How many miles do you want to keep your vehicles, expect your vehicles to last. (if currently under 100K)

Age is an important variable here. I would expect very different outcomes from a 2 year old car with 200K miles vs. the same mileage on a 20 year old car.

i expect my car to last way over 800 000 kilometers. i maintain it like a fanatic. i reduce all the maintenance intervals in my owner's manual by half or more. i rust proof it every year and i wax it 4 times a year. i use only premium fuel. it is a made in japan 2021 mazda 3 sedan turbo awd. how long i will keep it always depend on what mazda will come up with in the future.

Right up to the point where I'm no longer willing to maintain it. I think the better question is what is ones financial pain threshold with regards to keeping a vehicle on the road and enjoyable to drive.

I have a 2018 Optima 2.4l w/ 70k. I say a little prayer whenever I start it. 😂 The knock sensor went out and was replaced under warranty 10k miles ago at 60k. Been using Penz Platinum every 3,500mi since new, but it's paid off and I really need to trade it before the engine 💩. I don't feel like fighting for a new short block even though it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Plus a loaner/rental yada yada. Admittedly my record keeping (proof) of oil changes hasn't been the best as those Walmart receipts dont hold up very well. I log it in a book but yeah. Just biding my time....🙏🤞

Road salt is brutal.
Exactly, I go by age and not distance travelled. As I get older, I shorten the expected life span as well. I kept my first car over 20 years, my next was 17 years old when I sold it, third was 14 years old, and now my DD is 11 years old; plus I only travel 10k kilometers per year.

Was going to buy a new Hybrid Rav 4 in 2023 putting 10 grand down. Interest rates now almost 10 percent even with great credit. Will for sure be driving the Acura in signature hopefully another 5 to 10 years and 100k miles. Truck gets driven once a month if that so that is going to be around for the long haul. Wife is content with her Jetta still so hopefully no major issues moving forward/fingers crossed and Subaru needs a new timing belt, etc.... That will be the first to go. Interest rates go down -- will purchase that new Rav 4 Hybrid -- for now -- money stays in the bank.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Optima 2.4l w/ 70k. I say a little prayer whenever I start it. 😂 The knock sensor went out and was replaced under warranty 10k miles ago at 60k. Been using Penz Platinum every 3,500mi since new, but it's paid off and I really need to trade it before the engine 💩. I don't feel like fighting for a new short block even though it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Plus a loaner/rental yada yada. Admittedly my record keeping (proof) of oil changes hasn't been the best as those Walmart receipts dont hold up very well. I log it in a book but yeah. Just biding my time....🙏🤞
"UNLOAD!!!" ;)

Want: 150K miles (unless i get bored).
Expect: 200K miles.

If you can't see my sig:
2022 Palisade
2022 Accent
Good luck!!

I’m a 200k expectation with minimal repairs. Truly anthesis of what auto manufacturers seek.

Just my opinion but if you maintain a vehicle appropriately and it can’t swing 200k with reasonable repairs…failure.

I tend to drive a vehicle for 20+ years. I currently drive a 1999 BMW and a 2017 Nissan. The Nissan may be the last vehicle I buy for myself. My wife drives the BMW and I'm ready to get her final vehicle. I am capable of fixing anything that go wrong and it's much less expensive to repair than to finance and make indefinite payments.

My deciding factor in replacement comes from the deterioration of interior plastics and fabrics. When head liners are sagging, seats are torn, seals no longer seal and seatbelts/air bags are past their serviceable date, I start looking.

Vehicle maintenance is like saving for retirement - you can't wait until the vehicle is old and worn out to decide to start performing preventive maintenance. And you can't start your retirement savings at 60 years old and expect to have anything at 65. From day one you start planning for the inevitable.

180k+ miles on my 05 Scion tC. Original struts and steering components, all I ever had to replace was the AC compressor, brake master cylinder, and have up coming rear caliper replacement on both sides. Besides regular maintenance, and recall for the steering rack, the car has served me well. I think I can get another 50k out of it.

I feel like 200k miles is a pretty reasonable expectation for most modern cars however I tend to bail closer to 150k miles myself and in many cases much sooner than that. Usually I get bored and buy something else long before serious mechanical issues ever come up anyway.

Back