how long does redline last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello guys, you guys gave me advice to go with redline fluid for my 300zx non turbo 86.

well its been about a year now and the thing is hard to put in first and second and also grinds once in a while. i know im driving fine but it seems stiff. do you think since i just put it in, it cleaned out all the little things in there and now wants to be changed to some new fluid or am i overlooking something?

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001882

old post there

the transmission was rebuilt when it had 90k on it. back then when i put redline it had 117k and now its about 130k. 15k in a year...thats alot, any opinions?

sometimes i try to push the clutch in and take it out a few times to get it in geawr but now its not working that way...it seems i have to shove the sucker in gear, everything else checks out though.

thanks.

Redline should last 30-60k miles in a manual tranny gearbox. I noticed decreased shift quality after 40k miles or so. I now run Pennzoil Syncromesh and plan to change it at 30k/2 years. Its cheaper and I can purchase it locally.

PennSynch sure is handy to get, and is good. Still, I'd change it every year or two - it is a dino fluid.
How about ordering an appropriate fluid from Specialty Formulations?
Sure, a little more time and money, but if there is a better gearbox fluid made, I'd like to know.

Your problem does not seem fluid related. Check the adjustment of the clutch. It sounds like it's not completely disengaging.

Fluid level OK? If so, I agree with Rooy that it might be something else.

I've got 30K miles on the MT-90 in my Mazda3 and I don't plan on changing it until 60K. It still works like it did when I put it in.

i adjusted my clutch today, there was a bit of freeplay in it so ill road test it tomorrow and see what goes on.

well i drove it today, it seems great. once in a great while its hard to put in first or second, i have to put it in third or fourth then in first to get it in.

sometimes the tranny grinds in second and going to 3rd...even though this is a rebuilt tranny it still has the same issues as the stock one hehe. maybe that can be the cause comming to haunt me.

but at least i can get it in gear 9/10 times =)

Inspect the shifter. If you have any replaceable bushings/linkages, replace them.
Or, try an aftermarket shifter.

Is this a hydraulic clutch? did you bleed it? have the master/slave ever been replaced?

its hydrolic. the master and slave went out so i replaced it a year ago... but i always had issues with first gear but not like this one.

i may bleed it just for the **** of it again, the fluid in there is just a light brown still.

Have you ever greased the ball and socket joint the shifter "sits" in? On my '97 Max SE 5-speed I finally got around to this. what an amazing difference a bit of Redline synthetic grease made.

The old factory grease had turned into a hard white substance. I worked, with difficulty, some Redline grease in and it made a world of difference in the feel of the shifts.

Max came with nice hard plastic bushings in the likage and I greased these as well.

You might, rather than having to disassemble the shifter ball and socket, buy a grease needle from a farm tractor supply place. This fits on a grease gun and lets you shoot grease into tight places.

Here's something:

http://saltfishing.about.com/library/weekly/aaprreelsaver.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back