How long to let this battery go?

The battery in our FJ was in it when we bought it. Build date is 1-18.

The pros are that it starts the car fine and does not corrode the cables.

The cons are that it has been ran dead enough to not be able to start the car at least 2x. Possibly more that I don't know of. It was immediately recharged after being ran down.

I believe it's a Johnson made battery.

I hate to toss it when it's still good but I don't want to get stuck with a dead battery either. It will be 4 years old in January and we live in the desert where 100+,even 120's does happen along with high underhood temps.

I hear ya...hard to know what to do. I've been wondering about the original battery in our '15 Grand Caravan (I'm in a cooler climate than you). It still tests good (I use both types of testers), so for now, I guess it stays.

That hot hot a place you live in... 4 years is quite good service in that area Chris.

Given it was drained so bad it wouldn't start and yet still managed to keep on pretty good after that and coming up on 4 years....

I'd buy another battery and put it in there.

Beats being stranded somewhere.

I live in the Mojave Desert too. My batteries have lasted 33-36 months--for years. The last one I had was from WM, with a 36 month free replacement. I took it in at 33 months, to have them test it. It was so low they replaced it. If you can't test it and get it recharged if that is possible, to your satisfaction, I'd just replace it. Almost 4 years in our neck of the woods is very good.

Last edited:
I replaced a factory battery after 7.5 years that still tested fine, I was just starting to get nervous about it, but generally replace after they test weak/lose charge.
It really depends on how you use the car and how problematic a dead battery is for you. I have a Noco jumpstarter that buys some peace of mind, so that might be a good compromise if you don't replace it till it fails.

Tough call…. I’d load test it and figure it out from there. If you can handle failures easily, have someone else who can bring a battery, have jumper cables, etc. then I’d push it. If you run high risk of being stranded middle of nowhere, then change it.

Heat kills batteries, but hot conditions are much easier on cranking and on the ionic mobility in the battery.

If the battery passes a load test, I would continue using it. January of 2018 is much newer than the batteries in my vehicles (2012, 2014 and 2016). All Johnson batteries from Walmart. They work well , I have jumper cables if needed and roadside service. I am not worried.

I always keep one of those lithium starter packs on hand so once it fails me the pack will get me started then I’ll replace it. I’ve had batteries that just kept on ticking. One time a Celica I bought used had this old dead dirty battery in it that the seller added water to then charged it from completely dead. No telling how long it sat dead but the seller even gave me 100 bucks off towards a battery. That battery never let me down during my 4-5 years of ownership.

Reactions: JC1
I've heard that hotter climates shorten the life of batteries. Given where you live and how much you need a vehicle to get around, I think it's time for a new battery.

I’ve watching a 4 year old battery that tests close to its original CCA but usually shows 12.0 V when sitting for a few days. If it starts to drop to below 12 V or the CCA drops, I’ll probably replace it. Six and seven years is not uncommon up here.

In your case, because of the higher temps, and potentially unpleasant things that could happen if you are in the wrong place when it dies, I’d replace it if you only see 12.0 volts.

I've tested batteries a few different ways. Listening to Cs with the engine off If an afternoon of listening kills the battery, then it is new battery time. Checking a cold battery and it is 12.3 V is another sign.

How low does the battery voltage fall, measured at battery terminals, when cranking the overnight cold engine?

Most wont notice slower cranking until it falls into the low 8's.
When it falls below 8 volts, it likely just clicks.

An overnight discharge to dead, followed by a prompt true full charge via a good enough plug in charger, is not nearly as detrimental to the battery, compared to to a battery drained to dead over 3 weeks, and jumpstarted and only short driven thereafter.

Applying a load, like a loud stereo for 10 minutes, or headlights for 15 minutes, then checking voltage retention during starting can also reveal remaining capacity/health.

I had a 7 year old battery which could easily start my overnight cold engine, but it could not recharge my flipphone to full, then start my semi warm engine.

Back