How many of you do a 5-wheel rotation?

I guess nowadays this can only really be done on trucks and SUVs, unless there's still some cars that come with a full sized spare.

So for those who do this, you had to go buy a 5th wheel that matches the other 4 right? Or do some cars come with one?

I'm thinking of going this route because I always end up with a spare that never gets used and is usually a different make/model than the rest of the tires. If I'm going to carry around the weight of a spare, why not have it be identical to the rest so I can put it into rotation?

I don't have a full sized spare but #5 never got into the rotation when I did. It was usually the best tire from a previous set and not one I would use all the time.

When I bought new tires and wheels for my '15 (and '13) Jeep Grand Cherokee(s), I bought five.. I rotate(d) them one position clockwise, with the fifth starting at the rear-center of the car, every oilchange.. I no longer buy directional tires for any of my vehicles.. The fifth tires lives in my toolroom as a spare spare; the JGC's original full-size spare lives in the sparetire well with the jack, etc.
2020Jul02_7020834_JGC lowered RF_1600w.jpg

When I bought new tires and wheels for my '15 (and '13) Jeep Grand Cherokee(s), I bought five.. I rotate(d) them one position clockwise, with the fifth starting at the rear-center of the car, every oilchange.. I no longer buy directional tires for any of my vehicles.. The fifth tires lives in my toolroom as a spare spare; the JGC's original full-size spare lives in the sparetire well with the jack, etc.
View attachment 28659

Love those wheels! Good aesthetic fit to the vehicle.

Most of the 5th tires won't have the same rim (if you have alloy wheels) as the ones that come with the vehicle, unless you pay extra. The only vehicles I see with the same type of 5th rim are jeeps where the rear wheel is in plain sight.

My Sienna had a full sized spare on a steelie.

Reactions: JTK
I could actually do this with my 2019 Ram 1500 classic. The 17" spare is the same Goodyear wrangler as the other 4 and the wheel is similar, but unfinished aluminum. No TPMS sensor in it though.

View attachment 28659
Nice looking car and wheels.

Rotating in a spare is a waste of time IMO.

I just keep a full sized spare in the trunk. When it hits 10 years old, it gets a brand new tire.

My Jeep has nice BFG All Terrain KO2's but a spare will hardly, if ever, be used. So it got a cheap but brand new Goodyear Wrangler for the spare. I'll be set for 10 years until 2027, only $10 a year spread out.

I do, on my Outlander. It has 5 identical alloy wheels, so why not? When I replaced the OE rubber, I bought 5 tyres (tires) and have continued with the process, every 10,000km. Keeps the spare wheel winding mechanism from seizing due to lack of use too.

actually bought a 5th aluminum wheel to match the stock one's on my 2008 F 150 so I DO the 5 wheel rotation

my tires dry rot before they wear out ;)

373.jpg
373.jpg

How do you 5-tire rotate when your spare doesn't have the TPMS sensor? Grrrrr...

I just noticed my bride's new ZR2 has a full size spare with matching rim, but no sensor ;-(

How do you 5-tire rotate when your spare doesn't have the TPMS sensor? Grrrrr...

I just noticed my bride's new ZR2 has a full size spare with matching rim, but no sensor ;-(

You just go back to the old school way where you look at the tires periodically to see if they're low.

Back