How many of you change the oil when hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change it cold, only after it has not been started for several hours and everything has a chance to drain down.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
I change it when hot, or at least warmed up.

But to be honest, I'm not sure I understand the rationale of it.
I may be wrong but I thought it was to get any contamination suspended in the oil, so it would be caried out with the oil, rather than sit in the bottom of the motor.

I'm also under the impression that although there will be more oil in the top end of the motor after just being run, the oil, being hot, will drain faster from all parts of the motor than cold oil would from the pan, or bottom end.

I change while hot.

Define "hot".
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
I change it when hot, or at least warmed up.

But to be honest, I'm not sure I understand the rationale of it.

It seems to me that the objective is to drain the maximum amount of oil. Wouldn't that be after the oil has been allowed to settle for the longest period of time ... that is, cold?

Given that a cold engine has most (all?) of its oil in the oil pan, why wouldn't draining it cold make sense?

I'm serious ... I've always wondered about that.

That's what I eluded to in my earlier post. I can't see how it would make any difference at all, and I'll believe that until someone shows me proof otherwise.

I think the rationale behind changing it hot came about because of the time factor, especially for dealers/lube places. They want to burn and turn those customers out of there, so hot became the "norm".

Depending on oil viscosity, the amount of residual oil left in the engine will vary. Particularly if the oil is cold. Cold oil will resist pouring as readily as hot oil will. Cold oil will likely have sediments settle in the bottom of the crank case. A slow pour will not take all of the contaminants out with it. Hot oil, on the other hand will have all the sediments mixed with it and will pour from the engine at a much faster rate taking a higher percentage of sediments with it.

You are the first person I've ever heard of who does cold oil changes. Try doing it at 30 below zero. That will give you some insight as to why hot oil changes are the norm.

I just pulled my trans plug and the primary out of the bike it is cold. I am going to let drain till tomorrow. I have never done a cold drain before. My 2 yr old is sleeping and the wife is out so I could not take the bike out. The oil I will do hot I am sure the cold change will be fine.

I've always changed it hot because I thought that more particulate would be suspended in the oil... and that the faster it drained, then maybe it would "wash" some of the stuff out of the bottom of the crankcase on the way out. I normally drop the drain plug immediately after a ride and then let it drain for a couple hours. During that time, I will lean the bike straight up and a little over to the other side for a minute or so, then put it back on the sidestand ( a couple times).

Probably overkill, but it makes me sleep well at night, and a good night's sleep is getting harder to come by these days.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: PT1
Always change it hot....

ALWAYS

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back