How many miles do you want to keep your vehicles, expect your vehicles to last. (if currently under 100K)

Usually by the time I hit 80K I have had the vehicle 10 years or so. When I'm bored with a vehicle it goes.

This is my general thought with new cars. 10 years is a good goal to get acceptable value out of it.

Though with my current car (22 BRZ), I really don't know. I might get exhausted with it sooner or I might want to keep it around forever if cars like this disappear. We'll see.

I have a Lexus LS400 that I bought 25 years ago. It has a V8 with rear wheel drive that I prefer.
20220920_072445.jpg
It has 190,000 miles on it and I expect 250,000 easily. I gave it to my granddaughter about a year ago and got another Lexus V8 with rear wheel drive.

Attachments

• 20220704_200814.jpg
    20220704_200814.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 2
Exactly right. I think what often happens is people have a car that needs a particular repair. I refer these repairs as "get by fixes".....meaning they can get by for a while without having to do the repair. While they are "getting by" another repair is needed, and then another, until things compound to the point that they all need to be done at once which translates into a repair bill that is perceived to be more than the vehicle is worth.

They then go through the psychological process of justifying to themselves that they need a replacement vehicle, because the current one needs too many repairs, and so on. They may either trade the car in or sell it outright to someone who comes along, evaluates the vehicle and completes the needed repairs and then either uses the vehicle for themselves or flips it for profit in the market. There are lots of capable people who make a good living doing this. I have seen them roam the junkyards keeping tabs on current inventory of complete whole unit vehicle cores that they can tap later for parts for another "acquisition" vehicle that they will BOLO (be on the lookout for) in the future.

Personally, I try to fix what is broken, replace good with good, and try to keep things in reliable state. I get it that not everyone shares my viewpoint, and I am totally ok with that. This is just an observation from me that has served me well with vehicles, and houses over my lifetime.
Well said, I think you described to a T why most end up selling their high Mileage vehicles...because they drove around with a few “get by fixes” for maybe a little too long, then something bigger/urgent arrived in the repair category. They contemplated the cost of THAT repair, and the other 2-3 things the car also needs, and they trade it in. Or sell it. I’ve done that for too many times. Yet, I’ve still taken a car to 289,000 miles once. I think what really does me in is when all these repairs add up, along with rust or massive oil consumption, and then I throw in the towel. Next time - if I can prevent the rust - I want to see if I have the resolve to keep a car behind 300,000 miles. I kind of doubt I’ll be able to do it, but it’s fun to try.

Back