How long on Havoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
running dino 5w-30 havoline and a napa gold filter. My commute is 110 miles a day round trip with 90% of that easy hiway at 70mph. I imagine I can go longer than 3000 miles as even the manual calls for 5000 mile oci's. What does the great wisdom here think I should do?

With so much driving I would think you'd be better off going with a good synthetic and running 10-15k intervals so you're not under your car changing oil so often.

quote:

Originally posted by CardGuy:
running dino 5w-30 havoline and a napa gold filter. My commute is 110 miles a day round trip with 90% of that easy hiway at 70mph. I imagine I can go longer than 3000 miles as even the manual calls for 5000 mile oci's. What does the great wisdom here think I should do?

I see no problem in the oil lasting that interval since you are talking highway miles. Do you have to stay inside the 5K window to maintain your warranty?

Start at 5,000 miles, do a UOA and follow their recommendation (I would absolutely get the Blackstone/Dyson analysis for Terry's evaluation.

I do about 70% highway also (my commute is roughly half yours) and the one UOA I did with Chevron Supreme 5w-30 (same as Havoline) showed it held up very well and provided excellent wear protection on a 4500 mile interval.

You say the manual calls for 5,000 mile OCI...is that the normal schedule or severe schedule? What type of vehicle is this?

Sorry, I fogot to mention what kind of vehicle it is. 2002 Mazda Protoge 2.0L. To keep warantee intact for another 30,000 miles I need to at least change the oil at 5000 miles so I'm not going to a good synthetic just yet. Too expensive at short intervals. I do my own changes and don't mind doing it. I just don't want to throw away perfectly good oil. I think I'll pull it out to 5000 this time which will be in about 3 weeks and do an analysis.

Cardguy, I've been using Havoline in all my vehicles since 1970. Never an oil related problem. The last 2 cars I changed every 5000 miles and got almost 300k before I sold and now have 265k on a 97 Pontiac. Just had UOA and the numbers still look good. My commute is about the same as yours.

A good choice on both the oil and filter. Personally, I wouldn't hesistate to go 5K changes in that ride.

Good choice brother...
cheers.gif

I use the same combination on my Ford Taurus with the Duratec engine. I generally go about 4,000 miles per oci. No oil ever needed for top up. I plan on keeping this car for my daily driver and am counting on making the engine top the 200,000 mile mark. Just hope that the rest of the car makes it that far.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Sorry, I fogot to mention what kind of vehicle it is. 2002 Mazda Protoge 2.0L. To keep warantee intact for another 30,000 miles I need to at least change the oil at 5000 miles so I'm not going to a good synthetic just yet. Too expensive at short intervals. I do my own changes and don't mind doing it. I just don't want to throw away perfectly good oil. I think I'll pull it out to 5000 this time which will be in about 3 weeks and do an analysis.

I also have an 02 Protege 2.0. Right now, I'm running Havoline Syn 5W30 - I should have a UOA on the car in a couple of weeks - I'm using the Syn because I found a good price on it at Advance - it held up magnificantly in my g/f's Eclipse over 3500 miles and Blackstone suggested extending that to 6000 based on the results - the sample I'll submit from the Protege will have @ 5K miles. I'll post the results here - based on my gut instinct, I think even the standard Havoline will be good for 5K miles.

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement to make it to 5k. I just passed 3k mark today and I was still just itching to change it, but I'll run it out to 5k and see what happens. Thanks again.

quote:

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement to make it to 5k. I just passed 3k mark today and I was still just itching to change it, but I'll run it out to 5k and see what happens. Thanks again.

If it's any comfort, I've got 44K on my 02 and I've done 5K changes on plain dino oil (til this last one where I scored the Havoline Syn) since day 1 - no oil consumption at all - no engine problems - excellent economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back