How LONG would you leave premium oil filter on with low miles?

Cellulose deteriorates, especially in the presence of water; synthetic does not. Unfortunately the Ultra went cellulose (backing), so long term synthetic filters are RP, Fleetguard Stratapore, Donaldson Blue, Amsoil, NAPA Platinum/Wix XP, and Baldwin HPG/MPG.

I’m curious. Does the Purolator boss filter also fall into this category along with those you’ve mentioned?

I typically use Wix or Motorcraft oil filters. Oil-wise I use 5W-20 Valvoline maxlife synthetic blend. I change my oil about every 6 months. And it will never have over 3,000 miles on it. Sometimes as little as a 2,000 miles. Manufacturer calls for 5,000 MI. But I will always change the filter with it. At a recent oil sample I still had 4.9 TBN left.

Not 'exactly' on topic but linked is Napa Gold 1348 I ran on a mower with a Kohler No-Courage engine for 7+ years. This is a blend media filter and you can see how well it held up.

I once ran a Bosch Distance Plus 3323, also blend media, 20 months 13.5k miles, two Honda 10-15% MM ocis. Post use looked great.

Generally speaking for me, two years in automotive use, perhaps three tops.

Are you all draining a used filter and replacing?
Seems like it would get that last pint(?) and allow inspection...

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of a modern filter deteriorated due to age.

I have a Mobil 1 filter on my truck, going on 17 months/3,300 miles so far.
I add a qt every 1000 miles or so, and I am not really sure when I will change the oil and filter next.

Curious, when you use this phrase it suggests that filter disintegration is common, as are engine rebuilds due to filter disintegration. Is this an issue in modern filters, not Frams of years ago. Otherwise it's an irrelevant data point.
I don’t know of any filter manufacturer that is going to warranty a filter for more than a year, including Fram with the Ultra; so, if a filter fails, you’re on your own. For want of a $2-15 filter!

This conversation comes up often but I'd like more data points and input. Assume a premium oils and oil filter (Wix, M1, Denso, Motorcraft, Premium Fram, etc.).
Assume a very small driving miles/hours, say 500-1000 annually, no heavy duty profiles of excessive idling, towing, dirty environment etc., and making sure to at least get the vehicle to operating temps monthly, and changing oil on a 6-12 month basis with around 500 to 1500 miles each OCI.

How long or how many oil changes would you feel comfortable leaving a $10 filter on rather than pointlessly changing it? I'm frugal but not cheap, and want to be smart with my resources. I've noticed the price of many consumer goods is up, including on some of the filters I buy. In the aggregate, with a lot of vehicles, I might needlessly be throwing away $50 to $100 in otherwise good filters every 6 months if I am needlessly replacing them; so I'm asking for opinions.

I think 18 months, replacing it every 3rd oil change or about 1500-3000 miles on this profile is a reasonable action. So, new filter is on at mile 50,000 and OC #1 on 1/2020. OC #2 occurs at 50,600 miles on 6/2020. OC #3 occurs at 51,200 miles on 1/2021. OC #4 with new filter occurs at 51,800 on 6/2021. So the filter would have 1,800 miles and 18 months in service. Is that reasonable?
I personally wouldnt go more than 12 months.

Some of my older vehicles' manuals state to replace the oil and filter every 5k miles or 4 months, whichever is first. If you did that you'd be going thru 3 oil filters every year. That seems excessive. Dunno.

Three others just states every 5k miles to replace oil and filter, no time mentioned at all. One has oil and filter every 6 months or 6k miles whichever is first.

Manuals seem all over the map. But they are consistent with replacing both at the same interval.

Low mileage ( 1500) use is why I am going on three years now. I will do an oil/filter change next year. I have always done this and am not convinced that time alone will cause an oil filter to fall apart inside. I would be more concerned about running them for incredibly long mileage intervals under operating stress as many do, not idle time.

^^Yeah. A previous poster mentioned leaving a lawn tractor filter in service for what, 7 years?

I'd just want to make sure I wasn't "dirt oiling" my engine.

Low mileage ( 1500) use is why I am going on three years now. I will do an oil/filter change next year. I have always done this and am not convinced that time alone will cause an oil filter to fall apart inside. I would be more concerned about running them for incredibly long mileage intervals under operating stress as many do, not idle time.
“Idle” meaning non operating time …

^^Yeah. A previous poster mentioned leaving a lawn tractor filter in service for what, 7 years?

I left an XG3614 on a 19 HP Briggs for two years … nearly vulcanized !
Took screwdriver intervention + filter pliers … Going back to one year on a cheaper filter …

"Dirt oiling" ... ??

Back