How long until new engine turns oil black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer will turn the oil "blackish" when drained but just real dark on the dip stick at even 3,200 miles but it didn't smell like fuel in the oil. I just did an OC at 7,000 mi in 2 months, almost all high speed highway driving, and it was "blackish" but also smelled like fuel in the oil. I'm told I'll have the Blackstone UOA by tomorrow. The oil after 9,000 mile OC's for both our 4.6 Ford V-8's and our Ford 2.0 Zetec comes out a darker bronze without any fuel smell. Different engines result in different oil appearances and UOA results.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Are you going to do like most members here do, use the oil filter multiple times?
I just can't wait to see how many jump off of the "USE FILTER MULTIPLE TIMES" wagon and flame me!

I have your back BOF, the annual oil changers will probably want a piece of you, 5K and NEW filter is my mandatory routine
cheers3.gif

Oil color has a lot to do with blowby.
Partly burned HCs are often dark in color.
There's lots of variation in ring sealing, hopefully from good to great.
One cylinder/engine might lose 2 psi on a compression test, another 0.2 psi.
Both will work fine in a street vehicle, but the low leakage one will keep the oil cleaner.
I remember reading one of Smokey Yunick's books on engine building.
He talked about the superiority of the leak down test vs cranking compression test.
Also about how hi perf. racing engines needed better sealing than street engines; and how to get there.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Are you going to do like most members here do, use the oil filter multiple times?
I just can't wait to see how many jump off of the "USE FILTER MULTIPLE TIMES" wagon and flame me!

I have your back BOF, the annual oil changers will probably want a piece of you, 5K and NEW filter is my mandatory routine
cheers3.gif

THANK YOU SIR!
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif

That's interesting about same company but different engines having different results.

I didn't have any smell of gas, and hopefully won't have any when I change the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back