How many companies still use Group I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Mobil Drive Clean had a fair amount of group I base stocks, hence it's name.

Johnny (I think) had also stated that Super Tech had a high group I proportion, however since its SL update, manufacture has been shifted from the QS subsidiary to Warren Performance Products. From their data sheet, I believe that Warren is all group II or II+.

Citgo uses up to 20% Group I oil in formulating Harley Davidsons Screaming Eagle SYN3 "synthetic" oil, according the MSDS.

[ October 06, 2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: doyall ]

Somebody at this web site said that Mobil Drive Clean is Group I, and I think somebody said that Valvoline All Climate is supposed to be Group I, or partly Group I.

I believe the Citgo Supergard 10w-30 and 10w-40 contains 70+% Group 1. I found it interesting that their 5w-30 appears to contain 70+% Group II or higher. I normally would go for the 10w-30 grade but it has a lower HTHS than the 5w-30. I wonder if that is because they expect the 5w-30 to shear down some ? Anyone know.

Sad if true. I'm hoping my stash of Chevron Supreme 10W-30 is Group II & Group II+ 'cause my Hyundai's gonna be living on it for a L-O-N-G time to come...

How many companies still use Group I motor oil (or maybe group I mixed with some Group II) and why do they still use Group I?

I would assume that they can make more money that way, because the oil costs less to make. But are there any other reasons?

Does the Group I naturally have more resistance to corrosion, acid build-up, and rust? And better additive compatibility? And maybe you can cut back on the addtivies somewhat because the oil already has certain natural characteristics?

I doubt there are ANY Group I base stocks in SL rated oils*. I wouldn't be surprised if that was also true of SJ oils, too. (I know well before the SL oils were intro'd, Equilon Havoline expounded on the back of the bottles about their use of Group IIs in their SJ products.)

There is NOTHING about Group I base stocks you want in your car's engine if you can avoid it. It's undergone only a minimum of hydro-processing, and still contains unstable aromatics that evaporate off and also oxidize readily, as well as sulfated hydrocarbons that promote acid build up as they in turn are oxidized. In the end all this sets the stage for consumption, corrosion, and sludge. Both these nasties are left only in trace amounts in Group II base stocks (as in single digit parts per million amounts). A good deal of the residual waxes present in Group I base stocks are elliminated by hydro-isomerization into desirable paraffinic lube molecules in Group II base stocks, too. THAT translates to a desirable higher viscosity index.

*Not counting the possibility that the additive carrier might be Group I base stock.

[ October 06, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
How many companies still use Group I motor oil (or maybe group I mixed with some Group II) and why do they still use Group I?
-*-*-*-

Donno, but iut can't be in production very much longer IMO because I think the oil companies are going to have to stop making it for the most part by 2005-2007... that only leaves room for Group2 and up, IMO.

If you look at the MSDS of many non-synthetic products you will see "heavy paraffinic distillate", "heavy napthenic distillate" or similar terms. These are most likely Group I base oils. They are still used a lot. Most or all straight weight oils are Group I and many "blends" are Group I + Group III, or even Group I + PAO.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Somebody at this web site said that Mobil Drive Clean is Group I, and I think somebody said that Valvoline All Climate is supposed to be Group I, or partly Group I.

People say lots of things, i. e., Mobil 1 is Gr-III...which just isn't so. Trust what you read off the manufacturer's MSDS, etc.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back