How many breakin miles before a UOA is worth doing? I am planning on:

300 mi OCI
700 mi OCI (1000 mi)
1500 mi OCI (2500 mi)
2500 mi OCI (5000 mi)
5000 mi OCI (10000 mi)

When do you suggest I do the first UOA?

Gene

Is this on a factory new engine or a rebuild?

If I bought a new car, I'd do the first oil change at 3k, and do a UOA at that time too, just for a good baseline.

If I had a motor rebuilt though, I'd do it's first oil change at 100 miles, then again at 500, then at 3000 (at which point I'd switch to synthetic oil). I wouldn't bother doing a UOA until the third oil change.

Its new (2004 Focus ZX3) and since the UOA on other 2.0L Zetecs show they apppear to come with normal MC 5W20 I saw no reason to keep it in long term.

They also seem to break in very fast based on the UOA I have seen.

I already did the first oil change at 300 mi. I figured 3 changes by 2500 mi would flush out most of the garbage.

Then I was thinking get a 2500 mi run and take a baseline UOA. This should tell me if it is okay to extend to 5000 mi max factory oil change interval.

The question is will a UOA run on a car going from 2500 total mi - 5000 total mi be useful or will to much break-in still be going on?

Gene

I'm wondering the same thing as you Gene K. I'm approaching the 5,000 mile mark now but have already done changes at 1,000 and 3,000 miles. When I do my first scheduled maintenance the oil (Havoline 5w-20) will only have 2,000 miles on it so one wouldn't expect a UOA to be of much use in judging the long term capabilities (by long term I mean 5,000 miles...this is dino stuff after all) of this oil. I also wonder if there are still a lot of break in metals being dispersed into the oil to make analysis worthwhile as a baseline.

I guess I'll just cross that bridge when the time comes.

Unless you suspect a problem do an anylsis at 15,000 miles . I don't think there is much to gain by doing a uoa sooner.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Unless you suspect a problem do an anylsis at 15,000 miles . I don't think there is much to gain by doing a uoa sooner.

Amen. By 15k miles, you should be starting to see realistic, non-break-in wear.

I'd do the first UOA @ 10,000 miles. This is assuming that your last "oil clean-up" change was done at 5,000 miles and you then run 5,000 miles on the oil to the 10,000 mile mark. Before that if you sample you may not get a good reading because you're still "cleaning out the crud" till 5,000 miles. And it's a waste to sample until you run the oil to the OCI you want to use. Like Mikep I'd do the first oil change at 1,000 miles, the second at 3,000 miles and the third at 5,000 miles. Then the next one at 10,000 miles. But I see you changed the oil already at 300 miles
grin.gif
. Three oil changes by 2500 miles is a bit excessive and a waste of money.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
I'd do the first UOA @ 10,000 miles. This is assuming that your last "oil clean-up" change was done at 5,000 miles and you then run 5,000 miles on the oil to the 10,000 mile mark. Before that if you sample you may not get a good reading because you're still "cleaning out the crud" till 5,000 miles. And it's a waste to sample until you run the oil to the OCI you want to use. Like Mikep I'd do the first oil change at 1,000 miles, the second at 3,000 miles and the third at 5,000 miles. Then the next one at 10,000 miles. But I see you changed the oil already at 300 miles
grin.gif
. Three oil changes by 2500 miles is a bit excessive and a waste of money.

Whimsey

Thats Obsessive Compulsive to you Bud.
wink.gif

Gene

Such a good question. Wish I could relpy.... However it appears to me you did the most important thing IMO is to change it at least 4 times before 5-8K.
That said, IMO, the engine woont be BROKE in for 15-30K miles. As for me I have 8K+ on a new motor and I'll start doing a baseline soon. You could wait another 10-15K.... but remember you need several (like 3-4) to establish a good base.

I'd say anything over 10-15K then start your baseline.... anything below that is a waste of $$$$$$ IMHO. BUt to each his own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back