How many of you, fill your gas tank ALL THE WAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We Americans are lucky to have cheap gas. We also are the biggest complainers when the gas prices jump while we drive our cars with bigger engines.

I was in Portland, Michigan at a shell station and some idiot in a Hummer H3 filled his truck with $6.00 worth of gas. That is embarrassing. I could imagine what his Girlfriend or his wife was thinking.

100% of the time, I always fill my tank alll the way when my gauge turns to "E". You're actually wasting fuel by fiilling it up partially and goign to the gas station more often.

I always fill my tank. There are much better ways to spend one's time than stopping at the gas station. The sad thing is $6 of gas in a Hummer is probably only good for 25 miles.

not me, I buy gas every week and go through probably 3/8 of a tank.

When prices are going up, I buy monday morning at 5 am to beat the new increase.

In a falling market, you'd think I drive around on "E", putting 3 gallons in, and repeating, hoping for that elusive complete fillup at a great price. Nope, I go ga-ga over dropping prices, assume they're good for that day only, and fill 'er up.
smile.gif

I think I just like pumping gas (and checking oil, and checking tire pressure, washing the car, etc).

The corner I buy gas on has a traffic light I'd have to stop for anyway. I sit in my car and start the motor when there's no traffic going my way so I don't have to wait. So it's just the extra 30 pounds of gas I carry around that's cutting into my mileage.

Almost always fill it up. At the age of 60, I'm not spending any more trips to a gas station than necessary. Life's too short.

I fill it up and pack it in every time.

I got more things to do than stop every other day and buy $5 worth of gas.

When the tank goes below about half full I start paying attention to gas prices. I start with an optimistically low price in mind, then as the days pass I slowly ratchet it up until I find a station low enough, then fill 'er up. I drive a Metro... my reflexes aren't good enough to only fill the tank partway!

Canadian gas prices are floating around $1 a litre ($4/gallon). Be glad y'all live south of the border.
wink.gif

I will take only a few gallons if I am in a region where fuel is expensive, and I am on my way to a region where I know that fuel will be cheaper.

For example, diesel fuel is 20 cents or more cheaper in New Jersey than in Vermont or New York state. If I am leaving from VT for NJ and do not have enough fuel in the tank on departure to make it all the way, I will only fill enough to safely get me to NJ (with an appropriate safety margin, of course).

25 cents per gallon on a 25 gallon fuel purchase is over $6.

Savvy airlines use this approach all the time when flying an aircraft short haul that will land at several airports in any given day. They usually fill the tank at the airport where fuel is cheapest.

Generally speaking, I fill it up all the way 100% of the time, but realistically, I think I did the $5 (or $10, can't remember) thing once, because I really was practically running on empty, and the nearest gas station was *significantly* more expensive than my regular fill-up station.

Today I fill it up when it gets between 1/8 and 1/4 tank. I let it run until the nozzel cuts off, that's it. Back in 1965 I use to put in $1 to $5 at a time, but gas was $.60 a gallon then so it went a long way.

I fill it up every time, and like Johnny I only fill it up until the nozzle cuts off the first time. I don't try to squeeze more in after that.

I don't like to run my car close to empty (except when drag racing) so I fill up twice a week. Each time I add almost a half tank. I fill up my wife's car once a week, each time it usually needs around a half tank.

In Toronto, the price starts out high every single morning, and drops down throughout the day. So you'll always get the best price of the day if you fill up after 8pm. For instance, Friday morning the price started out at 95.4 cents per liter, but by 8:30 when I filled up, I got it for 84.9 cents! That's a pretty significant difference in price when you keep in mind there are 3.78 liters per gallon!! Makes me wonder why anyone in Toronto buys gas in the morning?? This pattern has been in effect for almost two years now (it used to go up and down over a one week period, then it switched to a twice per week period) The morning price changes every single day too, and it depends on how unleaded gas performed the previous day on the stock markets. When unleaded goes up by 4 cents per gallon, we'll see the price per liter go up by about 1 cent. A month ago our morning price was down as low as 80.9 cents, and the night time price at that time was as low as 70.2 at some stations. I am a very active member of www.gasbuddy.com and that's how I figure out where to buy gas for the lowest price. In fact, it's quite an obsession of mine, so much so that I bought a Blackberry and everywhere I go I constantly input all the gas prices I see!

I fill it up all the way, every time. I need to, as I'm anal about mileage, and you need to fill it.

Also, I hate walking along roads that I could be driving on.

Petrol is $1.25/l, and diesel $1.39/litre at present.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

In Toronto, the price starts out high every single morning, and drops down throughout the day. So you'll always get the best price of the day if you fill up after 8pm

Ottawa is the same.
Right now 95 in the morning and it drops to 85 at night.
Just a couple of weeks ago it dipped to 74 cents per liter.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
And cheapin' out means the tank spends more time near empty, possibly overheating the fuel pump.

Seriously? You can burn your fuel pump by driving near empty? I gotta stop then.. and fill at 1/2 tank.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Almost always fill it up. At the age of 60, I'm not spending any more trips to a gas station than necessary. Life's too short.

cheers.gif
Heres to a long life.

I run my tank to 1/8 and then I refill all the way. I am also a gas price watcher. I often post on GasBuddy.com. I also log all of my fuel mileage in a paper log and then about once every month I update my excel spread sheet. I know.. its pretty anal. But for some reason I love keeping track of gas mileage. I feel it gives you a good indication of how your car is running.

With me being the only self server for three vehicles (my oldest daughter does her own) ..I'm at the gas station 2-3 times a week anyway (twice one week - three times the next). My wife gets anxiety attacks if it's below a 1/4 tank and even though I've proved to her that she can do a full week of commuting with mileage to spare ...if she sees (as she calls it) "the little man" (low tank light) ...she's already calculating how much money she'll spend to get out of whatever situation she can imagine if she ran out. She commutes 260 miles a week ..and has a proven 325 PLUS range. That 60 mile buffer just isnt' enough ..even though it's another round trip leg on her daily commute.
dunno.gif

I typically let it click off and then round up to an even number.

If I didn't fill up every time ..it would be 4-6 times a week
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back