How long do you wait to get gas?

I content myself with either of the 2 Krogers near me, both of which have at least 10-12 pumps. Almost never have to wait and if I do its only for 1 car. No problem for me as I'm not in a hurry and with fuel points its always the best option. Normal for me is $.50 off per gallon but sometimes more. All the other stations near me are small and at traffic intersections which makes getting in-out a pain especially if more than 2 cars there. I don't use them unless I have a special reason.

I don't remember the last time I wasn't able to pull right to the pump .

Gas is cheap here but I typically go to Costco or Sam’s Club or Murphy.
Costco and Sam’s Club is always cheaper but Murphy close and I get 5% cash back at all gas stations except Costco on Discover card for 3 months.
Visa card 2% on any purchase in the country any time of year.

I never really have a problem with the long lines at Sam’s Club or Costco, maybe it’s because most people go to the side of the gas pump where the vehicle gas cap is.
I go to any side of the gas pump that’s the shortest line. The gas pump hoses at Costco and Sam’s Club easily stretch across the length of a car to the opposite side of the vechicle.

What is really really convenient at Sam’s Club is I just scan the QR code on the gas pump with my cell phone and as quick as your snap your fingers I’m filling up my gas tank. No membership card no credit card it’s done all through the app

I hit up Costco in the evening usually. I've gone during the day though & only had a few cars in front of me. Upwards of $1/gal savings compared to Chevron & Shell

Gased up our TSX at Costco around 8:30 this morning; no wait. $5.79 for wannabe 91* premium.
Gased up my niece's Odyssey at a local station down the street arounf 12:30 PM, no wait. $5.71 for 87* rag.
Appears prices going up again...

$60 + $75 = Ouch! But no waiting and I should get a whopper of a certificate, so there's that.

I don't think I have ever waited to fill up.
If the pumps are all full, I just go somewhere else or fill up later.
I don't wait till I am at empty to fill up, so I have options.
Yeah, I’ve got more important things to than sit and waste fuel just to refuel

If I have to wait for one car at the pump, ok, but I'm not waiting longer than that unless I am saving at least $10. Even then that's not worth more than maybe six or eight minutes. These people that wait 20-30 minutes to save $5-10 is crazy to me.

At my Costco they added a third pump for each line and it goes pretty quick. I'll wait 5 minutes to save a few bucks. If I saved $3 every five minutes, I'd be making $36 an hour, tax free, or $74,880 per year at 40 hours a week. I'll take that while listening to music and playing with my phone.

I'm retired, and I'm a very early riser. So I go to the local ARCO, (cheapest place in town), VERY early. Usually around 3:00 AM to 4:00 AM. There isn't a soul around. And in the Summer, that is the coolest time of the day.

I'll generally gas up all 3 vehicles. I can't remember when I ever had to wait for a pump. During the day what bothers me, are all the people in line buying everything BUT gas. Lottery tickets, breakfast burritos, coffee, Jujubees, sweet rolls, cigarettes, etc.

I try to not to. If I see people taking up a pump unnecessarily, I’ll take more time to drive elsewhere.

The only time I wait is sometimes a station will be busy as they haven’t raise their gas price yet while others station around them have.

I try to not to. If I see people taking up a pump unnecessarily, I’ll take more time to drive elsewhere.

That is yet another reason I gas up in the very early morning hours. During the peak hours during the day I'll see cars parked at the pump with no one inside, while the drivers are inside the store, "shopping".

Once I pulled in when the place was packed, ( I got the last remaining open pump), went inside and paid, and filled both of my truck tanks, (30+ gallons total), went back in, got my change, came out, and the same car was still sitting there unattended.

Finally, while I was pulling out, the woman was getting in carrying a bagful of crap she bought inside. I don't know if she even got gas. If she did, it must have slipped her mind to move her vehicle. Instead of letting it sit there, tying up the pump for all that time.

Back