How many 5-40 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
So heres what i want to do. i am thinking about switching to rotella synthetic 5-40, but what i am worried about is needing oil, you know as a top off cuz my motor burns oil, about 1 qrt every 1500-2000 miles. any way i want to obviously put 5-40 in to top it off. or should i use something like 10-30 rotella. seeing as how i can easily find 10-30. thanks for the help.

oh the truck is a 2002 2500hd chevy 8.1 liter and yes it does tow large loads, if this really makes a diff, i am also shooting for 10,000 mile oci. i figure that the over the road trucks i work on run it up to 30,000 miles. i can run ten

I always buy a single quart of whatever I normally buy in larger 4 or 5 quart jugs and then refill that single quart from the larger bottle to save some $ and to have a smaller more easy to pour container in my trunk. It's less of a $ difference with the RTS than it is with the Platinum, but it still adds up. Especially when my car consumes 1 quart every 1,100 miles.

and yes it does tow large loads, if this really makes a diff, i am also shooting for 10,000 mile oci.

I think you are stretching things here..
I´d go for a more reasonable OCI of 5k.
As for top of, do as you always done Rotella is mixable
with all other engine oils. A quart of 15W-40 HDEO wont hurt a thing- itll be a good choice infact unless your doing really "cold" cold starts.

If you are looking for longer OCIs why not go with the M1 0-40 0r 5-40 oils. 10,000 OCI will be no problem with them.

That 8.1 has a 6 quart sump, right? If you are burning a quart every 1500-2000 miles, you are replacing all the oil every 9000-12,000 miles anyway, with all the topping off you are doing.

Run whatever OCI seems best but for that motor, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot. It always has some fresh oil in it.

I'd use any oil I could obtain easily. If Rotella synth 5-40 is easy for you to find, that's a good choice. Around metro Atlanta, many stores sell the gallon jugs of 5-40 but not the quart jugs.

As for the 30K OCI comparison, remember those OTR trucks have massive oil sumps, along the lines of 44 quarts or more, and multiple oil filters in a bypass config. A lot different oiling system than your gasser engine.

It has been my experience that 5w40 is easily the most available grade of RTS. Its at WalMart, Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Carquest, NAPA- just about all the big-name parts stores have it.

I don't know where you're commonly seeing 10w30 Rotella... I NEVER see that grade on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
It has been my experience that 5w40 is easily the most available grade of RTS. Its at WalMart, Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Carquest, NAPA- just about all the big-name parts stores have it.

I don't know where you're commonly seeing 10w30 Rotella... I NEVER see that grade on the shelves.

Ditto. And it's a great oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back