How long to run pyb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I have yet to see a benefit of using synthetic oil I'm considering running dino in the focus. I have a bottle of pyb already. What kind of oil change should I do with this oil? How does this oil compare to motorcraft?

Ram Man, 1500 posts from you in one & a half years --- dont tell me you have not been reading topics on here!!
shocked.gif

thorromig,

In defence of Ram Man, I really doubt there is any base stock difference between PYB SN and PP SN right before PUP GTL came along.

If you buy PYB right now I bet it is a GRIII synthetic, with a bit less TBN.

So I would wonder as well, can't you just run PYB as long as you would have Pennzoil Platinum?

I think people run "synthetics" too long, and "dino" PYB too conservatively.

I would guess PYB would be great for 6,000 mile / 10,000 km runs in a car like a 2014 Honda Fit.

I don't think you can use PYB in a DI engine because it isn't labeled a "synthetic", but I am not sure.

Fords manual is vague in a sense. They say as long as the oil is api certified and has the sm rating it's fine for the car and the oil monitor all day when to change it which could be any were between 3000-10000 miles. They don't have a certain recommendation like dexos approved like gm. So that basically leaves the door wide open on what I can use. That being said I want a good oil I want engine to be pretty and clean at over 100,000 miles.

ram man,

If it were my little car I'd only use GTL in a DI engine.

It probably wouldn't make any difference either way, but the DI deposit issues would make me lean towards pure GTL oil.

We only spoke about DI engines a tiny bit in class before I graduated last Summer, so I don't know much about them.

For my Honda Fit, I only use PYB if I got a screaming 10.99$ deal for a jug at Walmart, and try to keep it as a mixer oil or for top ups only down the road as it doesn't use oil yet.

My car uses 3.6L of oil, so I always have oil around I try to mix, and PYB goes in last to bring up to FULL.

After my QSUD and PU is done, I am running Formula 1 Synthetic (CT) in my car for 6 jugs (5L).

I change the oil in my wife's Focus between 7-10K. There is no set interval someone can accurately tell you without a UOA. I believe your owners manual the severe service OCI is 5K and normal service is 75K.

I thought that car had an oil life monitor type system that told you when to change it.. with a max of 1 year time.

Edit: I read the manual for you.

Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (IOLM)
system which shows a message in the information display at the proper
oil change service interval; this interval may be up to two years or
10000 miles (16000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or
OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it’s time for
an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or
500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL
CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The Intelligent Oil-Life

Apparently it has an intelligent oil life monitor so you dont have to use your brain.. just change it when it says "change oil"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I thought that car had an oil life monitor type system that told you when to change it.. with a max of 1 year time.

Edit: I read the manual for you.

Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (IOLM)
system which shows a message in the information display at the proper
oil change service interval; this interval may be up to two years or
10000 miles (16000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or
OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it’s time for
an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or
500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL
CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The Intelligent Oil-Life

Apparently it has an intelligent oil life monitor so you dont have to use your brain.. just change it when it says "change oil"

Yes it says that and then says it's just a guideline and regular maintenance should be performed or whatever. Also it doesn't give a percentage some cars you can check the percentage of life in oil left this one you cannot. And since these Di engines are prone to carbon issues I do want to have a good quality regimen to combat that issue

Sleep SOPUS oil is QSAD and probably Shell Conventional - may have the GTL stock in those oils as well for even lower price that PYB . Still +1 on PYB @ 5,000 miles / 6 months .

Originally Posted By: ram_man

Yes it says that and then says it's just a guideline and regular maintenance should be performed or whatever. Also it doesn't give a percentage some cars you can check the percentage of life in oil left this one you cannot. And since these Di engines are prone to carbon issues I do want to have a good quality regimen to combat that issue

So you are more intelligent than the intelligent oil-life monitor? and ford's engineers?

also I dont see what you mentioned. What page in the manual is that?

All I saw is this on page 472 that seems clear to me?
pg473.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

So you are more intelligent than the intelligent oil-life monitor? and ford's engineers?

also I dont see what you mentioned. What page in the manual is that?

All I saw is this on page 472 that seems clear to me?
pg473.JPG

I look when I get home. And no not at all but I want to use the best oil possible me for the situation.

Fords manual is vague in a sense. They say as long as the oil is api certified and has the sm rating it's fine for the car and the oil monitor all day when to change it which could be any were between 3000-10000 miles. They don't have a certain recommendation like dexos approved like gm. So that basically leaves the door wide open on what I can use. That being said I want a good oil I want engine to be pretty and clean at over 100,000 miles.

In that case, just run to the OLM's suggestion.

I ended up buying pp hopefully it will work well in the car the edge that is currently in it makes it tick like crazy.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Let us know if the tick goes away or is quieter with Pennzoil Platinum.

Doubtful that any oil will quiet the fuel injectors (thats what the concensus was on the noise from the other topics?)

At first I thought it could be but since then I really started listening and dissecting the noise it really does sound like engine noise and it didn't seem to start until I changed the oil. Who knows maybe it is just injectors but I hate the sound

At first I thought it could be but since then I really started listening and dissecting the noise it really does sound like engine noise and it didn't seem to start until I changed the oil. Who knows maybe it is just injectors but I hate the sound
Next time you're near the dealer swing by and have a salesman start one on the lot and listen to it and compare them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back