How many of you have a winter beaters?

This, exactly. We've all seen how folks here go ga-ga over immaculate rust-free examples of their favorite cars, or even other cars that aren't even their favorites. It takes effort to keep them that way.... And if that means keeping them parked for three months a year, so be it.
3 months?? Were talking minimum 5 months here if you want guaranteed salt free roads.

3 months?? Were talking minimum 5 months here if you want guaranteed salt free roads.
Yeah, 3 would be kind of a minimum..... We've have had a lot of dry Decembers in recent years.

Of course I have probably jinxed myself and we'll get hit with a blizzard in November.... ☃️

This is where I would say it probably isn’t worth it for you to buy a winter beater. You need to honestly examine yourself very introspectively. Are you the type to keep a car 10+ years? Cause only after 5 years will rust start becoming a cosmetic issue and then 10 years mechanical issues. If you’re not the type to keep this car for a long time, don’t bother with a beater unless 1) you have lots of money 2) have some need to keep this car in excellent condition for the next buyer.

I do have a winter beater, because I have a 91’ car that I have owned for 7 years, and plan to keep it as long as possible. My winter beater was my 2001 Honda Civic.
I kept my old BMW for 4 years. Sold it because I got 3k above retail for it. Or I would've kept that thing for 10+ years. But, the old BMW I had I drove it maybe 12k in 4 years? It sat in the garage when covid was around. My mechanic was surprised at how clean the underbody was for a car that spent all 13 years in Chicago.

My current car I'll probably keep for 10+ years. But, I want an M3 down the line. Before I buy another car, I'm saving up for a house. What I mean by winter beater is a Toyota for under $3k. Not a car under $30k or what have you.

Funny, I'm looking at a 1999 Toyota Camry with 159k miles on it. Got the guy down to $1800. Probably gonna get him down to $1500~ when I go there. Check engine lights gone. Was the gas cap.

Still iffy about a beater tho. Just an added cost but keeps the 540 looking new.$ 89 for liability insurance for a year. 326 for plates and registration and $100 for tax

Link to car: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Just my parents.

They keep their 2015 Outback garaged for bad weather because they have 2000 Forester with 200k miles since new that has 4 studded Winter tires mounted year round. The forester costs them $500/year in inspection , yearly oil change and insurance costs. Not worth it IMHO.

Funny, I'm looking at a 1999 Toyota Camry with 159k miles on it. Got the guy down to $1800. Probably gonna get him down to $1500~ when I go there. Check engine lights gone. Was
WW
the gas cap.

Still iffy about a beater tho. Just an added cost but keeps the 540 looking new.$ 89 for liability insurance for a year. 326 for plates and registration and $100 for tax

Link to car: https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner
Even for a regular car that is a good deal....
Would love to find something like that to replace the Cobalt....

I like both having a new car and driving a bargain beater, which is kind of contradictory. Some of the 'beaters' we've owned have been some of our favourite cars (and one truck). Park in crowded parking lots and drive on those salted roads without a care.

Sounds like a waste of time to me. You barely drive.

Although I just bought a beater, in 6 months my little sister will probably drive it. I'm using it to sip gas right now though.

Sounds like a waste of time to me. You barely drive.

Although I just bought a beater, in 6 months my little sister will probably drive it. I'm using it to sip gas right now though.
I mean, I drive to work, and that's it. That's about an 18-mile round trip. If I have to run errands or whatnot, I just take my mom's Sienna 🤣. With the beater (if I end up getting it), I'll be using that car in the winter months and during the summer or whatnot, anyone in the family can use it.

Younger brother can use it to go to the gym or work, and dad can take it to work if he wants. If we're going to the city to drop my sister off, we can take the beater instead of the sienna. During the summer, I'll be driving the BMW to work. Maybe the beater if it's going to rain. Other than that, the beater will stay at home. Whoever needs to drive it can drive it.

WW

Even for a regular car that is a good deal....
Would love to find something like that to replace the Cobalt....
I am also looking at this one. It's got a leaky driver's side rear brake line that he patched up for right now. Got him down to $2250. But, it's about 2 hour drive from my house. Wonder how much it'll cost to replace the brake line. If it's not too much, I might just have all the brake lines done

I like both having a new car and driving a bargain beater, which is kind of contradictory. Some of the 'beaters' we've owned have been some of our favourite cars (and one truck). Park in crowded parking lots and drive on those salted roads without a care.
Exactly why I am thinking of the beater. The Sienna is usually the car everyone uses. We use the Sienna to go to the city. Mom dad younger brother and sister use it. Sister can't drive for sh*t. She doesn't care about taking car of our cars. She's never brought one with her own money. The last car she had was the 13 Accord that my dad brought her BRAND NEW IN 2013. She dented the whole driver's side door(hit a snow bank while turning??? how do you do that??), and the front bumper AND curbed the wheels within a year of having it.

But, if I get the beater, everyone can use it and not care about running over the curb, scratches dents, or anything. Obviously, I'm still going to want to keep it clean.

Back