How Long Does It Take You...

Ever since I discovered ONR, about half an hour gives me this kind of results. Can't argue with it and I don't really have the inclination to spend hours washing a 13 year old vehicle.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Ever since I discovered ONR, about half an hour gives me this kind of results. Can't argue with it and I don't really have the inclination to spend hours washing a 13 year old vehicle.

[Linked Image]

That does look great. Is that the Wash and Shine ONR?

About an hour, a little less if I don't shine up the tires. Spray the wheels with cleaner, DIY car wash low-speed rinse, then high-speed, then spot-free. Dry the wheels and use the rubber blade on the glass. Then spray-wax as I dry, clean the wiper blade, spread the Natural Shine on the tires, and done.

That hour includes driving to and from the car wash, about 5 minutes each way.

A little more if I take out the floor mats (WeatherTech rubber) and bang them out, or if I vacuum.

About an hour, a little less if I don't shine up the tires. Spray the wheels with cleaner, DIY car wash low-speed rinse, then high-speed, then spot-free. Dry the wheels and use the rubber blade on the glass. Then spray-wax as I dry, clean the wiper blade, spread the Natural Shine on the tires, and done.

That hour includes driving to and from the car wash, about 5 minutes each way.

A little more if I take out the floor mats (WeatherTech rubber) and bang them out, or if I vacuum.

I have a 2013 Avalanche and I'm looking for a bed cover. I was trying to do my own research and found an article that has a comprehensive review here. I am leaning on getting the Bakflip F1 folding bed cover and would like to know if anyone has installed it and if it's sturdy enough? It seems to be a good review.

Exterior of one of my Jeeps takes between 2-3 hours, the interior a little less. It depends on the day and how many cups of coffee I had prior to the job. I won't do the interior and exterior on the same day any more.

Three or four hours? Most of the year in The Pesthole, if I spent that long working outdoors, I'd be dead from heat exhaustion/heat stroke. My usual weekly detail takes about an hour, and that's exhasuting enough. DIY car wash: Spray the wheels and tires, rinse at low speed, rinse at high speed; squeegee the windows and dry the wheels; spray wax as I dry. Then I doll up the tires when I park the car at home, and stagger indoors to detail me.

Twice a year I do the soap wash, claying, and hand waxing, but the timing depends on the weather.

I plan to add a soap and wash mitt wipedown to the routine. If I go to the Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 Wax, then a soap, rinse, and drying should be all I need most of the time.

Exterior of one of my Jeeps takes between 2-3 hours, the interior a little less. It depends on the day and how many cups of coffee I had prior to the job. I won't do the interior and exterior on the same day any more.

Agreed, I just can’t find the time to do inside and out.

One of the issues I run into is having a shady enough spot. My house has a good number of trees, but the sun is always in the wrong direction.

It’s easily 1-1.5hours to wash a vehicle and dry it, with no real other treatment besides perhaps spritzing on a spray-on/rinse off SiO2 sealant. Start spending more time on wheels, door jambs, etc and it can go up quick.

Then to dry fully and polish for real is more time. Maybe I just work too slow, but 2-3 hours minimum is the timeline of anything real is going to be done beyond washing.

And it’s hard to find that much time and it be cramped against other things going on, or it getting too dark.

Agreed, I just can’t find the time to do inside and out.

One of the issues I run into is having a shady enough spot. My house has a good number of trees, but the sun is always in the wrong direction.

It’s easily 1-1.5hours to wash a vehicle and dry it, with no real other treatment besides perhaps spritzing on a spray-on/rinse off SiO2 sealant. Start spending more time on wheels, door jambs, etc and it can go up quick.

Then to dry fully and polish for real is more time. Maybe I just work too slow, but 2-3 hours minimum is the timeline of anything real is going to be done beyond washing.

And it’s hard to find that much time and it be cramped against other things going on, or it getting too dark.
Typically I'll wash and dry the vehicle early in the morning, then detail it in the garage. Unfortunately I don't have the spunk I had when I was in my 40's or even my early 50's for that matter. As a result I have to pick my days, and take a little longer to do the job. I've said it before, nothing good comes from getting old. ;)

10-20 hours over a few days. Washing exterior including the the door jambs with detail brushes plus trunk or hatch jambs. 3-4 hours. Engine pressure wash at a car wash. 1 hour. Claying paint. 2-3 hours. Polish paint. 2-3 hours. Wax or sealant. 1-2 hours. Headlight polishing. 1-2 hours. Wheel detailing. 1-4 hours if they have to be removed. Interior. 2-3 hours. Usually only do this before selling.
Never go into business doing this. ;)

If I'm in the mood to do a full clean & detail, I'll be out there for 3-4 hours. Engine, fender wells, wheels & tires first, then pressure wash, followed by foam cannon & hand wash, microfiber towel dry, machine wax, treat all rubber & plastic, clean windows, dust, vacuum. Then drive through someone's sprinkler system runoff on the way to work the next day.

In the fall I vacuumed and swapped mats, washed the car well outside. Then machine compounded and polished, and hand waxed it, applied tire stuff and did the windows with Aqupel outside and cleaned them inside and wiped down the interior well. It took me about 5-5.5 hrs.

It then rained about an hour later.

Wash I can do in about an hour maybe 30 minutes in a rush. Wax probably an hour or 2. 3-5 hours for wash clay and wax on a truck or SUV. I usually hire a pro to shampoo the interior once a year since they have better tools then will ever make sense for me to buy. I keep the insides of the car very clean most of the time now that I’m in a VP role and don’t do any offsite meetings that don’t require a plane ride and rental car. When I was an outside drug rep my car was trashed inside with energy drink cans and old cups of coffee I’d go through every Friday for an hour and clean it out and then had the interior shampooed once every 3 months.

So, it made my nice clean car all dirty again.
And depending on what you use, the manufacturer may have a cure time listed during which you don't let it get wet, for optimal results. The stuff I use says at least 12 hours but 24 is optimal. Garage is really nice here.

A maintenance exterior wash from setup through cleanup takes me about an hour with a mid size or 75 minutes with the truck.

A more thorough wash and then protection application, sealant wax etc, really depends on the product, but I think I'm done with the old fashion wax on/wax off and just using spray/wipe now so the prep takes a lot longer than the sealant, especially if stripping the old and then getting the whole thing completely dry after

Back