How long is oil good on the shelf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might go stock up on QS and Pennzoil tomorrow at pepboys. I think Ill get 2 cases of each since thats the max the rebate allows. I already have a case+ of GTX and a case of Formula Shell. That would be 6 cases in my garage. I go through about 13 quarts per round of oil changes for my cars, so thats 3 years worth or so. Is that too long to have it sit in the garage?

This question gets asked like clockwork every month or so. Shell currently states on their website 4-5 years shelf life for oils, or until the certification becomes obsolete. STP lists "indefinite" shelf lives for all their oil/fuel additives.

I tend to believe better oils will last longer.
tongue.gif
Seriously, this stuff is made for some pretty demanding conditions, sitting sealed on a shelf seems like no biggie.
grin.gif
Personally, I would not buy and store normal-grade oil reguardless of price. Sure a few flusher quarts is fine for when a friend needs a pre-change flush or just a top-off. I am guilty of having a 3 yr supply of GC on hand, but my reasoning is (was) lack of availability. Normal dino oil could become obsolete (except Havoline
wink.gif
) and could easily be replaced later, as needed. jmho

True dat, Junkie. Maybe I'll just get the 2 cases QS, since its $.79 a quart. Ill still be set for a while. I got the Shell for my tercel which burns a bit on startup and it is only $.59 a quart once I send in the silly rebate.

Oil goes on sale a lot. What if you buy all this oil and then decide to run a different brand or grade? Kind of locks you in long-term. However, with the upcoming SM oils, maybe it is wise to stock up now.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Oil goes on sale a lot. What if you buy all this oil and then decide to run a different brand or grade? Kind of locks you in long-term. However, with the upcoming SM oils, maybe it is wise to stock up now.

Assuming SM would be better or higher quality, why would I want to stock up on the current grade (SL?) ?

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:
Assuming SM would be better or higher quality, why would I want to stock up on the current grade (SL?) ?

I was assuming the SM would be worse than SL, being further tainted by CAFE. But maybe you are right. But who really knows at this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back