How many of you are tired of all the mobil one UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
M-1 is a firt rate oil and always will be. But holy horses such a large percentage of the uoa section is of this oil. Please post you conventional oil uoa's and other synthetics uoa's. I think conventional oil changed at reasonable intervals will provide the same protection and keep the engine just as clean. Just my thoughts. I am very partial to castrol oil now.

Just like at the Corvette forum I frequent if I see a topic that does not interest me I no clickey
smile.gif

I do clickey on the Mobil 1 analysis's though , actually I read and apreciate all of the analyis's here .

i'm running auto-rx right now, and soon i will run out my supply of mobil 1. if my oil analysis with m1 isn't any better i will be switching to some other oil.

depending on my mood, i might just rotate through several different oils to post analysis here. i'm betting that for my oci i can get good results from a host of oils.

this all of course depends on mobil 1 not performing to my expectations.

so, if you can hang on for a while i might give you something else to read.

wow, that's not much to look forward to.

There's UOA for many dino brands that post better results than M1 for 3K mile OCI. If you're looking for good shear results or extended drain, then M1 is great. If you're changing at 3K or less, then you're just wasting your money! JMHO

I'd like to see more uoas on Quaker state, phillips trop artic, citgo oil, havoline synthetic, and any other synthetic out there besides mobil 1 and amsoil

[ March 29, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

I use Mobil 1 so for me, I'm glad to see them. Plus, it is the number one selling synthetic so its to be expected. I'm with you though on seeing all different oil analysis.

I'd really like to see some more GC UOA's. Especially some that have more than 7-8k miles on the interval.
It just seems like GC would be the best competitor to M1 with only availability and selection holding it back. It seems to be a good compromise for those using M1 in 0w, 5w, 10w30 grades, or even 0w-40.
For the same reasons Patman has stated, I like the fact that GC is slighty thicker on the 30wt scale and retains its viscosity very well.
M1 0w-40 may be a little too viscous whereas M1 5,10w-30 may be a little too thin at 100 deg C, leading to slightly more noticable valvtrain noise for some users. However, the noise does not appear to be an indication of M1 inability to protect.

I've got GC in the '98 audi 2.8 30v right now, I plan to let it go for 10k; heck, if the dealer goes 10k on dino (some do this), then GC surely will fair well at 10k.

quote:

Originally posted by toyvwbenz:
If you are using Mobil 1, why are you doing a UOA with each drain? What's the point? $$$$$

My guess is that some people think that $hit happens and you get leaks and what not every now and then. Maybe you'll start slowly leaking coolant one day or possibly have a clogged air filter. Maybe they just do it for peace of mind?

quote:

If you are using Mobil 1, why are you doing a UOA with each drain? What's the point? $$$$$

You're no fun
grin.gif
Who said this site has anything to do with economy? We're oil freaks
freak2.gif

I'm glad I did my first UOA on Mobil 1 .I was really dismayed by the results. Delvac 1 proved a much better product.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue636:

quote:

Originally posted by toyvwbenz:

My guess is that some people think that $hit happens and you get leaks and what not every now and then. Maybe you'll start slowly leaking coolant one day or possibly have a clogged air filter. Maybe they just do it for peace of mind?

If I had the $$$ I would do it all the time. I just think it is cool to get a UOA on YOUR engine. It is almost like getting a report card or dyno report. It neat to get something unique to your vehicle and to see how it compares to the whole. I mean that is all we are doing on this website pretty much is making comparisons and judgements.

I think it is a safe assumption that almost everyone who reads these things share something in common. We are curious on how things work from a scientific and subjective point of view and and constantly weighing the costs related to quality and performance.

I mean come on, admit it don't you get excited when you have an excuse to put in new spark plugs because they only have 10,000 miles of life left on them? The internal combustion engine was one of man's greatest inventions of all time.

I USE AMSOIL AND THEIR FILTER AND OTHER PRODUCTS. I CHANGED THEM WHEN THE FEEL AND LOOK DIRTY , SCREW THE COST.

YOU KNOW IN THE OLD DAYS IF YOU DIDN'T TAKE CARE OF YOUR HORSE IT WOULD LEAVE AFOOT, SAME APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE TODAY.

We certainly have seen lots of 5w30 and 10w30 M1 UOAs, but we can always use more. More reports equals more learning, IMO.

I would like to see more M1 0w20, 0w40 and 15w50 reports though, just for curiosity.

cool.gif
I think different engines respond to different oils. M1 is first-rate, as was mentioned, but that's not to say that it will get the same results in everything.

Remember people here are spending their own money to do these UOAs and VOAs. They are also doing it with their own vehicles, and using an oil that they like, or feel comfortable using. It should be no suprise that a lot of them end up using M1, or other top shelf oils. Don't rag on them for not using another oil, it's their choice. If you want to try another oil, fork over the money and do it yourself.

Just my 2 cents.
dunno.gif

-T

I think all the Mobil 1 UOAs here are great. Here's why. You'll probably find a UOA that's close to your personal application(s). So, if you want to get an idea of how Mobil 1 performs in your type of engine, it's probably easy to find. Call it a benchmark. This starting point can save time and money in your quest for the "right oil and interval".

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
If you want to try another oil, fork over the money and do it yourself.

cool.gif
Heck, I'm spending an extra $20 on each already-costly M1 change just so I can post UOA's with different filters to share the results.
grin.gif

Also, M1 does change their formula from time to time and UOA's are the way to check up on them and keep their arses honest.

quote:

Originally posted by like a rock:
... I think conventional oil changed at reasonable intervals will provide the same protection and keep the engine just as clean. Just my thoughts. I am very partial to castrol oil now.

Could it be because folks running dino oils aren't going much beyond 3k mi OCIs?
dunno.gif
Isn't one of the arguments for using dino oil that you can "afford" to change it frequently?
dunno.gif
I know if I was still willing to run dino at 3k mi OCIs, I sure wouldn't be spending any money on UOAs. (And the same for any full syn at less than 5k mi OCIs.)

Now, if folks were interested in extending their dino OCIs to 10k mi, you can bet we'd see a lot more UOAs on 'em. I'm pretty sure you could do this with many of the good, dual-rated HDMO 15W-40 oils on the market.

But I think you'll have to jump that "3-mos/3k-mi" hurdle first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back