How long to let this battery go?

My daughter moved from Kansas to Phoenix two years ago in a vehicle with a battery that was a couple years old at that time. Two months ago, she texted me wondering if she should replace the battery just because “it’s getting old”. I told her that she would probably have some warning before it would fail. I was wrong. Two weeks ago, the Phoenix heat made her battery fail without warning. Luckily, her employer gives her two yearly emergency rescues from a local auto club, on her employer’s tab. They gave her a house call, checked the charging system and installed a three year warranty battery, all for $160. Not too bad of a deal, all things considered.

That's why I use AAA now for my battery purchases. 36 free replacement, 72 month prorate, for about that price your daughter paid. All done in my driveway.

Maybe this is b/c I live in the desert--I don't know if its like this elsewhere, but I've found that batteries work well until they don't. They fall off a steep cliff.

My daughter moved from Kansas to Phoenix two years ago in a vehicle with a battery that was a couple years old at that time. Two months ago, she texted me wondering if she should replace the battery just because “it’s getting old”. I told her that she would probably have some warning before it would fail. I was wrong. Two weeks ago, the Phoenix heat made her battery fail without warning. Luckily, her employer gives her two yearly emergency rescues from a local auto club, on her employer’s tab. They gave her a house call, checked the charging system and installed a three year warranty battery, all for $160. Not too bad of a deal, all things considered.

A new battery after four years, or even three has a price......
Peace-of-mind is priceless
You never can tell when a car starting or not might be a life or death situation.
Being stranded in today's world isn't worth the gamble.

Guy lives in the middle of nowhere if I recall. Jumper cables don't help without another car to jump from, and really, do you want to beg from strangers? A jump box would be more useful.
If your going to fork out the money for a jump box you might as well buy a battery.

If your going to fork out the money for a jump box you might as well buy a battery.
Well, if you have one and only car that you drive, ok, but most people and families have more so a jump box can be more useful. And even with a new battery, you can accidentally leave a light on and still need a jump.

I bought several NOCO jump boxes when they were on sale on Amazon for $69. Gave them out as Christmas presents to my wife and the kids with cars.

The jump box is great for a "self-rescue" but it also is very useful when giving someone else a jump. I'm not risking my car's electrical system on some random person's POS. Lowering my risk of helping someone out.

Further, the jump box is much lower risk for the operator, particularly if they're inexperienced. No current until the button is pushed means no sparks. The jump box checks polarity, so there's no risk of a short from inexperienced users.

My daughter, a surgeon, and not really a car person, has used her NOCO several times to help her friends, first in medical school but also at the hospital.

I gave her a really nice set of pure copper jumper cables when she first got the car, but the NOCO is a better choice, given her familiarity and level of comfort with cars. Super-smart girl, just not a car person.

The jump box was less than half the cost of a battery.

They're a great thing to have.

Back