How Many Here Are Turned Off By Electric Vehicles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick of hearing about them. Especially all of this nonsense about them being "green". The rare metals used in the manufacture of the batteries are anything but environmentally friendly. And I read somewhere there isn't enough Lithium on the planet to replace every gas vehicle in existence with a battery powered electric, if they wanted to. Most of the electricity used to recharge them come from fossil fueled power plants anyway. So where is all of this "green" crap? To me this is another one of those, "sounds better than it really is", type of deals. A bit like putting solar panels on your roof, and windmills in your backyard.

The recharge time is too long, and there is no network of charging stations to support them. I know people will argue, but there really isn't. Especially if you get the slightest bit off the beaten path. Who would buy an electric pickup truck? You want to tow your boat or 5th Wheel 600 miles a day? Yeah, that'll work.

At best I can see one of these things for, is a second car if you're retired, to drive around town with. Even then, I would rather buy a small gas car. Why handicap yourself with limited range, and long downtime on a recharge? To me they're a solution to a non existent problem. Imagine pulling a U-Haul trailer, moving from Boston to L.A. with one. Do you think you could beat the pioneers trip time?

All too often the policy doesn't match the advocacy, or there are contradictory things in play.

Prime example:
Ontario's largest source of energy, not just clean energy, is our nuclear fleet. By a wide margin. However, the "Green" party has gone on record saying they would immediately shutter all the nukes. This means they would be replaced by gas, the complete opposite of being "Green".

Right now, we are told we are in a "climate crisis" and we need to use "all tools at our disposal" yet you look at Germany's Energiewende, which has been an unmitigated disaster, or even at what's going on here in Ontario, we have governments and orgs talking about "net zero" while we are slated to retire 17% of our clean energy (Pickering) because we pissed $80 billion into the wind (literally) on wind and solar and so now spending the money to refurbish Pickering is "prohibitive". But I thought this was an emergency?

At the same time, we are paying "Carbon taxes" for what exactly? That money clearly isn't going to refurbish Pickering or build new effective zero emissions generation, no, it goes off into the void of government coffers to be spent on who knows what. So we get penalized for consuming fossil fuels, but the plan, presently, is to literally burn more fossil fuels to produce electricity, it's a complete Gong Show.

All too often the policy doesn't match the advocacy, or there are contradictory things in play.

Prime example:
Ontario's largest source of energy, not just clean energy, is our nuclear fleet. By a wide margin. However, the "Green" party has gone on record saying they would immediately shutter all the nukes. This means they would be replaced by gas, the complete opposite of being "Green".

Right now, we are told we are in a "climate crisis" and we need to use "all tools at our disposal" yet you look at Germany's Energiewende, which has been an unmitigated disaster, or even at what's going on here in Ontario, we have governments and orgs talking about "net zero" while we are slated to retire 17% of our clean energy (Pickering) because we pissed $80 billion into the wind (literally) on wind and solar and so now spending the money to refurbish Pickering is "prohibitive". But I thought this was an emergency?

At the same time, we are paying "Carbon taxes" for what exactly? That money clearly isn't going to refurbish Pickering or build new effective zero emissions generation, no, it goes off into the void of government coffers to be spent on who knows what. So we get penalized for consuming fossil fuels, but the plan, presently, is to literally burn more fossil fuels to produce electricity, it's a complete Gong Show.
The Green party if given their way would shutter the nuclear power plants and NOT REPLACE them.

Our next daily will be full electric. Guaranteed.

I’m personally tired of seeing JLo continuously in all news sources and feeds, even spilling into clothing

seems like she is the only celebrity that exists for the last year

In terms of car advertising I am sick of seeing only cars that no normal person would ever own, this isn’t an EV thing, car shows tend to show plenty of $250,000+ transport appliances of all forms

Currently they only make sense in certain market segments. For example, I truly believe the new Tesla Plaid powertrain is a turning point in the “muscle car” segment. It’s absolutely a market destroyer.

I also believe EVs will be cheaper to make and thus more profitable than many ICE cars in about 10 years.

Has anyone read any reports on how these things, (electric vehicles), work in frigid climates? I've often wondered how they would fair in say Duluth, or Fargo, or even Fairbanks in January? How much power would it take to heat the thing so the driver doesn't get frostbite, and defrost the windows? How much efficiency is lost in the batteries when it's -35 F ? How about heated seats, rear view mirrors, and steering wheels? You never hear about this stuff. Not everyone lives in the sunbelt.

Last edited:
At this point, I'd have no heartburn having a pure EV in addition to a gas-powered car (or hybrid/plug-in hybrid), but I'd guess within 10 or so years, the feasibility will be completely there and I'd have no concerns. Charging on road trips presents the largest issue of EVs, to me. Winter range would be potentially annoying but isn't necessarily a deal-breaker unless you buy something that barely makes your typical drive before accounting for adverse conditions. A plug-in hybrid may be the best compromise as it stands (some pure EV miles, plus flexibility to drive however far without charging infrastructure).

Perhaps the greatest flexibility/cost savings might come from, in a two-car household, a larger hybrid (say, a Sienna or a Highlander) that was big enough for everyone to road trip and also made a good daily, and a pure EV for the driver doing the most commuting. Gas use in that model would be super low, and you'd have all the flexibility needed for most everyone. In 2021, I think a Model 3 + Sienna Hybrid (36/36 mpg) would be a superb combo.

I don't own one but they are cool , I would consider buying one if I were in the new car market and the moon and sun were just right. They are just another source of transportation and an option as 99.567% of the driving I do is under 70 miles round trip. An EV would make a great second car. i used to work on fork lifts, a fork lift is not a car but a gas fork lift does lots of things good and an electric fork lift does lots of things good. Most people that are "Green" are just believing what the Tv tells them to believe. Be gentile on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back