How long to wait for free oil test kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago, perhaps even 3, I requested the Blackstone oil test kit but so far, nada.

I'm changing oil this weekend (replacing M1 5-30 with GC 0-30) and this would be a good time for them to send the kit.

Even if I could collect the sample oil in an acceptable method and container, I'm not sure that I want to give them my business if they can't send the kit as promised.

This would be my first UOA and we don't have many for 4.0 SOHC Explorers with this oil. Would be informative and it still could be.

Is anyone at Blackstone home?

This seems to be a very common occurence, whoever at Blackstone is responsible for sending out the kits is definitely lagging behind here.

Hopefully someone from Blackstone will read this and rectify the situation.

I also think it's kind of misleading to tell people they are getting a "free kit". The analysis itself isn't free, just the test tube. But who cares about getting a free test tube if the test itself isn't free?

If it were me running the show, I'd offer half price on the first analysis to get more people in the door.

I ordered mine on 29 October, still waiting for it to arrive.

Long as they're fast on turning around samples, I can manage the wait time on kits.

Same here, I ordered mine 3 week ago. If I owned that business, I would make sure the kits went out the same day as requested before the customer found another lab

It doesn't hurt to collect the sample in a glass jar and save some in case of screw ups.

quote:

Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

Even if I could collect the sample oil in an acceptable method and container, I'm not sure that I want to give them my business if they can't send the kit as promised.

I used the Order Free Kit link and over a month later I still had not recieved a kit. Tried it again and a month later still no kit.
Called Blackstone on the phone and had the kit with-in 5 days. The woman that answered was very nice. 260-744-2380

[ November 10, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: ALS ]

I think maybe their website kit ordering link is faulty. Email Kristin there directly ([email protected]) and she will send kits right out. That's what I do and I get them in 3-5 days, and I get as many as I ask for. As far as reports, I get them as a PDF in email in about 10 days or so. They are great folks to deal with.

[ November 10, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: bearclaw ]

I also used the "Free Kit" link on their website but followed it up with an email asking how long I should expect it to take. I had the kit in about 10 days if I remember correctly.

As for the service and delivery of the OA, I was very pleased. Since it's the only one I've ever done I don't have any to compare it to but I do know that if I ever use another lab they'll have a tough act to follow. The Blackstone service was prompt and very nicely formatted in the pdf. The kit they provide is a handy item..nice and neat.

Not sure how a half price on first try would work out for them. I suspect many people would get one and only one analysis done. Perhaps a barcoded pre-paid shipping label on the kit they send would be a nice thing to do for using their service.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
I used the Order Free Kit link and over a month later I still had not recieved a kit. Tried it again and a month later still no kit.
Called Blackstone on the phone and had the kit with-in 5 days. The woman that answered was very nice. 260-744-2380

Anyone try to pay for one?
Maybe they take longer on the FREE ones ???

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:

Anyone try to pay for one?

But the point is, they aren't really free! You get the kit for free, so if you don't use it you don't pay anything, but if you send the oil in for analysis, you still pay for the testing just the same.

I ordered a kit twice on the web and received nothing. Then I sent an e mail and got a nice reply from Kristin Huff on 8/6/03 saying they would get a kit out "today." I am still waiting.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
*-*-*-

But the point is, they aren't really free! -*--*-*- [/QB][/QUOTE]
Nothing's free.
My point is maybe they would respond a little faster with a paying customer...
MY bottles for my samples are free, but I do have to pay the postage.
Theres always some catch... Maybe there too swamped with work.... Thats my point, thats all.

Well the weekend is here and today is the day for the 5k oil change. I waited for the mail delivery and there wasn't anything from Blackstone; I changed the oil anyway.

I'm rather displeased with their potential customer service. As a weekend mechanic I may not be there target audience but since they offer the free kit I have a right to expect that the product will be sent in a timely manner in keeping with acceptable/standard business practices and I have an attendant right to complain when they don't.

I don't think I going to use Blackstone for my UOAs. There are too many instances where forum members have waited and waited without results. It's simply unacceptable.

Flashlightboy, a customer or potential customer, deserves better. Try George, another site sponsor, I'll bet he gives better service.
cheers.gif

Well it has been 2 1/2 weeks since I changed my oil and I just wanted to let you all know that I never received the Blackstone kit.

It seems to be a very sad situation for Blackstone when they are unresponsive to the very people whose business they want or if they don't want it then perhaps they should take the time to let their website browers know that average consumers shouldn't bother.

Patman,

I never got the impression that anything BUT the sample holder was free. I guess their wording of "free sample KIT" might mislead some...I know the difference between a kit and analysis, though (thanks to this message board) so there was never any confusion for me.

FYI, I will report results as soon as I get them. This will be my first oil analysis and it's on my 03 Accord on its 1st run of Pennzoil 5W-20 (first oil change after factory fill).

Oh, and I waited I think 3 weeks on one sample kit and 2 weeks on another (ordered at different times).

The squeeky wheel get's the oil! Some times folks can get busy and forget things. This happends to me all the time! If I don't remind people to do something it won't get done! Call Blackstone and remind them to send the kit and they will.
To give BlackStone credit I'm also a weekend mechanic and they ALWAYS have given me great service and every time I ordered kits they got to me in a week or 2.

It's been my experience with Blackstone that, once you become a regular (especially with more than one vehicle), they will send you replacement kits almost immediately when you send in a sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back