How many of you go 7500 miles on conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1
I figure it should be about 6 months before I hear the swearing coming from his garage when it seizes.

Make sure your video camera is ready!

It really depends on the car. My 2.4 Malibu has a 5 quart sump and the OLM usually indicates 8500-9000 mile OCIs for my driving style. My wifes 5.3 Silverado with a 6 quart sump usually goes off right about 4500-5000.

I have no issues with 7500 OCIs on the Bu, but definately not on my truck. Too many short trips eat up the oil life.

But lets be honest, 90% of us are too fidgity to run lenghty intervals anyways. I end up changing my oil entirely too often because I get antsy. That's what this board will do to you.

So yes, with the right motor/sump/oil combo + normal service category, 10k is doable on conventional oil.

On dino, Im crazy, and what ever the car sump is, would be the mileage it gets changed. EX: 2003 Elantra, 2.0L 4.5 QTS, change by 5K miles.

With the Northstar V8, 7.5 QTS, Change by 8K miles.

Again this is just me. I do not use Dino oil, but if i did, this is how i would do it. :D

Just changed my Metro's oil yesterday. Been about 7000 miles since the last change. Manual recommends 3k severe, 7.5k otherwise, and I do mostly highway driving so I should be fine. 3 quarts of dino Valvoline 5W30.

Didn't change the filter either... first time I haven't, but the manual says to change it every other time for non-severe use, so I figure it's time to stop being antsy and be a true BITOG experimenter! Supertech 3614 filter.

I do on my wife's Honda Pilot. 7,500 OCI's on YB 5w-20. Been that way since 2004. I think I am switching it over to PP next change to get all my cars on the same oil.

I'd risk a 7500 OCI but I always hit 6 months before even 5k so I just go ahead and drain.

On my 92 Camry it list 7500 miles for normal service and 3750 for severe service. I have been running conventional oil and change the oil usually once a year, ~6000-7000 miles. This car is starting to consume oil and it has 198,000+ miles.

For my 02 VW Jetta it list 10,000 mile service intervals. This car does not get driven a lot, if I follow that then an oil change would be every 2 years. I run conventional in that car oil and change it once a year, ~4000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
The longest OCI I'm sure of that my brother did on his 02 3.4L Tacoma was 17,000 miles on Formula Shell 5w-30. He's not a cheapskate; he's just lazy as heck. It was a little under the FILL line when we changed it. Kinda amazing when you consider he didn't top it off at all.
smirk2.gif

Needless to say, the Taco's treated a lot better now.

I've always changed every 3,000 miles, but I'm going to be running Long Life Gold for 5,000 this time round. Manual recommends 3,000 severe and 7,500 standard service.

I run 6K OCIs with the wife's 01 cavalier on Mobil Clean 5000 10w30. If she had continued her old routine of 30 minutes all highway driving to work, I would have let that oil go to 7.5K if not more. Now that she drives 15 minutes of stop and go traffic at speeds of 50mph and under, bases on UOAs, I'm keeping it at 6k.

I just posted an 8k UOA on re-badged Formula Shell 5W-30. Came out really good, considering it was about as severe of service as you can get (winter, during a bus strike, all idling and crawling through traffic).

I'm sold on 7500 mile changes, even is severe conditions. 7500 will soon be the 'new 5000'...

Quote:

How many of you do 6 months regardless of mileage when it probably won't make 7500? (same recommendation ..but the other end of it).

I would NOT feel comfortable going 7,500 miles on conventional oil. I am not saying that it wouldnt make it, I just couldnt sleep at night.

While I do feel 3k is a waste I have a hard time doing 5k changes but I do. In my case I only do 5-7k a year driving on either of my cars. Doing a conventional OCI once a year would trouble me this si why I am going synthetic and doing a once or twice a year OCI.

Couldn't do it. That's too long for my brain on dino. I run PP and would not worry if I missed my planned 10k km oci by a couple thousand kms. So for those that consider groupIII not a real syn, then yes, I could be considered one of you crazy folks
wink.gif

I do. That's what Honda calls for. If I use a "synthetic" I'll go 9-10K miles. Honda says you can reuse the oil filter for one oil change too. So I do that as well, no matter how cheap an oil filter I am using. so far no problems noted.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
I do. That's what Honda calls for. If I use a "synthetic" I'll go 9-10K miles. Honda says you can reuse the oil filter for one oil change too. So I do that as well, no matter how cheap an oil filter I am using. so far no problems noted.

You would use regular Fram oil filter for up to 20k miles ?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

How many of you do 6 months regardless of mileage when it probably won't make 7500? (same recommendation ..but the other end of it).

I'm that guy... I can't seem to make it past 5k or 6m with mobil1 5w20. But i'm getting better. After my first UOA i plan on going 7.5k or 7m.

04 honda civic 1.7

Nothing wrong with 6 months. It's what's recommended. It makes more sense in a 4 season climate with a bit more of a difference between Summer and Winter ...but ..so
21.gif
If you doubled your mileage, you could probably still do 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back