How long to run QSGB: 2009 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a case of QSGB for a buck a quart at an autozone on clearance.

I drive around 40 miles a day total in heavy houston stop and go traffic. Every few weeks I make a long trip of 200-300 miles. I typically run 5k OCI's with blend or syn. Should I continue to run 5k OCI with QSGB?

2009 f150 3v 5.4 with 100k miles.

I would not go over 5000 without a UOA. Mom ran QSGB in her 2.2 Vue out to the OLM, 7500. UOA showed the TBN < 1.

7.5K. My UOA's of Formula Shell in my 5.4 3V 2010 FX4 shows more than enough life left and my driving habits makes the conditions you describe seem enviable.

You're going to be putting 10,000+ miles per year on the truck. You will be fine doing an OCI every 7,500 miles.

If i were you i would invest in a good synthetic and just change it one year or every 15k if you use something good like Edge or Mobil 1 EP.

2010_FX4 has plenty of UOA's with his 5.4 on dino and syn showing that fast miles are SUPER easy on TBN.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3478641/2010_FX4_%7C_M1_AFE_0W-20_%7C_15,1#Post3478641

Have run QSGB 3 times. Ran a batch of SM 5w-20 for 5K, did a UOA and it was a great UOA. IIRC Blackstone said to go to 7K. But IMO the oil was starting to go downhill at the 5K. The viscosity was starting to drop, not off a cliff but about .5 below where it started out at, according to published specs.

I really didn't need to buy this oil but I figured i couldn't pass on name brand conventional for a buck a quart.

I have a 140qt stash with mainly syn and syn blend. I plan on using up this oil after about another 20k miles. I also plan to alternate between the syn and conventional/blend in my stash.

Safe to say it looks like 5k intervals are very conservative and I may continue that route for the future. With 5-6 OCI's for each one of my rides, I may as well keep up the 5k interval. If only I had a friend with a burner that could use some "Mobil 2".

5,000 miles would be very conservative if you are clocking 40 miles per day + the long trip.

How many days a week do you work? What is your yearly average mileage?

I work 9 days every two weeks.

Those 40 miles a day are split into roughly 2 20 mile trips to and from work. I'm averaging around 18-20k miles a year. (2009 with 95k miles)

I don't mind conservatism since each oil change costs me under 10 bucks. My last change ran me $2.50.

I plan on running QSGB for 5k OCI's in my '03 Dakota with a 4.7. I keep it checked and topped off regularly, and the 5,000 milestone is easily attainable. GB is a great oil, I highly recommend it when asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back