How long to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change oil for a friend in his '93 Nissan Altima (90K total miles on it) from time to time. Based on what I've read in this forum, we put a Wix 51361 on and filled with Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 (on sale $1.79 at Wal-Mart) last weekend. He drives almost 100% city, probably no more than 400-500 miles a month. I think his owner's manual says 7,500 miles between changes, but that would be well over a year away. Realistically, how long before I should start reminding (nagging) him to change it again?

Well Mike, let me make a few suppositions. One, this being a newbie type question, I can assume you are a young man. Two, your worrying about a "friends" oil change would indicate the "friend" in question is of the opposite gender (and attractive
rolleyes.gif
).

Be assured, for good advice, you have landed on absolutely best spot in cyberspace
wink.gif

This forum is composed of mostly elderly gents, with however, a great deal of experience in these matters
grin.gif
Some might accuse us of being some sort of oil nerds
nono.gif
but, we roll with the punches, accept the "slings and arrows of fortune" and despite everything. offer our sage advice at no charge whatsoever
patriot.gif

If I were in your shoes, I would be pushing for 1,000 mile oil changes using Mobil 1 10W-30 given the severity of the driving conditions. Indeed, I would ask the lady in question to stop by for weekly checks.

As Madame de Lambert remarked to her son, "My friend, never permit yourself anything but follies which will give you a great deal of pleasure". Here on BOBISTHEOILGUY, this is the motto we live by.
cheers.gif

[ June 11, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

Wow, I didn't realize only women could be ignorant about oil changes.
grin.gif
His friend is clearly refered to as "he" and "him", so I'd take the post at face value.

1000 mi changes with Mobil 1?!

I concur with williar--3000 mile changes with a solid dino oil should be fine (the Pennzoil High Mileage has gotten good reports, I'd use it myself with an older car). I might even call for 2000-2500 mi intervals given his driving conditions (still would be about one change every 4-5 months, not unreasonable).

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
I change oil for a friend in his '93 Nissan Altima (90K total miles on it) from time to time. Based on what I've read in this forum, we put a Wix 51361 on and filled with Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 (on sale $1.79 at Wal-Mart) last weekend. He drives almost 100% city, probably no more than 400-500 miles a month. I think his owner's manual says 7,500 miles between changes, but that would be well over a year away. Realistically, how long before I should start reminding (nagging) him to change it again?

Hey, thats an easy question
smile.gif
3000 miles
and ..
--> ex_MGB i think you should better look at man's profile
grin.gif

At 3,000 miles that would take 6 to 7 1/2 months. I would change it at 6 months reguardless of miles, and that is only if the car is driven far enough to warm up to operating temp.

If the miles are this low because the daily trip is not very far, then 3,000 miles is a long way to go and you may want to consider changing the oil every four months.

If it takes a long trip once a week then 3,000 miles in fine in 6 months.

Gentlemen:

I thank you for your input; even yours, ex-MGB!
grin.gif
My friend is male, about 46, and not particularly attractive, although I can get his phone number for you if you want.
tongue.gif

I will see where he is on mileage in four months or so and go from there. Maybe I can talk him into a UOA next time, too.

I like the 6 months idea. Try to arrange them at set times like 4 th of July and Christmas. (You don't have to do the change exactly on these dated
grin.gif
) It's easier that way. The other thing I like to do is put these dates on a personal planner.

Al, I like that idea, but I'd do it at each Equinox. Then, he's not changing oil in the dead of Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back