How LONG would you leave premium oil filter on with low miles?

This conversation comes up often but I'd like more data points and input. Assume a premium oils and oil filter (Wix, M1, Denso, Motorcraft, Premium Fram, etc.).
Assume a very small driving miles/hours, say 500-1000 annually, no heavy duty profiles of excessive idling, towing, dirty environment etc., and making sure to at least get the vehicle to operating temps monthly, and changing oil on a 6-12 month basis with around 500 to 1500 miles each OCI.

How long or how many oil changes would you feel comfortable leaving a $10 filter on rather than pointlessly changing it? I'm frugal but not cheap, and want to be smart with my resources. I've noticed the price of many consumer goods is up, including on some of the filters I buy. In the aggregate, with a lot of vehicles, I might needlessly be throwing away $50 to $100 in otherwise good filters every 6 months if I am needlessly replacing them; so I'm asking for opinions.

I think 18 months, replacing it every 3rd oil change or about 1500-3000 miles on this profile is a reasonable action. So, new filter is on at mile 50,000 and OC #1 on 1/2020. OC #2 occurs at 50,600 miles on 6/2020. OC #3 occurs at 51,200 miles on 1/2021. OC #4 with new filter occurs at 51,800 on 6/2021. So the filter would have 1,800 miles and 18 months in service. Is that reasonable?
One Filter, One OCI.

One Filter, One OCI.

But, why?

Assume scenarios using identical premium oils and filters and a 1 year interval.
Scenario A: Owner drives 3,000 miles, change oil only. Owner drives 3,000 miles, changes only oil. Owner drives 4,000 miles and changes both oil and filter. The filter has been getting "fresh" oil on 3 separate occasions and the oil never had significant dirt or wear. On each change a lot of contaminants were removed.

Scenario B: Owner drives 10,000 miles and changes both oil and filter. All of the oil has been used for 10k miles and the filter has been filtering progressively lower TBN and dirtier oil for all 10k miles.

It seems to me the filter in Scenario A is less abused than in Scenario B. Do you disagree?

The easy answer is "one oil change," which for me is always 5k miles, regardless of time. If I was a road trip warrior raking up miles exclusively on the interstate, I might go for longer OCIs but I'd still change the filter every time.

This conversation comes up often but I'd like more data points and input. Assume a premium oils and oil filter (Wix, M1, Denso, Motorcraft, Premium Fram, etc.).
Assume a very small driving miles/hours, say 500-1000 annually, no heavy duty profiles of excessive idling, towing, dirty environment etc., and making sure to at least get the vehicle to operating temps monthly, and changing oil on a 6-12 month basis with around 500 to 1500 miles each OCI.

How long or how many oil changes would you feel comfortable leaving a $10 filter on rather than pointlessly changing it? I'm frugal but not cheap, and want to be smart with my resources. I've noticed the price of many consumer goods is up, including on some of the filters I buy. In the aggregate, with a lot of vehicles, I might needlessly be throwing away $50 to $100 in otherwise good filters every 6 months if I am needlessly replacing them; so I'm asking for opinions.

I think 18 months, replacing it every 3rd oil change or about 1500-3000 miles on this profile is a reasonable action. So, new filter is on at mile 50,000 and OC #1 on 1/2020. OC #2 occurs at 50,600 miles on 6/2020. OC #3 occurs at 51,200 miles on 1/2021. OC #4 with new filter occurs at 51,800 on 6/2021. So the filter would have 1,800 miles and 18 months in service. Is that reasonable?
Thanks, actually looks : approx,what I previously do :: 2007 CANYON 4 CYL/MOB15W-30,now :**/ PUROLATOR BOSS//:: though last two,years been doing OIL filter q 6 Month (WAS USING @ NAPA GOLD/ WIX)…partly getting to lazy @ age 74 to Jack up ( my drive up/Ramps got damages)**crankcase drain/ run oil into ORIELLY/ check plug/Gasket ,etc. oil filter easy peasy to,reach, can be messy:: , albeit horizontal GMC, *& I still prime oil filter , with 3-4 oz++..

The easy answer is "one oil change," which for me is always 5k miles, regardless of time. If I was a road trip warrior raking up miles exclusively on the interstate, I might go for longer OCIs but I'd still change the filter every time.
I'm almost exclusively highway miles,
and I almost NEVER change oil before 5,000 miles.... and 10K on an oil change is pretty common.

I regularly run my filters 20,000 - 30,000 miles before I spin on a new one.

What I am planning for my Avalon is to change just the oil at 5k, and keep the Fram Ultra filter in place for another 5k. So that will be a total of 10k on the filter in a little more than a year. I wouldn't go longer than that but to each his own. I know that Fram says the filter is good up to 20k, but I don't feel comfortable with that.

Back