How many of you have an aftermarket exhaust...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... on your daily driver? I always used to have a louder muffler and/or exhaust system when I was younger. This was also on my DD car, so my drives were always loud. Now, I like quiet drives.

My motto on this has always been "walk quietly and carry a big stick," alas right now I don't even carry a big stick.
smile.gif
One day...

I have an aftermarket stainless (Flowmaster wannabe) muffler installed in my Silverado. All the rest of the exhaust is stock, just cut off the factory muffler and clamped in the aftermarket muffler. I like to hear the sound of a V8 but not those 4 cylinder ricers lol

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My motto on this has always been "walk quietly and carry a big stick," alas right now I don't even carry a big stick.
smile.gif
One day...

And I'm pretty sure that if you're driving, you aren't walking either... unless you're borrowing Fred Flintstones car. Which wouldn't make sense, since there is no oil to change on that car, which therefore renders it sacreligious for any BITOG member to even drive... er, walk.

Last edited:
I have a thrush muffler on my dakota; it is shaped like a regular muffler but has fewer baffles, and might just be 'glass in there.

Did it because it was $18 instead of $60. Sounds great, not too loud, lots of bass.

I'm never a big fan of low fard cans (not even when I was younger back then). As time progresses (getting older, trying to preserve my hearing for my other profession--AF/high-end audio designs), I tend to appreciate more on fast, yet relatively quiet exhaust systems setup.

Most decent/recent EFI vehicles, including my lowly vtec fit, sounds wonderful to my ears. I definitely enjoy a quieter cabin (e.g. like wifey's 2.4 Camry LE on the highway).

I wouldn't necessarily play loud music while travelling (hearing too sensitive to road noise), but a fard can setup definitely give me migraines ...

Q.

I have Comptech headers on my '00 Acura 3.2 TL with the stock cat-back. I have a set of Kooks headers coming (they're out for Jet Hot coating) for my '09 Pontiac G8 GT with GXP mufflers but the rest is stock.

I have a 2stage flowmaster on my Ranger.. when it finally gives itself up, I'm going back to something quieter. Not that's bad now... but I can hear it at night when it's just me on the road..
just age catching up to me.

I had a Bassani Offroad X pipe and Spintech mufflers on my 98 Mustang GT. The car sounded great, real loud at WOT and just noticeable at idle.

The Volvo is stock, but I got an offroad downpipe for it to try out. It is nice having quiet, but every once in a while loud is fun.

I hate loud mufflers on gutless cars. They sound terrible, but worse than that, they are exactly like a sweat-sock stuffed in a speedo.

Loud pipes on a powerful car can be irritating from a noise perspective, but not as irritating as the same level of noise on a car that does 0-60 in 10 seconds or more.

Hearing a Ferrari or similar machine under full throttle going ballistic is a glorious experience. I like the sound of a v8's low rumble as well. Mercedes has got their factory exhaust systems on their 6.3L AMG v8's dialed in beautifully, and they are not that loud, just the perfect tone.

Tone and sound quality are more important to me in appreciating the machine than high volume. High volume does not equal high performance. These days, especially with 4 cylinder asian cars (and cobalts etc.), high volume/resonance usually tells you that a gutless car is coming.

You just don't see f*rt cans on truly high performance vehicles.

Interestingly, a decent intake or cold air system can also enhance the perceived engine noise as well. Intake noise is a good chunk of the engine noise you hear. This can also be used to enhance the sound of the engine if you want it.

I have a Flowtech Raptor on my F150 with a short pipe out the side in front of the rear tire. I love the throaty sound which I attribute to the Flowtech and the big block engine. The Flowtech Raptor is a turbo style muffler and does not neck down inside like some mufflers do.

I have OEM Ford GT500 mufflers (2011 version) on my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0. They have a nice burble and produce a reasonable level of noise under hard acceleration, but they don't drone and they don't wake the neighbors. I do a fair number of driving events every year at road race and autocross setups and I get consistent "wow - that sounds great" feedback on it. Other than the Ford mufflers (packaged and sold by Ford Racing Performance Parts) the car's driveline is stock.

I have a stainless steel Trubenz cat back on my car [ford ZX2], with a stainless Magnaflow muffler.
Starting to pay off - it still looks like new after 6-7 years.
And a great plus is the extra power from the larger pipe.
I also have a stainless JBA shorty header - very nice .

i got flows on the tbird and the f150. i don't like the sound of them on my tbird. can't hear anything on the inside..also have a 3rd cat delete on the car too

I bent up some 2.5" stainless , removed the third cat, and used a resonator off an Evo 8 along with a Magnaflow muffler on my 3.8l Eclipse. It is def louder than stock, but not crazy loud, nor does it have a lot of exhaust drone on the HWY. I like the beefer sound it provides. This engine has a good sound curve to it. Again, it is not super loud, but loud enough.

It's not a daily driver, but my 1979 Cadillac Coupe de Ville has a modified Hooker system that was designed for late '80s Chevy Monte Carlo S/S models (and Buick Grand National). The mufflers are Walker "Impala S/S" versions that were also used on police cars. The Magnaflow catalytic converter is a type used on 1982 Corvettes (flange type w/3" in and out). Flows great yet is not loud, sounds just right. Did all the work myself (and was a pain in the rearo to do, lol).

exhaustv.jpg

Last edited:
The Walker/Dynomax Super Turbo is the best muffler IMO. They flow well,are quiet at idle,and they sound good too. They really open up when you nail the throttle. They would do well on a daily driver.

Magnaflow on the Expedition with a 3" slash cut end section (also Magnaflow).

Quiet at idle and cruise. Sounds awesome under throttle. The M5 is stock for now.....

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I have a stainless steel Trubenz cat back on my car [ford ZX2], with a stainless Magnaflow muffler.
Starting to pay off - it still looks like new after 6-7 years.
And a great plus is the extra power from the larger pipe.
I also have a stainless JBA shorty header - very nice .

I almost got a Trubenz system for my Zx2 when I owned it. From what I remember, I only ever heard good things about their systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back