How many have an older car with less miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Les:
...than the one I just bought from one of my mother's friends? It is a 1991 one owner Ford Taurus with 20180 miles on it.

Now I need to decide what oil to put in its 3.0L V6.

Les

Put in Castrol GTX 10w-30 and change it every 3,000 miles.
Is it a Taurus SHO model?
-Tommy

1998 Mazda Miata; 6000 miles. Owner brags it still has original washer fluid...

Car is driven maybe 20 times a year, but gets washed like 30 times...
grin.gif

Oooo... have to jump in on this one. My Dad has an '85 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham. 13K miles on it's 305 V8. It has the original everything, except a/c seals which dried out about 5 years ago, so it was converted to R-134a. Need a sample of 1985 air?
grin.gif

- Scott
cool.gif

so where do you guys get the low mileage cars from? I read some say from elderly grandparents and some bought themselves..but what about someone looking to find that used low mileage car?

1956 Ford F250 with 55k miles. 1993 F150 with 67k miles. The F150 only had 34k on it two years ago. Ended up commuting long distance for one year.

Dana

Want an older, low-mileage car?
Try visiting the local Buick dealer, then asking for the used lot. There tend to be a healthy number of "old lady" trade-ins. I saw a '92 Buick (forget the model) with 37K on her on a local lot last fall. Of course, if you don't like GM's 3.8 liter V6, then that would be a bad idea.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
Of course, if you don't like GM's 3.8 liter V6, then that would be a bad idea.

What's not to like? Honestly? It is a very durable motor, lots of torque, and gets incredible MPG, especially when you consider how "old school" it's design really is.

My 97 GTP, even though slightly modified (ran a best quarter mile of 13.78 at 100mph) would still give me 22MPG in mixed driving, and close to 30 on the highway! It was making close to 300hp and 300ftlbs of torque. You could just breathe on the gas pedal and it would pull away strongly.
smile.gif

The 3.8 V6 is easily one of GM's finest, it's sad to think that it might not be around much longer most likely (the Grand Prix and Regal will be getting a detuned LS2 V8 soon, making close to 300hp)

Sicne were telling stories.

I know someone who ordered/puchased (cash) a totally loaded Black Impala SS the last year it was offered (1996?). He told the salesman that he did not want the car touched when it came in. He went and picked it up with a trailer, left the stickers in the windows and everything just like it came off the car carrier with around 3 miles. Would not even drive it onto the trailer, got mad when he found out they washed it. Its now stored in a heated building in one of those sealed bags you can get to store collector cars. Puchased it as an investment.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Sicne were telling stories.

I know someone who ordered/puchased (cash) a totally loaded Black Impala SS the last year it was offered (1996?). He told the salesman that he did not want the car touched when it came in. He went and picked it up with a trailer, left the stickers in the windows and everything just like it came off the car carrier with around 3 miles. Would not even drive it onto the trailer, got mad when he found out they washed it. Its now stored in a heated building in one of those sealed bags you can get to store collector cars. Puchased it as an investment.

The sad thing is, if he waits another 10 years he might get exactly what he paid for it. Of course, had he invested the money he spent on that car in something else, he could've doubled his money by that time. Cars are rarely good investments.

In about 1987 or so, my dad and I and one of his friends drove to Little Rock,Arkansas to look at a car for sale. It was at the home of body and fender man. The seller had a 1981 Chevrolet truck with only 2,000 miles on it. However, it had been owned by an 80 year old man, and the guy said there wasn't a straight place on it when he got it.

I mowed the yard of an elderly woman for many years until her death in '99. She had an '87 Cutlass Brougham with 6,000 miles on it. It was a total grandma 4 door 6 cylinder with electric everything, but it also had a tachometer! The car was mint. She had me move the car so I wouldn't blow dirt on it even. The check engine light was always on though. After she died,her daughter and son-in-law got the car and probably ran it to death.

I have a '95 Firebird Formula with 46,000 miles on it. Most of those miles have come in the last couple of years or so. I decided it was more fun to drive it than to sit and look at it. I still don't drive it in the rain if I can help it though. I still have the original tires on it also, but they are starting to get dry-rotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back