How long is to long for Mobil 1 to be in an engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a "new" from dealer, 2008 Corvette with the 6.2 liter V8. It has 430 miles on the car. It came with Mobil 1 5w30 in the engine. I am having an oil and filter changed with new Mobil 1 5w30 and new filter in a couple of days at the dealership and will have around 550 miles on it by that time. My question is do you think it hurt this engine to have this oil in it for so long? Live in Maui so no big temperture changes over the last 4 years that it had this oil in the engine. Since it is a new car that I bought the warranty starts now and I have 5 years and up to 100K miles for any problems to surface but I was just wondering what you guys think???

Wow, this thing remained unsold for that long?
I don't think it suffered any harm from having no real miles oil in it for however long it sat from build.
Internal corrosion might be an issue, but you do live in a moderate climate.
I'd say no harm was done.
As you note, you have five years and 100K to discover any latent problems with your engine.
I don't think you'll see any.

I guess it depends how those 430 miles were racked up. If it was just very short drives without engine getting up to operating temp long enough to burn off moisture/fuel, then having such contaminated oil in the crankcase for so long isn't ideal. With that said, I'm pretty sure it'll be OK.

Dealership cars get started and moved around the lot A LOT, so who know's what's been in the oil all this time.

Is this really a leftover 2008 from a Chevy dealer? I'm guessing not, as I'd find it amazing if that's the case. If it is I'd question them about it. After all they'll be the ones warrantying it. Otherwise, I'm of the opinion the oil is still fine. for a short break-in run. The factory fill is full of extra additives that are beneficial to break-in. If it we're mine I wouldn't keep it in too long seeing as it is 4 years old, I'd do maybe 3 months or change it when the car hits 1,000 miles, whatever comes first. Just my opinion, of course.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
The factory fill is full of extra additives that are beneficial to break-in.

I don't believe GM puts anything extra in the Corvette for it's factory fill, it's just regular Mobil 1. If it were mine, I'd change it out very soon, 4+ years of super short trip driving is not going to be kind to that oil.

I'd be interested to see a UOA on that oil though!

Originally Posted By: Patman

I don't believe GM puts anything extra in the Corvette for it's factory fill, it's just regular Mobil 1. If it were mine, I'd change it out very soon, 4+ years of super short trip driving is not going to be kind to that oil.

+1 - having owned 2 new ones I know for certain that nothing is added to the oil. It is the same oil that you can buy across the counter and is poured straight into the engine. I was able to tour the Bowling Green plant on 3 separate occasions and saw some of the ZR1s roll off the line. The oil was filled straight from an M1 drum and the line workers stated it was normal M1.

I would also change it as soon as I could to remove any acidity that may have built up through the past 4 years.

Congratulations and best of luck with it!

Originally Posted By: Patman

You might be right, I'm not really sure. But, doesn't all the assembly lube full of goodies in essence "spike" whatever the factory fill is?

Considering that the oil has been in the sump 4+ years and that the car has probably been jockeyed around the dealership
a lot, I'd dump what's in there immediately and give it a fresh fill of Mobil 1 5W30 and a new oil filter.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Considering that the oil has been in the sump 4+ years and that the car has probably been jockeyed around the dealership
a lot, I'd dump what's in there immediately and give it a fresh fill of Mobil 1 5W30 and a new oil filter.

+1

Agree with changing it ASAP.

Also I'd make the next OCI shorter. With your Humid salt climate I'd want to just flush out anything from all the idling and lot moves.

2008 sitting around 4 years later? With the current (and past 4 year) climate I can see why....

Bill

Have them save a couple of oz's when they drain the oil. Ask them to put in a clean, dry, plastic container. Have it sampled and that will give you the best idea of where you are in regards to the oil condition.

Dang baby living in Maui with a new Corvette! Just don't get a handicap tag, I saw one on a vette and it took all of coolness out of it.

Thanks guys for the posts. It is a brand new 2008, the dealers over here put a $10,000 additional amount over the MSRP, so the asked for selling price for this baby was $76K+. Guess what with the fact no one had any money and they are out of their minds asking $10K over MSRP it did not sell. So they had to take a big loss. I bought it for $40,250, being a new car with new factory warranty I thought not a bad deal
smile.gif
The Dealer is changing the oil this coming Thursday I will get a sample and have it checked just for the FYI of how Mobil 1 is after sitting for 4 years in a car that only got a total of 430 miles in that time period.

Would you put a 4+ year old bottle of Mobil 1 in your car?

well yeah you probably would, but you might not feel it's as "potent" as new stuff.

I'd say drain it and put some new in. Worst case scenario you're losing $30. Better safe than sorry.

Originally Posted By: Pitbull
Just bought a "new" from dealer, 2008 Corvette with the 6.2 liter V8. It has 430 miles on the car. It came with Mobil 1 5w30 in the engine. I am having an oil and filter changed with new Mobil 1 5w30 and new filter in a couple of days at the dealership and will have around 550 miles on it by that time. My question is do you think it hurt this engine to have this oil in it for so long? Live in Maui so no big temperture changes over the last 4 years that it had this oil in the engine. Since it is a new car that I bought the warranty starts now and I have 5 years and up to 100K miles for any problems to surface but I was just wondering what you guys think???

Pitbull,

When I bought my 08' Impala SS back around close to 2010 it was a left over car too just like your Corvette. To keep the warranty intact I drove the car on the factory oil until the OLM monitor told me to change it. The dealership didn't say anything about having old oil in it. So far since my first oil change I use Mobil 1 as a standard and I've had no issues with the motor at all except for going thought two batteries. If I were you I'd continue to use Mobil 1 as you please and drive it enough for you to satisfy the curiosity of internal corrosion if any. For sure put on/change the oil filter to a new one. Enjoy driving your Corvette as I wish I could have one. For me my best sports car I can fit in comfortable is the Impala SS.

By the way....how's the gas price over there in Hawaii and what brand of gas you use???? I heard there's allot of Valero gas stations in Hawaii compared to the others.

Durango

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

well yeah you probably would, but you might not feel it's as "potent" as new stuff.

I'd say drain it and put some new in. Worst case scenario you're losing $30. Better safe than sorry.

Big difference between oil that is in a bottle for 4 years (and I'd use it in a second without ANY concern) and the same oil that has been in a sump of the engine with UNKNOWN running conditions.

Bill

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

I had been using the left over M1 I bought from Pep Boys, in 2003 or 2004, in my cars the last few years. I still have 1 quart M1 15W50 red-cap in my garage, I'll use it as top off in my E430 this summer. Currently it has 1 quart below full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back