 vehicles) Usually use anything other than a Fram filter.

A friend in the business just offered a fabulous deal on Red Line engine oil, so I'll be stocking up on that. I told my friend that I'd be bothering him (I hoped) no more often than annually, so I'll be buying a couple cases at a time. My Cayenne uses 10 quarts per six months.

Still haven't found a deal on filters; I think I have 2 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back