How many of you go 7500 miles on conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever dreamed up the 3K OCI was a marketing genius . It's amazing how many intelligent people fell for it and practice it to this day .

Originally Posted By: Dantheman
Whoever dreamed up the 3K OCI was a marketing genius . It's amazing how many intelligent people fell for it and practice it to this day .

Well, I've thought about this a bit. After evaluating the pros and cons of the whole thing, I'd really have a hard time telling some babe in the woods to do anything else.

That is, there is no ONE static recommendation that works. I agree that far too many seem to "want" their service to be severe ..often finding just one sliver of their total driving experience dipping into one of the severe parameters on some fractional level ..and change it all too often...

..but what of the common negligent numb ..unconscious and not conscientious consumer? You know, the one that forgets about stuff all the time. Is all too consumed in executing maneuvers to allow them to continue consuming ..cellphone in tow?

What would you tell them, if they asked? You would sensibly evaluate the likelihood of them following it, and buffer a good margin for them to screw up.

..and that would be 3k/3m
21.gif

The 3000 mile OCI dates back a long time, it was something a lot of fathers passed along to their kids and it just stuck. Then dealerships and quick lube places passed it on as well. Old habits die hard. Then there are people like myself that would love to get out of the severe service category, but due to location it is impossible.

If the doctor tells you to get a blood work done every 3 months because they have to monitor your liver function, you will go against his/her wisdom?
It is the same with a motor vehicle! If a mechanic who services your car and always done a great job tells you to change your oil every 3000 miles, you would not heed his advice??
There are still a lot of dependable old school mechanics who to this day wont conform to the modern oil era tells a customer to change oil every 3000 miles and this customer thinks his car is a point A to B reliable appliance and knows nothing about motor oil will not heed the mechanics advise? Who knows more your doctor about your health or your mechanic about your car?

then their are some folks who are never told to change their oil. hello sludge!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: hal
3.3L great motor, almost bulletproof. had a '91 voyager minivan with it and if it weren't for the transmission that vehicle would have lasted forever. probably no harm done w/ 7500mi oci's on dino w/ that engine.
The lack of quality transmissions in Chryslers are why I won't look at them. I can still recall riding in our '79 New Yorker when the tranny went. Then there was a time my sister's tranny went in her '97 Intrepid.
15.gif

I keep my vehicles from birth until death. Going over 5K OCIs makes no sense to me -- being both conventional oil and filter are still relatively cheap to purchase.

If you sell your vehicles prematurely to their graveyard -- or lease, then longer OCIs are money savers.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
3.3L great motor, almost bulletproof. had a '91 voyager minivan with it and if it weren't for the transmission that vehicle would have lasted forever. probably no harm done w/ 7500mi oci's on dino w/ that engine.
The lack of quality transmissions in Chryslers are why I won't look at them. I can still recall riding in our '79 New Yorker when the tranny went. Then there was a time my sister's tranny went in her '97 Intrepid.
15.gif

Same here. I was in a 82 Chrsyler K car. My family was going on a trip from Memphis, TN to see my relatives in Owensboro, Ky for Christmas. I was 5 years old at the time, the auto trans failed at night when it was 10 degrees, snowing, we had to walk at least a mile (maybe more) to a toll booth to call my relatives in Owensboro, KY for help. What a great Christmas that year was, ah Chrysler memories.
smirk2.gif

15.gif

The trannys are the same today...Some went out already in the Sheriff's 06-08 Chargers already in Broward County.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
[
The trannys are the same today...Some went out already in the Sheriff's 06-08 Chargers already in Broward County.

yeah, I noticed alot of Dodge Charger cop cars. That was foolish to switch from the Ford crown victoria

I have no reason to stick to a 3000m OCI when the oil is clean, the pressure is good, and there are no other indicators of problems.

Right now we have 5500 miles on QS conventional in the Durango. It's still amber and clear like beer. I expect to change that truck at 7500-8000. Want to break it in on synthetic so MCSB will be on tap as soon as I find it in 5W30. 5W20 seems to be the norm for that brand, at least at WM. I'll check in at AutoZone and a few other chains and see who has more weights in MCSB.

The Torino needs dino, it's too old to take advantage of synthetic IMHO. When I drop in an EFI 302 later on, I'll be happy to feed it MCSB at least, if not a full synthetic. the 351M engine is low compression, oil burning, and not worth putting anything premium in it. SuperTech, here I come, with BELLS on. If by bells you mean a couple of nasty lifter ticks, that it.

Originally Posted By: deven
If the doctor tells you to get a blood work done every 3 months because they have to monitor your liver function, you will go against his/her wisdom?

If your doctor tells you you're doing fine and you don't need to visit again until next year, would you come in every 3 months just in case?

If a UOA tells you that long drain intervals are working well for your vehicle, changing it more often is just mechanical hypochondria.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: 360kid
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
I go with 3month/3000 mile. I've gone 4000 before, but am in the habit of 3 or 3000.

Well if we cant break you of that habit than no one can.

I grew up in a mechanic family. 3 mo or 3000 miles, ALWAYS! My truck has 220,000 miles. Recently had it semi-apart to replace a gasket, engine is clean as a whistle on conventional. It really pays of. Since it was sludge free, I have switched to Super Tech synthetic and I still change every 3000 miles.

So?

I change my conventional oil every 7500 miles and I don't have any sludge.

How many miles do you have on your engine and have you had it apart to see the inside? Also, what type of driving do you do?

Originally Posted By: breeves
what brand Dino got you to 220k?

I've always used Penziol yellow bottle. That's what got me the 220,000 miles. However, after some research and talking to my brother in-law (top notch mechanic), I have switch all my vehicles to Walmart Super Tech Sythetic oil and filter.

well, I have always been curious about using synthetic oil but just grew up on conventional. Once I found out the engine was still extremely clean after 220,000 miles, I threw caution to the wind and went for a synthetic. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, I checked ST Synthetic amd heard good things.

I still change every 3000 miles and the oil looks much cleaner coming out. Still has a mostly amber color. No more black, burnt oil. I also learned that FRAM oil filters suck and have swithced to ST filters too. Now that I am more aware, they appear to be better constructed now that I have made the comparison. And the filters are half the price of FRAM. The savings makes up for the extra I pay on the ST Synthetic oil over the Penzoil YB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back