How many miles left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this will be a tough one,but just a rough estimate is good.
I have a 2006 sentra and my driving style is easy does it.
I have tires rated for 50k and there is 5/32 tread left.
Any ball park figure possible?
The tires are Dorals but have been renamed Aspen A/S sold by Big O tires.
After posting I found out that the tire started with 10/32.
So is 10/32 the total depth or just to the wear bars?

Last edited:
10/32nds to the bars or total depth is a good question. I'm GUESSING it's to the bars.
I'm also guessing that your easy driving style could get you another 25K but with Colorado curves and hills you'll be lucky to see 20 of 3 season driving.
You do have snows, yes? Kira

Started at 10/32" of an inch and I believe 2/32" is at the wear bars. If the tires go 50k miles on 8/32" of tread that should be 6,250 miles per 1/32" of tread. But tires wear at different rates, if yours really do take 50k miles to get down to 2/32" from 10/32" you have roughly 18,750 miles left. How many miles on the tires?

Sorry if that's about as clear as mud

Originally Posted By: measureman
After posting I found out that the tire started with 10/32.
So is 10/32 the total depth or just to the wear bars?

10/32 is total depth. 2/32 is at wear bars.

However, your wet traction will be a lot worse when you're near 2/32, so if you drive in the rain, you might consider replacing your tires a lot sooner than that, like at 4/32...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=157

just like everyone else said - although with winter approaching I would consider new tires before the snow hits. snow traction diminishes and the tendency to hydroplane increases noticeably when tires get down to 5/32 - 4/32 from the testing that I have seen.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Started at 10/32" of an inch and I believe 2/32" is at the wear bars. If the tires go 50k miles on 8/32" of tread that should be 6,250 miles per 1/32" of tread. But tires wear at different rates, if yours really do take 50k miles to get down to 2/32" from 10/32" you have roughly 18,750 miles left. How many miles on the tires?

Sorry if that's about as clear as mud

there is about 35k on the tires
I do not live in the mountains and Denver is just a little hilly.
No snow tires,really no need for them.
If you live just west in the mountains snow tires and all wheel drive are really a smart way to go.
We don't get a lot snow here in the metro area,it all falls in the mountains.

I guess no mathematicians here...you can't estimate the miles remaining without knowing...
...The miles run so far
...The rate of wear for the each of 2/32...i.e from 10/32 to 8/32 to 6/32...
Why?
...Some tires (most in fact) wear faster during the 1st 2/32...less so from 8/32 to 2/32...

...and yes, 10/32 is the total depth of tread.

I had those tires on my Camry and they got to 5/32 after 18k miles when I sold them and upgraded to 17"ers...The Sentra is lighter so they should last longer...

Reminds me-The other day a friend of mine was telling of just now replacing the rear OE Michelins on his '04 caddy with 135k miles. He said the 'tire shop guys' told him that the tires wear down to a certain point (wear bars?) and stop-no more wear

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I'm with KitaCam in that without knowing how many miles are on the tires now, you can't give a good estimate.

Same here! How many miles have you traveled thus far?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I'm with KitaCam in that without knowing how many miles are on the tires now, you can't give a good estimate.

The OP has already answered that: 35K miles.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

The OP has already answered that: 35K miles.

Opps! Missed that. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: measureman
. . . there is about 35k on the tires
I do not live in the mountains and Denver is just a little hilly.
No snow tires,really no need for them.
If you live just west in the mountains snow tires and all wheel drive are really a smart way to go.
We don't get a lot snow here in the metro area,it all falls in the mountains.

When I lived there in '97-'01, it snowed maybe once a month during Oct.-April, but usually the snow would be gone and the roads almost dry the next day. The sun would come out and steam the snow away.

I drove RWD cars every winter I lived there, and when I took it easy on a snowy commute, I had no trouble.

The #1 purpose of tires is traction. These are cheap tires (listed as Good by Big-O, not Better, not Best, not Best Value), winter is approaching, hills, some snow, hopefully lots of rain. No telling how bald other drivers' tires are. I'd want tires with excellent traction to handle braking down those hills and driving on curves in the rain/slush/snow and to be better able to dodge other drivers sliding toward me.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
The #1 purpose of tires is traction. These are cheap tires (listed as Good by Big-O, not Better, not Best, not Best Value), winter is approaching, hills, some snow, hopefully lots of rain. No telling how bald other drivers' tires are. I'd want tires with excellent traction to handle braking down those hills and driving on curves in the rain/slush/snow and to be better able to dodge other drivers sliding toward me.

They are not so cheap in price.Maybe quality.
they want $75 each at Big O.
Cheap tires as in price are about $50.00.
So with the price of oil dropping shouldn't tires prices also drop?
Curves and hills? Denver is not in the Mountains so there are few curves. there are some hills but if you know the city you can avoid them on snow days.
I know i should probably get new tires but snow season doesn't really start until January and lasts through April.
The mountains get pounded almost daily through the winter but I don't go up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back