How long should I run my snowblower before resting it

After I'm done snow blowing, I let mine idle while I put things away and shovel the porch, usually 5 minutes total. Then I turn the fuel shutoff switch to off and let her run dry. Old 10hp Tecumseh from 1995 still runs like a top.

Converted a '70-ish Ariens to a Predator. Starts easily, runs quiet, even wide open. Uses less gas than the old Tecumseh. I can clear the driveway in less than an hour. Pretty much WOT the entire time. I reach down to shut fuel off and it is ready for the next storm. My thought is that if the engine ever needs anything requiring an hour's labor, I'll simply spend 100$ on a new one. :cool:

I have a honda GX200 engine on my old MTD snowblower. After an hour of working it ragged the block was barely warmer than luke warm. I am strongly considering picking up a GX160 fan which has smaller blades or a another GX200 fan and trimming a few blades off due to the OVER COOLING.

I am not sure why the OP believes these things need to be cooled off for at least 30 minutes while being used in the winter. These utility engines may be converted to snowblower use with no air cleaners, more shrouds (for warmth), etc. But the flywheels aren't changed (which usually have the cooling fan cast into it), the heads and blocks are the same as the regular utility engine that is designed to keep itself cool running 90+ degrees in the summer at 80% load continuously.

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman 9hp 28 inch snowblower, circa 1991. I usually run it for an hour or until the tank is empty which ever is less. I do this to prevent engine damage from overheating. I usually let the engine cool for at least a half hour. We got a lot of snow and was wondering if others give their snowblowers a rest or am I being too cautious.
Being way too cautious. Even my 1989-vintage John Deere riding mower's instructions say to run it at idle for 15 seconds before shutting off to cool it off. That's 15 SECONDS, not minutes, and that's in mowing season when it's hot outside. Like others have said, pull the dipstick and feel the oil after it's been running, it's probably much cooler than you think.

I’m waiting for the BITOGers in CA and AZ to say, “what’s a snowblower?”

In all seriousness, the engines on these are exactly the same as the engines which power other lawn/outdoor equipment. Same number of cooling fins, same design. The OEMs don’t change the design for a snowblower, it’s a stock engine.

So, running this engine hard in roughly 30F, when you can run them hard in 90F, isn’t really a concern. that 60 degree cooler air is going to be a lot more effective at removing heat via the fins.

If anything, as was pointed out, they’ll run a bit cool, and probably need a more frequent oil change interval. Depending on where you live, once a season is probably plenty.

Tomorrow I'll check how hot the oil is.
You are overthinking this. You could run that engine for days on end without issue if it is running correctly. I have an early 80's Toro with a 7hp Tecumseh and I run the snot out of it. Let it idle 30 seconds or a minute and shut it down.

You're operating the snow blower in winter temperatures, it's highly unlikely that the engine is going to overheat unless there is an issue with the engine.

Other small air cooled engines run hours upon hours during the summer temperatures and those are ok.

I finish blowing snow with my 2004 MTD Yardman and park it in the garage. I turn the idle down to low and shut it off. I have not had any issues in ~17 years of ownership. The oil never smells or looks burnt. I do run Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30 in the crankcase and no ethanol fuel.

Just my $0.02

I've got an Ariens that's at least 30 years old, if we get a good snow dump I might run it for 4-5hrs straight with stopping only long enough to refuel. Overheating has never been a concern, closest thing to an issue I've had was the governor arm sticking from snow melting to it during a refueling stop when it was -30F out. Other than that it just keeps chugging along.

Back