How long does it take chicken to go bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say you put a raw chicken breast on the counter, in room temperature, and left it there for three months. What will happen to the chicken? Rot? Smell?

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Let's say you put a raw chicken breast on the counter, in room temperature, and left it there for three months. What will happen to the chicken? Rot? Smell?

In a few hours it would start having enough germs that makes it unhealthy/safe to be consumed.

It would decompose and start smelling like a dead rat after a few days.

If it is dry and the temperature is high enough, it would becomes chicken jerky instead of the above.

Sorry, no time lapse photos but will takes pics and post if it is still there.
45.gif

IIRC with raw chicken product like that you have two hours before cooking and two hours after cooking before it becomes "unsafe".

That's assuming it's out of the safe zone (41 to 139F). You need to keep it at 40 or below or 140 and above for safe holding.

What would happen? My wife would find you and hit you with a lamp.
She'd then hit me with said lamp, saying I dragged her into this forum and ruined her opinion of chicken permanently despite her never having laid eyes on said forum.
She'd simply smell the chicken from here.

I see my thread was moved to the food section, I intentionally did not put this in the food section because this chicken was NOT be to eaten. It is more of a, "let's see what happens if we do this."
55.gif

I see my thread was moved to the food section, I intentionally did not put this in the food section because this chicken was NOT be to eaten. It is more of a, "let's see what happens if we do this."
55.gif

You should be on the show Human Guinea Pig with ideas like that...
LOL.gif
(J/K)

It will rot and will smell after a couple of days of you putting it on the counter. In three months it will be liquid.

In my university days my girlfriends housemate put a package of chicken legs on top of the cupboards to thaw them out away from the cat...
A week later it smelled quite bad and was green and mouldy when they found it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
In my university days my girlfriends housemate put a package of chicken legs on top of the cupboards to thaw them out away from the cat...

This is promising information.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

This is promising information.
grin2.gif

Are you planning a surprise for someone?

Is research in binary fission your hobby?
banana2.gif

Bumping for update.
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

It will rot and will smell after a couple of days of you putting it on the counter. In three months it will be liquid.

Yes, it rots and turns into a black goo and smells horrid. Success.
55.gif

I worked in the meat department of a supermarket during college and can tell you that when packaged raw chicken goes bad, it starts smelling REAL bad. Beef and pork packages never smelled all that bad, even when it was visually obvious that they were past their prime. We had to clean the refrigerated chicken display cases three times as often as the others simply to keep the smell down. The juices would invariably leak out of the packages and drip into the bottom of the refrigerated case, stinking up the whole meat department.

Bumping for update.
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Yes, it rots and turns into a black goo and smells horrid. Success.
55.gif

Where did you place said chicken? If it was in your house, how were you able to stand the odor and maybe even the sight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back