How many of you choose not to extend OCI and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owners manual says change it out @ 5000 miles in the Explorer.So regardless,I change it out in May,then again in October,maybe I get 5000 miles,maybe not.Oil and it's cost doesnt really concern me,alot more expensive things in this world to worry about then oil.

My OBC wants to go about 14,500 on an OCI.

I go about 3-5k or twice a year. Usually once at Thanksgiving and once at Easter.

I have a very short commute, especially in the winter. Last UOA I had 27 ppm Fe, so I'm comfortable changing this often.

On the Silverado I just follow the OLM, it's quite good and I have better things to do than work on my truck.

I will go about 3500 miles on my CTS until 5000 miles then extend to 7000 miles, and no more than one year. Caddy has had issues with their DI engines stretching timing chains and their fix was to reduce the OLM mileage so seems logical to reduce their number even more.

Extended warranty on 08 S60, propsensity for sludge in 97 Camry. I do plan to stretch the oci out in wife's 07 Camry using Toyota 0W20, but I won't go the 10K that Toyota recommends for that oil in that engine for 2010 and later. 7500 is about as long as I'll go, but even that's been a big step for me.

10k miles on toyota 0W20 in my new prius, not willing to extend it as would like to keep the warranty. The other toyotas outside warranty are going to be extended from 6 months to 12 months.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
For those of you that choose not to extend your OCI beyond what the manufacturer states, why?

Just trying to gather people's reasoning.

For one reason and one reason alone = WARRANTY! I have only had one vehicle out of warranty coverage since the late 80's. You just don't mess around with exceeding the mfg's( or warranty company's )max limits if you have a warranty to worry about.

If a vehicle is out of any and all warranty coverage you can exceed the max limits if the oil and filter combo is up to it. That is excluding engines known to be hard on oil like the new GM DI engines.

As others have stated I do it for the warranty. I'll go 5,000 and change it because it's easy for me to do, fairly cheap when I buy the oil on sale, easy to remember (5k, 10k, 15k ect) and best of all it gets me out of the kitchen and into the garage where a man belongs!

Both of our cars only see short commuter trips, and hers is a known sludger that consumes a little more oil than I'm comfortable with. It doesn't like synthetic, either.

Cheap insurance, warm and fuzzies, etc.

Even after our warranties expire I'll still change the oil at 5k. It's less than $30 even with the full syn that I use in my big body. So, it's cheap insurance and I love doing oil changes and general maint. on the cars.

It comes from my father's routine that we got going. On vehicles that we don't put lots of miles on, it's 3333mi... thus it's 1/3rd of 10K miles. We don't have to write it down.

On my work car, I go the MFG speced 5K... since it sees lots more driving... not hard though.

We always use bargain "House" oils (auto part store brands).. currently using WPP made for Federated. It meets all the API specs, and I'm fully satisfied with the performance.

1.My engine is known to be very hard on oil

2.It gets used on drag and autocross

3.After 120k miles I still have perfect compression so I'll keep changing it at 5k

Originally Posted By: Scorch
Not only do I have a terribly sludge prone engine, but I love changing my oil! 3k intervals all the way!

+1 Besides, an extra $30 a year (I do my own changes) not to extend the OCI V.S. a $4-5000 engine is a very easy decision for me.

I never go more than what my manual says. They know more about how how long I should leave the oil in my car than I do. If I want to save money, I'll find other ways.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
I never go more than what my manual says. They know more about how how long I should leave the oil in my car than I do. If I want to save money, I'll find other ways.

^^Yep,same here. My manual says 3000 miles or 3 months on both turbo and non-turbo models,whether using mineral or synthetic oil.

Not sure about MB, Audi etc but the BMW maintenance schedule is 15000 mi. I will be picking up my first Bimmer soon and the concert of long OCI/maintenance is new to me.

My car is modified and is driven like I stole it, I figure that must be hard on the oil and change it a bit early but lately have been slowly extending the OCIs a bit... No point in wasting extra money on oil, even if its so cheap and easy to do. Pennies add up.

It's a turbocharged version of an engine that's already known to be moderately hard on oil, and I drive like the devil made me do it.

For those of you who do not extend due to warranty. Do you plan on extending once the warranty has expired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back