How many of you have a winter beaters?

I've been thinking about getting one this year to drive in the winter. Most likely a 90s Toyota for under $3k. But, then I'm like I'll hardly drive the BMW. Even during the summer, I feel like I'd just drive the winter beater to keep the miles low on the BMW.

It would make sense to get a winter beater if I had an RWD M3 or something of that sort. I just don't want rust to form on the 540. Though, it is ceramic coated, etc. But, the undercarriage isn't protected. On the bright side, my younger brother can use it for work, etc.

If you do have a winter beater, why'd you buy one?

I have my 89 Sierra I use in the winter when ever there is salt on the streets, other wise I drive the Buick. In the summer I drive the Sierra on the weekends or when ever I need to park in a parking lot, trying to keep door dings off the Buick which has none ;)

Life is too short to have a nice car and not drive it.

That said, I prefer buying used vehicles in mechanically good shape, but with some cosmetic blemishes. This is because I can't keep any of my cars looking perfect, and I have accepted that.

For someone like yourself, and in your situation, I could very much see and understand the appeal of owning something that you will worry about less.

But are you going to be satisfied driving something in less than perfect cosmetic condition, and likely less enjoyable to operate? That is something you are going to have to answer for yourself.

Last edited:
Winter beaters are nice to have so the nice car doesn't turn into iron oxide in ten or fifteen years. Perhaps a moot point to those who trade them in in three years...
Thats why I want a winter beater. That way, the BMW stays in like new shape. My old 2009 BMW I had was like new. I didn't drive it in the winter due to covid. Had it 3 years put like 11k miles on it in 3 years. My mechanic was surprised at how clean the undercarriage was for a Midwestern car.

My escalade is the winter beater. Don't have to go into it to turn it on to get the heated seats and heater going like in my old trucks. The remote start and heated steering wheel addition is nice. Don't have to shiver to death inside the truck in the 40f weather anymore.

My Camry, that's going to be my son's car, will serve. It's also my airport long-term parking beater.

I fluid-film my Prii (camry too) but there are some days that are so stinkin' miserable I prefer tackling them with a $750 car.

Part of the attraction is the camry's outside, my prius is in the garage. I don't want to bring a car covered in snow into the garage where it will melt and make puddles.

Have snow tires for everything. The Camry, in fact, will ride a little higher with 215/60r16s I scrounged vice the 195/70r14s it came on.

I bought my vehicles knowing they'll get used in the winter, so they're equipped accordingly (4WD and AWD). The truck is undercoated and the Subaru will see very little winter, so it gets a touch of Fluid Film. Also frequent undercarriage washings all winter. The outside can be done in the garage with the heater running and a rinseless wash.

Thats why I want a winter beater. That way, the BMW stays in like new shape. My old 2009 BMW I had was like new. I didn't drive it in the winter due to covid. Had it 3 years put like 11k miles on it in 3 years. My mechanic was surprised at how clean the undercarriage was for a Midwestern car.
This is where I would say it probably isn’t worth it for you to buy a winter beater. You need to honestly examine yourself very introspectively. Are you the type to keep a car 10+ years? Cause only after 5 years will rust start becoming a cosmetic issue and then 10 years mechanical issues. If you’re not the type to keep this car for a long time, don’t bother with a beater unless 1) you have lots of money 2) have some need to keep this car in excellent condition for the next buyer.

I do have a winter beater, because I have a 91’ car that I have owned for 7 years, and plan to keep it as long as possible. My winter beater was my 2001 Honda Civic.

My Cobalt is the reason that it is a winter beater. The amount of salt used here is nuts! And I washed the Cobalt like crazy for years too….

I tend to keep my stuff for a while, so not having rusty brake/fuel lines along with other issues is why the Equinox and Trax see very little winter when it ices/snows…..

Are you the type to keep a car 10+ years?
This, exactly. We've all seen how folks here go ga-ga over immaculate rust-free examples of their favorite cars, or even other cars that aren't even their favorites. It takes effort to keep them that way.... And if that means keeping them parked for three months a year, so be it.

Back